PDA

View Full Version : Foxface Rabbit Fish concerns

Hemmie
08/29/2002, 02:56 PM
Sorry about that....I'm having trouble getting this to post and the pic wont upload....heres the post (I hope)

I recently acquired a Foxface and have some concerns about him. I did no research prior, as this guy was kind of dumped on me.

He seems terribly skinny, and wants to eat, but seems to sample things and spit them out. Are they supposed to be plump? I did read that they were voracious eaters, but this guy seems to pick at the rocks a lot, not really eating anything that I can see.

Hes very skittish. He swims freely until I approach the tank, then he practically faints. He turns all mottley and kind of plasters himself against a rock.

He also seems to have an identity crises.:D He swims right along with the Chromis, even turning different shades of brown while he's doing it. My Clown fish nestle down in my feather dusters, and the Foxface will snuggle right down there with them, looking absolutely ridiculous. He just seems to want to be with someone.

He acts ok to a point, I'm just concerned that he seems so confused and frightened, and that he's so emaciated.

Will he come along, or is this natural behaviour? His history is vague (he kind of came from a neglectful owner who actual came over and dumped him in my tank.) I shouldnt say neglectful, actually, just a little less concerned about her fish than I am mine.

I've tried all the "green things" such as Nori, Spirulina, even broccolli. I've had him only a few days, but would certainly like to save him if I could. He seems very sweet.

I've gleaned *some* info in my searches here, but nothing that addresses the problems that I think I'm having.

Thanks..

chicki
08/29/2002, 03:14 PM
Congrads on your foxface! They are a wonderful fish, although skittish at first...both of mine eat out of my hand now (it took about 3 weeks) I would hang some nori on a clip and leave it for the day. I'd also offer other types of food, as many vareties as you possibly can. Mine ate nori first, then marine angel fare second, then mysis and meaty foods last. Now he goes for anything.
When I just had one (virgates) he followed the angel around constantly. After I got the foxface, they are together all the time. I really think this fish loves and needs the company of others. They are super peacefull with everything.
It would be super IMO if you could find another one to go with him or anyother larger type fish for him to hang out with.
Give him time, and keep us posted.

Hemmie
08/29/2002, 03:17 PM
Chicki...thanks! I can have 2 together? He does seem like he wants company. I'll keep on trying diff foods. He really seems like a nice fish. (I hope this posts..I'm having a heck of a time today)

:)

chicki
08/29/2002, 03:49 PM
By all means! infact there are quite a few different looking rabbitfish, and they all get along famously! They are very peaceful and super tough. Known to survive almost total wipeouts! Go to wetweb media and pick out another one!

Dwayne
08/29/2002, 04:02 PM
Hemmie

Sounds like regular rabbitfish behavior. Take chicki's advice on the veggie click and food offering.

What size tank do you have?

Dwayne

Hemmie
08/30/2002, 09:05 PM
Hi Dwayne,
I have a 75 FOWLR. This guy is pretty interesting. He worries me a bit, but seems to be hanging in there picking at the rocks all day.

Maybe I'll look around for some Fox friends.