PDA

View Full Version : Bad Ballast?

salmon alley
04/22/2007, 09:10 PM
I'm running a BlueWave HQI ballast to power a de 250w Phoenix 14k bulb. 3 days ago the bulb quit lighting. When it clicks on, a blue/white arc can be seen traversing the inner bulb, but the bulb doesn't generate any additional light (never 'ramps up')
I pulled the bulb and one contact looked rough: slightly charred. I had an old 250W de AB 10K sitting around and popped it in. Lo and behold, light sprang forth. So I figured, "musta been a dead bulb". Well today (the AB having been running for 2 days)..the AB won't ramp up. Instead I get the same blue/white arc in the inner bulb. So now I'm thinking it may be a ballast issue.
Anyone had this sort of problem before? and How can I test the ballast to be sure?

Thanks

supertech3
04/22/2007, 10:58 PM
how many lamps are on your fixture?

salmon alley
04/23/2007, 06:46 AM
Single lamp fixture. ROIII pendant.

PaulErik
04/23/2007, 09:30 AM
The problem is the lamp is not sitting in the sockets properly. The charred end and small blue/white arc indicates the lamp end and the socket were not making the proper connection.

If the lamp has a small blue/white arc (initial/starting arc) the HQI ballast is operating properly but you have a lose connection and is most likely arcing which will not allow the lamp to operate. Check the condition of the sockets. If the metal contacts are charred you should replace them.

salmon alley
04/23/2007, 08:14 PM
Well, it would seem that you are correct in your assessment.
I pulled the second bulb to have a look: First off, the bulb was stuck on one end and wouldn't come out. When I finally got it out, the end of the bulb was charred and deteriorated (after only 2 days!) and the contact in the fixture broke off (it was really brittle).
So I guess I need to replace the sockets.
Any idea where to get new ones?

supertech3
04/23/2007, 09:05 PM
check these if they are what you need
http://www.hellolights.com/lampclips.html