PDA

View Full Version : Well water has TDS of 8PPM, Normal?

gummyworms
04/21/2007, 08:15 PM
Hello,

I'm getting my first reef tank set up, and just hooked up the RO/DI tonight. I got the unit from purelyH20, with a built in IN/OUT TDS meter. I'm getting a reading of 8PPM for the IN, and of course, 0 OUT. Seems quite low to me, considering city tap water is normally 300-600+ PPM.

Maybe I just have really clean well water? Is it even possible to have water this good with no filtration? There is a water softener connected upstream of the RO/DI, could this be affecting the TDS reading?

Thanks!
Shawn

Conesus_Kid
04/21/2007, 09:04 PM
Need a roommate?:D

If you have the TDS meter hooked up correctly, you can expect your resins and membranes to last a while!

keinreis
04/21/2007, 09:35 PM
most of the time the in out meters are to meter in and out of the DI only. The in is commonly placed on the IN to the DI and the out is of course the out of the DI. I would guess that 8ppm reading is after RO. It all depends on how it is hooked up. I always liked it better because I could care less what the raw in water TDS was, but that config will always let you know what the TDS of the water is after the RO, and then also after the RODI.

gummyworms
04/21/2007, 10:08 PM
Ahh, that makes a lot of sense. I thought I had just found a new place for Aquafina to open up a natural spring bottling plant. =P