PDA

View Full Version : Too much heat in BC29, would Cadlights be better?

ghostman
04/24/2007, 08:24 AM
I downsized to a BC29 with the 4.36 nanotuners upgrades, and my temp is higher than I like, about 83-84. I initially liked the idea of the closed canopy, but now think that temps will soar this summer. My previous tank was 150 gallons open top with MH and was cooler running than this. My question is: would a cadlights system be better since it's open? Would the new 28g nanocube hold in too much heat? The tank is in an airconditioned home with ambient temperature around 78-80 in that area. Thanks.

Bonebrake
04/24/2007, 09:11 AM
If you have air conditioning I wouldn't be worried about the 83-84 temperature, as long as you keep your ambient temperature 78-80 regardless of what it is outside you should be fine. If it really bothers you, look into installing a better fan(s) that communicate with the air above the water to increase evaporation and thereby decrease temperature. I wouldn't change the whole system just because of a minor temperature issue unless you are looking to upgrade anyway. A topless tank will for sure be cooler though, and the new JBJ 28 gal. is going to be as hot as a blast furnace without a chiller. I think it will still run hot even if you replace the high wattage stock pumps, we'll see though once a few reefers get a hold of one and post their results.

:)

bilge rat
04/24/2007, 09:33 AM
I have the new 34 cad
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w71/Bumpasses/fts-4-24-07.jpg
and am tweaking it for the heat issues
had to mod the light with a pair of 40mm's blowing thru to opposite end this dropped the MH heat by 3 degrees
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w71/Bumpasses/fm-5.jpg
im at 78 normally then now when MH kicks on i creep up to 80 and there it sits...my MH is only on for 8 hrs a day. I had to install a fan for my MH ballast box below the tank stand for the heat the box was kicking off...burned my fingers on it yesterday. asside from the light mod and ballast box i have no heat issues and luv this tank thus far.
joshuah