PDA

View Full Version : is loc-line waterproof?

agoutihead
04/23/2007, 07:06 PM
as some of you may know, im having problems with my tank draining back into my fuge.

i do not want to rip my nano cube apart.

so i have found a possible alternative....

i have the bulkhead coming out of the bottom of my tank, i will then add a 90* elbow on it and put as tall of a staight pipe piece i can to bring the return pipe as high into the water as i can. i will then put another 90* elbow on it and put my nozzles on the end of that.

it should work as long as this loc-line stuff is pretty watertight.

is it?

agoutihead
04/23/2007, 07:55 PM
if they arent, i think im just going to position them exactly how i need and just silicon the edges all the way around, this way im good to go

connecticut cichlids
04/23/2007, 08:45 PM
if your asking if the seal between each segment is water tight...then your answer is yes..no need to use silicone

ryan115
04/23/2007, 09:41 PM
i dont know if it completly is...i do get some salt creep around some of the joints on my locline, but it is very, very slow at the worst

REHEM
04/23/2007, 10:42 PM
I've seen Loc-Line used in VERY high pressure fluid situations. As long as the individual joints in the strands are on securely, you're good as gold!

agoutihead
04/23/2007, 10:43 PM
hmm. well thats good to hear. so all joints tend to be pretty much water tight huh? even elbows and tips? i guess the straighter you keep the pieces, the more water tight they will be?

1F2FRFBF
04/23/2007, 10:44 PM
The FAQ's on modularhose.com say that Loc-Line is leak resistant, not leak proof.

http://www.modularhose.com/llworld.htm#Frequently

So that means you might get some seepage going on over time. It may also depend on how much pressure is in the line as well, but from what I see on the website it looks like it's used for industrial purposes - no low PSI there.

But being me, I decided to err on the side of caution and go with Loc-Line for adjusting water flow nozzles (which are over or partially in the water) and regular PVC or flex hose for the sections of plumbing that are outside the water.

agoutihead
04/23/2007, 11:10 PM
well most of my plumbing is underwater. pretty much bulkheads and locline. but i need to add a couple elbows and a couple of straight 3.5" pieces so that my DT doesnt flow back into my fuge during a power outage.

sounds like i should be alright though.