PDA

View Full Version : Adding Fish to a 180

NewSchool04
04/25/2007, 10:04 AM
I had a major disaster moving my 75 and 30 cube into my new 180, 100% fish loss.

The new tank is cycled and I'm looking for advice on how to add my new fish. I'll start out with what I'm planning on getting

3 purple tangs
1 powder blue tang
1 flame angel
1 strawberry psuedo
3 anthias (not sure yet what type)
2 Onxy clowns

What do you think about this fish list and how would you recommend that I add them?

Thanks for the help!

marie
04/25/2007, 10:15 AM
I would go with less tangs and more anthias and maybe even a pair of flame angels

BlueNWhite
04/25/2007, 12:47 PM
I agree with Marie. I would be careful with adding four aggressive tangs, and especially multiple of one kind.

I started out loving Tangs too, but then I moved on to Angels. I still have a few tangs though.

Good luck.

spoiledcats
04/25/2007, 03:10 PM
I have to agree. I definitely would not add 3 purple tangs. I would only have the one powder blue and 1 purple.

Gem Tang Rider
04/25/2007, 06:04 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9810790#post9810790 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by spoiledcats
I have to agree. I definitely would not add 3 purple tangs. I would only have the one powder blue and 1 purple.

I agree with that.

Strawberry psuedo = no cleaner shrimp

Also flame angels = less coral polyp extension. But maybe this is not going to be a reef tank.

kodyboy
04/25/2007, 06:05 PM
3 purples is asking for trouble. Either you have a lot, six or more, or one. I have found yellows to be a little more forgiving, but not much.
If you really want a shoal of tangs try hippos, they are far more tolerant of one another.

NewSchool04
04/25/2007, 06:27 PM
I've had both a coral beauty and flame angel, both were model citizens in my reef tank. I've also had strawberry psuedo's in almost every tank I've had (my daughters favorite) and all with cleaner shrimps, they've never gon near them. It's amazing that this is so subjective because everyone has so many different experiences!

One thing that I didn't know was how aggressive the purple tangs are. I knew they were considered a semi-aggressive tang, most tangs are, but they have really taken a hit with all the responders. I'm also a little surprised that 4 tangs of these families would be considered too much for a 180.

Looks like I have a lot more research to do. I'm also going to look out for a nice wrasse.