PDA

View Full Version : Trickle filter in sump what to do with?

jasonak
04/21/2007, 02:59 PM
Hi

I just bought a 120 second hand it has a sump about ten gallons,in it were a airstone protein skimmer,a bottle with a tube running around in it,i found out that some nitrate removal thing and a box full of bioballs.looks like a nice little setup but its dated from what i read on here.im just wondering now if i shoud even use it at all.

I got it all setup and running but not going to use the pump as it way to loud im going to use a powerhead /or pond pump as a return pump instead.Ive read everywhere not to use the bio balls,and im going to get a diffrent Protein skimmer. so really im not sure why id use it? if im not using bioballs in the trickle filter what do you put in there? do even use it?

i have a 15 gallon as well as a 20 gallon tank i could stick underneath instead was what i was thiking??

my tank is going to have live rock,and fish as well.im not going to have any corals.unless somthing comes on my live rock.

i not sure how to post a picture of it? im trying to upload a picture to my gallery now,its called a reefkeeper made bye a colorado company called GLC

thanks
jason

matttaylor
04/21/2007, 03:15 PM
just remove the bio balls, and place carbon / filter media / skimmer / heater where the bio balls were. If the tank already has the filter built in, then utilize the space as a sump instead of the intended wet/dry.

reef_doug
04/21/2007, 03:23 PM
LR maybe?

skwirl
04/21/2007, 03:34 PM
rubble?? sure.. works fine.. but since your not going to have corals in there then its not a bad idea to use the bioballs imo.. how much lr are you going to put in there starting off?

makdoogle
04/21/2007, 04:52 PM
I agree with skwirl, if this will be a fowlr then using the bioballs will be ok IMO.

jasonak
04/21/2007, 06:59 PM
im going to start with 30 maybe 40 lbs thats all i can afford right now,i would like to add mushrooms and maybe pollyps some day