PDA

View Full Version : phosban/sulphur denitrator

doonan75
04/21/2007, 09:51 PM
Does anyone know if you can use the phosban reactor as a sulphur denitrator. If so what would be involved. I think it could be done useing sulphur on the bottom and put a layer of calcium reactor media on top for buffering. To me this would be a lot cheaper than the koralin or milwaukee ones Any thoughts?

doonan75
04/22/2007, 08:37 AM
no one has any insight?

jelwyoming
04/22/2007, 09:50 AM
I have been thinking the same thing. I am also wondering about the product that the ARM manufacturer puts out that appears to be a sulfur argonite mix of some sort. Perhaps that would work in a posban reactor without having to pack or protect the sulfur layer. I think it is called NO-Nitrate. I cannot find any where that says how it is supposed to be used. Perhaps it goes in your CA reactor and works two ways???

klasiksb
04/22/2007, 10:07 AM
It might work, but there really wouldn't be enough volume of sulfer to work on any tank of any size though. Plus there would be no recirculating pump on it, don't know if that would make a difference.

Jar*Head
04/22/2007, 10:34 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9785545#post9785545 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by klasiksb
It might work, but there really wouldn't be enough volume of sulfer to work on any tank of any size though. Plus there would be no recirculating pump on it, don't know if that would make a difference.

I don't think PO4 reactor will work as the sulter/nitrate reactor. As mentioned above, you need to recirculate the water and the effluent will be very very slow (1 drop per sec or less). If your effluent too high, you will destroy the bacteria. It may lead to some serious problem.

doonan75
04/22/2007, 11:32 AM
Couldn't you just put a valve on the end to regulate the out flow?

klasiksb
04/22/2007, 11:48 AM
doonan, we are talking a drop per second, upwards of 3-4 per sec. Your better off building your own nitrate reactor or buying a commercial model.

doonan75
04/22/2007, 12:05 PM
Do you have a link to any plans?

Thanks for your help

klasiksb
04/22/2007, 12:43 PM
Are you familiar with a calcium reactor?

It is the same thing, except you don't inject co2 into it. You recirculate the water from top to bottom (so it flow up through the media). Feed tank water into it and drip it out.

Jar*Head
04/22/2007, 01:52 PM
It is good to save a few bucks here and there but this is something you need to be seriously thinking about. Cuz if anything go wrong with your DIY stuff, you'll send all your corals and other live stock to heaven which will cost twice or 3x's as much. I rather go with what available out there. JMO