PDA

View Full Version : Lighting?

Onealjc
04/22/2007, 04:03 PM
Hello all, i have a couple of quick questions, In the past I have only kept fowlr tanks mostly with a couple of mushrooms here and there nothing special.I have just recently bought a 55g and I want to really try to get into coral with this one. Im plan to do some mushrooms, polyps, zoos, nothing real difficult. Im having a problem on which light to get im considering a Current Usa Orbit, seen one at a lfs seems to be a nice set up anyone have any experience with it? There has seem to be alot of flare up about T5's lately I saw that Current Usa also made a Nova with T5's but no individual reflectors seem to be a problem. I wasnt really prepared to spend 375-400+ on an Aquactinics T5 either. So I guess what I am asking is which should I go with being on a college student budget I would like to keep it around 200. But if there was no other solution than the Aquactinics I would have to consider it.

Onealjc
04/22/2007, 08:28 PM
Any advice anyone?

Onealjc
04/23/2007, 12:39 PM
Bump

jer77
04/23/2007, 02:04 PM
I have no experience with Current PC fixtures but I do have a Coralife Aqualight 4X65W PC fixture. The Coralife has caused me all kinds of problems. The biggest problem was the endcaps where the bulb attaches to the ballast wires. IMO they are poorly made and they overheated and rusted the bulbs in place so they wouldn't come out. Luckly I'm skilled in electric DIY so I could fix the problem with generic endcaps.

So I would be careful in researching whether the Current's are better than the Coralife's. From what I have seen, they probably are. And also keep all moisture away from the light.

But as far as PC fixtures go they should be fine for lighting just mushrooms, zoos, most softies and some LPS.