PDA

View Full Version : Typhoon Skimmer

Pages : [1] 2 3

EvilE
04/20/2007, 10:56 PM
Hey, I just received my new Typhoon skimmer in the mail today!! Anyone use these? I have heard great things about them! I am gonna put it on my 30 gallon. It is rated for up to 110 gallons. If anyone uses these, hit me up with some tips/ tricks!! It is my first and only skimmer, and I have no idea what's what yet with it..... I have questions for you!!!!;)

luke33
04/20/2007, 11:00 PM
Search for some threads....there's been alot of recent info about them. Or just ask kodyboy. lol

EvilE
04/20/2007, 11:08 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9778132#post9778132 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by luke33
Search for some threads....there's been alot of recent info about them. Or just ask kodyboy. lol The search function never works.....:(

luke33
04/20/2007, 11:15 PM
Here's how to get by that....lol, go to home, then go to the search funtion on the left tab, search RC for it, you'll find more than enough info that way. SOrry, hope you don't think im being rude. I know those skimmers work well, especially for teh money. The only prob i've heard is if you have a power outage they may start a syphon. ANyhow, do a search man!

kodyboy
04/20/2007, 11:19 PM
A couple of things first.
1) make sure the water level is right at the angle of the collector top
2) when you start up the skimmer take the cap off of the return pipe, take off the return line as well. Then when the water starts put the cap back on (the slits on the cap/return pipe shoud line up so the water can flow easily at first) then slowly turn the cap to bring the water level up in the skimmer. When the level is set put the drain hose back on.
I have been playing around with mine and sometime a siphon can form when the skimmer starts up and drain tank water out the drain tube. The above avoids that . I am going to drill a small hole in the top of the black drain elbow, hopefully that will eliminate the siphon problem without interfering with skimate formation. The other mod I am going to try is a gate valve, that little plastic cap is a PITA! Cheap and effective, but annoying. A gate valve would be a whole lot easier. When I am done I will post.

luke33
04/20/2007, 11:25 PM
lol, The D&D rep is here!

EvilE
04/20/2007, 11:39 PM
Man that whole syphoning thing scares me!! We have a couple power outages a year, and that could drain my tank.......maybe I shouldn't have bought this skimmer.....

kodyboy
04/20/2007, 11:41 PM
I do not think the siphoning is a huge problem, I had to really play with mine to get it to siphon. A small hole in the top of the return line should fix it.

luke33
04/20/2007, 11:42 PM
If your real scarred, put a milk jug in a 10-20g rubbermaid, that way if it does ever syphon...no worries

EvilE
04/20/2007, 11:48 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9778419#post9778419 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kodyboy
I do not think the siphoning is a huge problem, I had to really play with mine to get it to siphon. A small hole in the top of the return line should fix it. Should I drill a small hole there?

luke33
04/20/2007, 11:51 PM
If the worry is syphoning, then drill a hole in the return on both sides, right at the water level........i'm sorry, but is that what the freakin fuss was about. LAME! That takes 2 secs to fix(not talkin bout you evile)

EvilE
04/20/2007, 11:51 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9778427#post9778427 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by luke33
If your real scarred, put a milk jug in a 10-20g rubbermaid, that way if it does ever syphon...no worries You would think they would have thought of this before selling these. They say on the box that their products are tested for a year before being released to the market. They should have made some sort of check valve or something......

kodyboy
04/20/2007, 11:55 PM
luke,
The problem is in the skimmate drain tube, not the return tube. The only worry that I have is the siphon neccessary for proper skimmate migration down the tube.......I don't think so but I will find out next week.

EvilE
04/20/2007, 11:57 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9778514#post9778514 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kodyboy
luke,
The problem is in the skimmate drain tube, not the return tube. The only worry that I have is the siphon neccessary for proper skimmate migration down the tube.......I don't think so but I will find out next week. now I'm confused--where are you gonna drill a hole? At the top of the drain elbow?

kodyboy
04/21/2007, 12:02 AM
I was thinking either the top of the elbow or right in the side of the flexible tubing where it attaches to the elbow. Remember this is not a huge problem and it took some effort for me to actually get a siphon to form.

EvilE
04/21/2007, 12:22 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9778560#post9778560 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kodyboy
I was thinking either the top of the elbow or right in the side of the flexible tubing where it attaches to the elbow. Remember this is not a huge problem and it took some effort for me to actually get a siphon to form. Yeah, but you don't know my kind of bad luck....if something bad can happen, it will to me.....

kodyboy
04/21/2007, 12:35 AM
As luke said simply put the hose in a large bucket/rubbermaid if you are concerned.

EvilE
04/21/2007, 12:56 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9778719#post9778719 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kodyboy
As luke said simply put the hose in a large bucket/rubbermaid if you are concerned. yeah, that'll look great in my livingroom. They claim to take such pride in their products, and release them without thinking things through. Shody. I should have gotten that Bak Pak 2........

Robert German
04/21/2007, 07:21 AM
Contact D&D on their web-site,they have an elbow and motor quieting kit they'll send you to cure any syphon problems and possible motor noise. I ordered a Typhoon and contacted D&D about the kit and they E-mailed me that one was on the way. By the way the kit is free. They also said that with over 4000 units sold,there is only about a dozen reports of any syphon problems,and that many things have to done wrong to cause a syphon.

EvilE
04/21/2007, 04:23 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9779431#post9779431 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Robert German
Contact D&D on their web-site,they have an elbow and motor quieting kit they'll send you to cure any syphon problems and possible motor noise. I ordered a Typhoon and contacted D&D about the kit and they E-mailed me that one was on the way. By the way the kit is free. They also said that with over 4000 units sold,there is only about a dozen reports of any syphon problems,and that many things have to done wrong to cause a syphon. Thanks Robert--I will surely contact them!!;) :cool:

Robert German
04/21/2007, 06:24 PM
D&D's fix is just an elbow with a hole drilled in the top of the drain elbow with a 1/8 in. inside measure, plastic pipe in the hole with about an 1-1/2 in. extra of that pipe bent down towards the water. The power goes off and the little pipe sucks air and blocks any water being syphoned out.:p

eguaym
04/22/2007, 11:05 AM
I got the elbow with the hole drilled in the top from D&D and now everything is working great, much better than the remora I had. The motor is very noisy though

EvilE
04/22/2007, 03:31 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9785851#post9785851 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by eguaym
I got the elbow with the hole drilled in the top from D&D and now everything is working great, much better than the remora I had. The motor is very noisy though cool--I emailed them, hopefully they'll send me the fixed parts.....

The Saltwater Kid
04/23/2007, 11:29 AM
Okay, I know kodyboy has had great luck with his Typhoon but what about you others who own one, how does it perform? I am interested in this skimmer but would like more then one guy to say it's great :-).

The Saltwater Kid
04/23/2007, 02:54 PM
bump

The Saltwater Kid
04/23/2007, 08:53 PM
nobody else wants to step up here and say ye or ne about this skimmer (not knocking you kodyboy...just would like to see a couple of others with this skimmer step to the plate and critique this skimmer)???

EvilE
04/23/2007, 08:54 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9787116#post9787116 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by EvilE
cool--I emailed them, hopefully they'll send me the fixed parts..... I emailed them, they never got back to me....

EvilE
04/23/2007, 08:55 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9796843#post9796843 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by The Saltwater Kid
nobody else wants to step up here and say ye or ne about this skimmer (not knocking you kodyboy...just would like to see a couple of others with this skimmer step to the plate and critique this skimmer)??? As soon as I get mine going, I will let you know how well it is working

Robert German
04/24/2007, 11:10 AM
Just hooked mine up and the motor is quiet like no other skimmer I've ever had. Fair amount of bubbles going into the tank right now but the break in time has just started. When I plugged it in it filled the reaction chamber up almost to the line they recommend for operation. I didn't have to adjust the outlet valve at all yet.
Will let you know more as it breaks in more.

Robert German
04/24/2007, 05:59 PM
If Kodyboy is around I would like to ask him a couple questions.
How do you adjust the venturi valve,---wide open,--or just so it has a good micro bubble cloud in the reaction chamber.
Also, how long is the "break in" period for this skimmer? The tank is about 1 1/2 months old and did have a Tunze 9002 on it that did produce some skimmate,but I don't think the 9002 is big enough for anything over 20 gals.,and thats why I'm trying the Typhoon.
Will the micro bubbles going into the tank drop off a lot when the skimmer is broken in.
I hope this skimmer works out,never had one that runs as quiet as this one.

EvilE
04/24/2007, 08:19 PM
I emailed them again, with no response about the upgrade fix kit!!! ***????

Scoobydude825
04/24/2007, 09:19 PM
I used to have one until I over tightened it and broke it. It wasn't a bad skimmer all around. I had to use a sock to trap the microbubbles. I had it running for over 2 months and it produced bubbles the entire time. But it did produce alot of skimmate. It was alittle loud so I'm not going to buy another one. I'm still trying to figure out which one to buy.

EvilE
04/24/2007, 11:33 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9805442#post9805442 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Scoobydude825
I used to have one until I over tightened it and broke it. It wasn't a bad skimmer all around. I had to use a sock to trap the microbubbles. I had it running for over 2 months and it produced bubbles the entire time. But it did produce alot of skimmate. It was alittle loud so I'm not going to buy another one. I'm still trying to figure out which one to buy. What did you overtighten??

Robert German
04/25/2007, 10:15 AM
Evile;
Try this E-mail address: DandDmarine@DandDmarine.com
or the phone # 502 747 8562

kodyboy
04/25/2007, 05:54 PM
I leave my skimmer venturi wide open, I have even added an airpump and that helps a little.
The microbubble go away pretty quickly, at least they did on mine.
I would think a great mod for this would be a small oceanrunner nw pump. Changing this unit to a needlewheel, and improving the pump could really improve performance!
Evile----the fix is a small hole through the L bracket of the skimmate return, and a little piece of rigid airline tubing......rather easy to do yourself.

Scoobydude825
04/25/2007, 06:57 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9806648#post9806648 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by EvilE
What did you overtighten??

I overtightened the ring that holds the collection cup in place. I twisted it and I wasn't holding it correctly and the return pipe came free and shattered the bubble chamber. It was my fault and I'm lucky that I broke my skimmer and not my tank.

EvilE
04/25/2007, 07:29 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9812472#post9812472 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Scoobydude825
I overtightened the ring that holds the collection cup in place. I twisted it and I wasn't holding it correctly and the return pipe came free and shattered the bubble chamber. It was my fault and I'm lucky that I broke my skimmer and not my tank. I thought there was no collection cup....:confused:

kodyboy
04/26/2007, 05:41 AM
concentrator top?

The Saltwater Kid
04/26/2007, 08:44 AM
wait, is the anti-siphon mod on the elbow coming from the drain cup where the drain hose is attached or the actual return into the tank itself?

Robert German
04/26/2007, 09:34 AM
You drill the hole in the return line elbow on the left side of the skimmer when your facing it. It's the line that also leads to the water flow control cap on the end of that line. Make the hole in the top of the elbow and only big enough to put about 1 1/2in. piece of airline tubing 1/8in. in dia.,and point the tubing down towards the tank because a little stream of water will be running through it all the time. Hope this helps.
PS, it's the top elbow on the line.

Robert German
04/26/2007, 06:36 PM
Kodyboy! The Typhoon is making some good working foam and starting to produce some wet skimmate, only after set up a little more than 2 days.One question where do you have the foam line set on your Typhoon. Mine is set where D&D recommends,about a half inch below where the concentrater starts to angle.
Thanks.

luke33
04/26/2007, 08:23 PM
This thread is bunk without pics!!!!!! lol Bump for some typhoon pics

EvilE
04/26/2007, 08:28 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9820955#post9820955 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by luke33
This thread is bunk without pics!!!!!! lol Bump for some typhoon pics Yeah Kody and Robert!!! Post some pics of your typhoon in action!!!

kodyboy
04/26/2007, 08:36 PM
I keep my water/foam line where D&D suggests
I have some, very small, pics in my gallery:)

EvilE
04/27/2007, 08:30 PM
Well I finally got a hold of them--they are great!! I talked to Dave himself (the president of the company) and he never received my numerous emails due to a spam filter malfunction. He is sending me out the upgrades Fed EX--should get them next week sometime. He emailed me today and wanted to pass this along to others here:

Erik,

My name is Dave Gauss, I am the president of D & D Marine Enterprises Inc. one of our customer service reps informed us that your e-mails had not gotten to us, fist please accept my apology for your inconvenience.

We found your e-mails, they had been junked by our filters. Our spam filters have a list of key words in the body or subject line that are to be allowed to pass. Apparently
that set of definitions had gone off line. Unfortunately today spam filters are a must, we get over 1,000 junk mails a day to the company.

THANK YOU for letting us know there was a problem.

PLEASE. do me a favor and post on reef central that if anyone has e-mailed us and not had a response, that we apologize and to try again.

We NEVER want folks to think we have ignored a request for assistance. Customer service, is an area we try to excel in, and take pride in the fact that we get a great many e-mails telling us that our customer service is a notch above most.

Thank you again, If you need any further assistance please let us know.

Best wishes

--
David S Gauss
President
D & D Marine Enterprises Inc.
WWW.danddmarine.com
502-747-8562

luke33
04/27/2007, 10:24 PM
David S Gauss(aka Kodyboy).......the question continues! lol

luke33
04/27/2007, 10:25 PM
ps, this thread is still bunk with no pics!

kodyboy
04/28/2007, 12:14 AM
wow you found out my true name......well maybe not:)
I for one would love to see what a typhoon modded with a small needlewheel would do......maybe I will buy one and give it a shot...

The Saltwater Kid
04/29/2007, 11:37 AM
I think we should all chip in and buy kodyboy a real camera so he can takes pics that are visible to the naked eye :crazy1:

EvilE
04/29/2007, 12:54 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9837875#post9837875 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by The Saltwater Kid
I think we should all chip in and buy kodyboy a real camera so he can takes pics that are visible to the naked eye :crazy1: :D :lol:

EvilE
05/03/2007, 07:35 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9816389#post9816389 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Robert German
You drill the hole in the return line elbow on the left side of the skimmer when your facing it. It's the line that also leads to the water flow control cap on the end of that line. Make the hole in the top of the elbow and only big enough to put about 1 1/2in. piece of airline tubing 1/8in. in dia.,and point the tubing down towards the tank because a little stream of water will be running through it all the time. Hope this helps.
PS, it's the top elbow on the line. Ok I got my fix kit today from them--so it is NOT the top elbow for the skimmate drain line right? If I understand your post, it is the top elbow on the water return, not the elbow near the cap? They should have posted some sort of instructions or explanation with it.

kodyboy
05/03/2007, 07:46 PM
you guys are frickin hillarious, to the naked eye.......
I just do not know how to make my pics small enough (meg wise) and still larger, I think my camera takes pics that are in the 5-6 megapixel range, how do I get them to be larger while reducing the megapixel number to 500K?
I have never seen the fix from D&D marine myself, so maybe I should order one and get a pic for all here.

pjf
05/03/2007, 07:55 PM
On the photo gallery webpage (http://www.reefcentral.com/gallery/), there are links to image resizers that will reduce the size of your image. Look under the "Attention All Members" line.

luke33
05/03/2007, 08:40 PM
Kodyman, go to photobucket and open a free acount, takes 5 seconds, tehn you upload teh pics to your hardrive and upload them to photobucket. After that you copy the code from photobucket and post it here and the pic s are as large as you want them......no worries about the 500k crap. lol

kodyboy
05/03/2007, 08:43 PM
thanks guys!

luke33
05/03/2007, 09:31 PM
Kody....don't think.....post some pics!!!!!!!!!! Once again, i'll say it, this thread sucks without pics....3 pages, 0 pics. ?????

The Saltwater Kid
05/03/2007, 09:45 PM
Alright Kodyboy, you had better be right about this skimmer...I just sold my Remora today and ordered a Typhoon from DF&S...I hope I won't regret it...lol. From all of your talk...and your smurf pics of skimmate I want this thing to blow away my old Remora and make me forget about it :-). Also, what size airline tubing do i need for the drain? Should I run it through vinegar once before sticking it in the tank (if so how much vinegar)? By the way...what luke33 said, go to photobucket.com and set up a free account and follow the simple instructions and you'll be able to post big-boy pics :-)!!!

luke33
05/03/2007, 09:50 PM
Hey Kid, you could take a cup a day out of your tank of water and it would do more than your old remora.....ups bought mine for 200 bux! lol, after they broke the old remora pro, it was a blessing in disguise! Thanks UPS!

EvilE
05/03/2007, 10:47 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9871696#post9871696 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by EvilE
Ok I got my fix kit today from them--so it is NOT the top elbow for the skimmate drain line right? If I understand your post, it is the top elbow on the water return, not the elbow near the cap? They should have posted some sort of instructions or explanation with it. anyone know for sure??:confused:

EvilE
05/03/2007, 11:36 PM
Nevermind, I'm not as think as you dumb I am!!! LOL!!! I figured it out. It can't be the skimmate elbow, because it is a different size, it is indeed the top elbow of the flow return, with the siphon tube pointing down. I installed it tonight. That is really the only place for that elbow--it makes sense now.

The Saltwater Kid
05/04/2007, 07:17 AM
EvilE how do you like your Typhoon? I hope you're thrilled with it so that means I'll be thrilled with mine :-).

The Saltwater Kid
05/04/2007, 07:20 AM
By the way, here is the response I got from D&D about the anti-siphon kit for the Typhoon...

Hello Justin,

Sorry for the delay in response, we just discovered that some e-mails were being trapped by our spam filters.

It seems that in a few rare cases if just the right set of circumstances arise, an overflow can occur.

To date it appears to have something to do with a powerhead or something causing a flow across the outlet nozzle. This can cause air to get trapped in the outlet pipes.

We do offer a fix for it. It is an elbow that replaces one part on the skimmer. It simply allows any trapped air to automatically purge from the line. With this set up we have deliberately forced air into the piping to create an aggravated situation in an attempt to force an overflow. This purge elbow prevented any overflow from occuring.

If you will send us your name, address, phone number, and dealer where the unit was purchased. We will be happy to send you a part out.

Best wishes

--
D & D Marine Enterprises
Customer Service
WWW.danddmarine.com
502-747-8562

The Saltwater Kid
05/04/2007, 12:04 PM
Any idea as to what size airline tubing I'll need for the drain cup?

The Saltwater Kid
05/04/2007, 04:02 PM
anybody?

kodyboy
05/04/2007, 04:49 PM
I think it is half inch ID, but not 100% on that:)

EvilE
05/04/2007, 06:46 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9874553#post9874553 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by The Saltwater Kid
EvilE how do you like your Typhoon? I hope you're thrilled with it so that means I'll be thrilled with mine :-).

I haven't hooked it up yet. I currently have a 30 gallon tank, but am gonna be upgrading to my 55 gallon in a few weeks, so I am just gonna wait till I do that.

EvilE
05/04/2007, 06:53 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9876265#post9876265 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by The Saltwater Kid
Any idea as to what size airline tubing I'll need for the drain cup? I believe it's 5/8" tubing. I just took the drain elbow off, and went to HD, and found the correct size vinyl tubing, and bought 10 ft. of it. I think it cost like $4

kodyboy
05/04/2007, 08:45 PM
was that 5/8th OD and 1/2 ID?

EvilE
05/04/2007, 10:17 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9879539#post9879539 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kodyboy
was that 5/8th OD and 1/2 ID? I think so

nivram
05/06/2007, 12:16 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9879539#post9879539 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kodyboy
was that 5/8th OD and 1/2 ID?

That is the correct size tubing you will need. I also purchased a a valve to close off the line when I need to empty out the waste container (old 1 gal water jug.)

I received my unit yesterday. After trying to convince my wife I had no idea what was in the box. She didn't believe Santa sent me an early gift. I opened it up and looked thru the instructions.

The unit looks sturdy enough. It comes with enough material to adjust it to the width of your tank wall / perimeter. Also comes with teflon tape for the threads. Noticed the O-ring for the collection cup had no o-ring lube on it. Not a big deal but probably will put some on in the future when I break it down for cleaning.

I connected everything up per instructions. One of the last steps stated to turn the encap on the water outlet to adjust flow to a water line indicated in the instructions. This is when I noticed 2 things: 1) My collection cup had no line on it. I simply estimated based off the picture. On my unit there is a sticker which is about where the instrustions show the line. 2) The encap/ flow restrictor is kinda mickey mouse and will fly off easily if you are blocking enough flow. I think there should be a ball valve or something similar. Either that or a better device to block the flow. I notice on my unit I shouldn't need to block that much flow that would cause the endcap to fly off.

Everything is connected...power on.....lots of bubbles. I have a ton of small bubbles flowing out. I understand this is normal with most new skimmers. So I will wait to see if it decreases in time. It has a air valve which I will assume should be opened all the way up???

My setup:
20 gal with about 30lbs live rock, 2 to 3" sand bed of crushed coral and three stalks of shaving brush algae. Other than the Typhoon, a penguin biowheel, and a power sweep power head for flow.

My livestock and corals consits of:
a few mushrooms, kenya tree and a frag of Zoa for coral. A 2" tomato clown, bicolor blenny, skunk cleaner, 10 or so assorted snails and a pistol or mantis shrimp (I have not been able to locate.)

nivram
05/07/2007, 05:55 PM
By 11pm the micro bubbles reduced and I could see some skimmate at the top. One thing I noticed the water level dropped on it's own. Every time I stick my hand in to adjust the water level, the foam production almost stops. Once I get the hand of this I am going to look into a mod to better adjust flow.

Took some pics as well.

Skimmate after about 24hours
http://img113.imageshack.us/img113/1993/skimgu4.th.jpg (http://img113.imageshack.us/my.php?image=skimgu4.jpg)

Here is the output with flow adjuster on end
http://img519.imageshack.us/img519/6435/typhnoutputja2.th.jpg (http://img519.imageshack.us/my.php?image=typhnoutputja2.jpg)

This is what it looks like HOT.
http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/2666/entirebodyyt8.th.jpg (http://img150.imageshack.us/my.php?image=entirebodyyt8.jpg)

I have the output going into a milk jug. I was thinking it might be a cool project to grow and Mangrove Tree and have the skimmate run off to the potted Mangrove. But I imagine it might not smell so great.

Any tips on getting better skimmate production? I am going to try adding a air pump to the venturi hose and see what happens.

The Saltwater Kid
05/07/2007, 07:56 PM
I wouldn't be in a rush to mod things, let it break in first and then if you're not satisfied start modding little by little. Usually skimmers don't get good skimmate right off the bat but will get consitently better as the break-in process goes on. I will be getting my Typhoon tomorrow but won't have a chance to get it up and running until next week as I need to get the airline tubing and my anti-siphon kit won't arrive until Thursday but then my wife and i are going out of town for the weekend starting Friday :-(. Oh well, it will be here waiting for me when i get back.

The Saltwater Kid
05/07/2007, 08:01 PM
can anyone measure the width including both intake and outake tubes so i know how much space I'll need on the back of my tank (I hope it will fit in the 8" I have available)? It would be much appreciated!!!

kodyboy
05/07/2007, 09:04 PM
I forgot I will measure tomorrow.

nivram
05/08/2007, 09:40 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9895978#post9895978 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by The Saltwater Kid
can anyone measure the width including both intake and outake tubes so i know how much space I'll need on the back of my tank (I hope it will fit in the 8" I have available)? It would be much appreciated!!!

Depending on where you measure, it is about 8 1/2" or just under 8 1/4."
THe difference is due to the smaller diameter pipes just before the 90 degree fittings of the intake and output. I hope that helps.

kodyboy
05/08/2007, 09:43 PM
I almost forgot to post! 8.5 inches as well here. I would count on 9 to have some wiggle room.

The Saltwater Kid
05/09/2007, 06:25 AM
yikes...that's going to be close...my aquafuge takes up 19" and the way I have my tank kitty-cornered another 3" is unusable. I'll have to figure something out. Any suggestions?

The Saltwater Kid
05/09/2007, 02:49 PM
Damn! I just measured and I have only 8" of free space on the back of my tank. So the way I look at it I have two options...A.) Hang the skimmer from one of the sides of the tank...just not sure if this would be the most aesthetically pleasing option or B.) Move the tank so it's even with a wall instead of kitty cornered and free up the unuseable 3" of space and put it on back beside the aquafuge. Which option do you guys like better?

corbett_n
05/09/2007, 03:33 PM
My typhoon is very quiet, but hasn't produced a lot of dry foam yet. It has been a few eeks and I still have some micro bubbles. I hope it can kick in and start to produce some good skinmate.

The Saltwater Kid
05/09/2007, 05:55 PM
bump

nivram
05/09/2007, 07:26 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9909239#post9909239 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by The Saltwater Kid
Damn! I just measured and I have only 8" of free space on the back of my tank. So the way I look at it I have two options...A.) Hang the skimmer from one of the sides of the tank...just not sure if this would be the most aesthetically pleasing option or B.) Move the tank so it's even with a wall instead of kitty cornered and free up the unuseable 3" of space and put it on back beside the aquafuge. Which option do you guys like better?

If you are creative you might be able to buy additional fittings and try to reconfigure to be not as wide. There isn't a lot of room to play with.

I would move the tank if it were me.

nivram
05/09/2007, 07:31 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9909570#post9909570 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by corbett_n
My typhoon is very quiet, but hasn't produced a lot of dry foam yet. It has been a few eeks and I still have some micro bubbles. I hope it can kick in and start to produce some good skinmate.

Corbett,

Did you set your water level correctly? This is my first skimmer, but what I noticed is that if you have something blocking the skimmate collection hose. It will stop or decrease foam production. I believe Kody posted some great tips on the first page of this thread about where to adjust water flow. You want it right where the top starts to angle.

Also make sure you have the air valve open.
And last but not least, contact D&D for help.

Are you getting any skimmate at all?

corbett_n
05/10/2007, 07:42 AM
I am getting some really wet skinmate. I have a air pump hooked up to the venturi line that seems to help, but I just can't seem to get much happening.

The Saltwater Kid
05/10/2007, 08:50 AM
yeah, moving the tank would make it look better...unfortunately this will also require the most effort as I will need to drain 3/4 of the water and remove some corals and live rock to 5 gallon buckets and then have a friend help me shift it around...definitely a pain in the arse where just hanging the skimmer from the side would be easy but unappealing to the eye. I guess the extra effort of moving the tank (and it doesn't have to be moved very far...maybe 2-3ft) would be worth it once done.

nivram
05/10/2007, 06:42 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9914036#post9914036 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by corbett_n
I am getting some really wet skinmate. I have a air pump hooked up to the venturi line that seems to help, but I just can't seem to get much happening.

Any pictures of your skimmate?

Just a thought. You may want to try adjusting your water level a tad bit lower for dryer foam. I noticed it's difficult to adjust the flow on these. I really wish the adjustment was above water.

Scoobydude825
05/11/2007, 06:20 PM
For the 3 months that I had my Typhoon it always made really wet skimmate and it never stopped making microbubbles I had to use an old sock to catch the bubbles. And the pump was so loud I had to turn it off to watch tv sometimes. I'm actually kind of glad it broke now. I got my Coralife Superskimmer last week and I am very happy with it. It is SILENT and makes a thick dark skimmate and it never produced microbubbles in my tank.
It was only like $20 dollars more than the typhoon but I am VERY happy with it.
Skimmers are very "luck of the draw". I am so glad that I got lucky with this new skimmer. It is alot better than my old typhoon, but I may have just gotten a crappy model.

vallon
05/14/2007, 03:25 PM
Here are some pics. I have owned it for a few weeks now, still got a lot of microbubbles. Never owned a skimmer before, I don't know whether that is right or not.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v731/Tenwood/IMGP0644.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v731/Tenwood/IMGP0646.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v731/Tenwood/IMGP0647_edited.jpg

EvilE
05/14/2007, 04:57 PM
What size tank is that? 55 gallon? Dave at D&D is very cool, and would probably be happy to answer your microbubble concerns--maybe there is a simple way of lessening them

The Saltwater Kid
05/15/2007, 03:23 PM
gosh i hope mine doesn't have that many microbubbles after i set it up! That's more then a Remora.

kodyboy
05/15/2007, 04:42 PM
Mine has never produced microbubbles of that magnitude.....call/email Dave at D&D and he will help you get it under control.

nivram
05/16/2007, 06:24 PM
I had that much maybe worse and it cleared up within 24 hours. While trying to adjust it, and after sticking my hand in the tank I had the micro bubbles again. But they went away in a few hours.

I also noticed the droop or loop I had in my drain line was causing my water level to decrease. I noticed once I allowed the skimmate that accumulated in the droop of my line to drain. The water level rose back to the level I had it initially set at.

So makesure your drain line is pretty much vertical into your waste container.

EvilE
05/17/2007, 11:21 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9941217#post9941217 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by EvilE
What size tank is that? 55 gallon? Dave at D&D is very cool, and would probably be happy to answer your microbubble concerns--maybe there is a simple way of lessening them :confused: never answered

kodyboy
05/18/2007, 11:18 PM
Vallon, did you ever get your bubbles under control?

Bonsai7255
05/19/2007, 10:51 PM
I hope you guys have better luck than I did with the typhoon. I never saw a skimmer produce that many micro-bubbles with little or no skimmate. I had mine for prob 2 months and got maybe 1/4 cup skimmate and about 3 or 4 syphon overflows in my livingroom floor. I traded it in on a CSS and couldn't be happier. I just don't feel comfortable with something with a water level that close to the drain with a shoddy outflow adjuster. This is just my opinion and my experience so if someone has good luck with theirs i would like to hear about it. My bubbles never cleared up in my tank either.

kodyboy
05/20/2007, 07:00 PM
any luck with the bubbles?

The Saltwater Kid
05/27/2007, 12:59 PM
I tried a Typhoon and it didn't work for me. I didn't have the proper space in my tank (that pump is pretty big) without rearranging stuff and i didn't want to do that. Mine also leaked around the cap part where you could take off the top and the water control knob didn't work no matter how much I adjusted it. I ended up returning it to DF&S. That being said I did have D&D send me the anti-siphon part for this skimmer and I am willing to send it to anyone who wants/needs it if you're willing to pay what little shipping charge there will be. PM me if you want it.

EvilE
05/27/2007, 07:21 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10024663#post10024663 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by The Saltwater Kid
I tried a Typhoon and it didn't work for me. I didn't have the proper space in my tank (that pump is pretty big) without rearranging stuff and i didn't want to do that. Mine also leaked around the cap part where you could take off the top and the water control knob didn't work no matter how much I adjusted it. I ended up returning it to DF&S. That being said I did have D&D send me the anti-siphon part for this skimmer and I am willing to send it to anyone who wants/needs it if you're willing to pay what little shipping charge there will be. PM me if you want it. why when D&D will send it to anyone with a Typhoon for free?

poweraid
05/28/2007, 12:12 AM
One time I had a turbo snail cover the slit on the cap of the return line and that caused the skimmer to fill with water and drain out. Luckily It was into a milk jug and I was home at the time. watch out for those snails.

The Saltwater Kid
05/28/2007, 08:13 AM
I'll send it for free too depending on how much shipping is to wherever you are...if it's only a buck or two...it's not like I'm trying to make money on this, just trying to help another Typhoon owner out in case they can't get a hold of D&D for some reason.

EvilE
05/28/2007, 12:04 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10028760#post10028760 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by The Saltwater Kid
I'll send it for free too depending on how much shipping is to wherever you are...if it's only a buck or two...it's not like I'm trying to make money on this, just trying to help another Typhoon owner out in case they can't get a hold of D&D for some reason. I know man, I was just saying.......

vallon
05/29/2007, 01:19 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9972732#post9972732 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kodyboy
Vallon, did you ever get your bubbles under control?

I did. I closed the water return instead of leaving wide open, that helped somewhat. In addition, I let it sit inside my sump in the back of the tank instead of directly inside the tank.

The tank is 55 gallons.

poweraid
05/29/2007, 01:43 AM
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/149735salt_water_023.jpg

Her is mine at about six months. It is on a 75 gal. and it does not produce many micro bubbles in the tank.

nivram
05/29/2007, 09:20 AM
How often are you guys having to clean the top? I am guessing my skimmate is too dry as I rarey get any in my container. But the top part gets dirty within a few days. It gets covered in dark green crap.

luke33
05/29/2007, 09:52 AM
We need to see some skimmate pics to give this skimmer some credability. : )

poweraid
05/29/2007, 03:09 PM
I clean the concentration cap once a week. But it is dirty within days. It's very dirty right now. I will try to post a pic later.

EvilE
06/10/2007, 11:20 PM
Well I finally got mine up and running tonight--tons of micro bubbles--hope that stops soon. How do I fine tune it?? I have a hard time keeping the water level at the top where it starts to go diagonal. I open the venturi line all the way, and the water level goes down, then I close it up, and it rises too much--hard to find the happy medium--anyone with advice for this typhoon newbie??

corbett_n
06/11/2007, 08:53 AM
Mine works great, I added a pump to the venturi line and called D&D and they sent me a free elbow to fix the syphon problem. I get lots of skinmate

kodyboy
06/11/2007, 09:17 AM
give it a little time it should subside.

EvilE
06/11/2007, 09:41 PM
do you keep your venturi line all the way open?

EvilE
06/11/2007, 09:45 PM
Also, I worry about my urchins or large turbo snails banging into the outlet knob. I know if it accidentally closes, the skimmer will fill up , and I'll come home to a flood! What can I do to eliminate this from happening?? I was thinking about putting some electrical tape on the inside of the outlet cap, so that it fits much tighter, and lessens the chance to accidentally close. Thoughts??

kodyboy
06/12/2007, 05:53 AM
I would think it would be difficult for an urchin or snail to move the outlet cap, but making it a snugger fit could not hurt.

EvilE
06/12/2007, 09:29 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10126050#post10126050 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kodyboy
I would think it would be difficult for an urchin or snail to move the outlet cap, but making it a snugger fit could not hurt. I just moved the elbow out away from the glass a bit, so it's harder for them to get on it, or bump it--we'll see, so far so good! The micro bubbles are getting better, and it is starting to produce some skimmate!!:D It is a bit noisy, so I may install the motor quieting kit--don't know yet. It seems to be working well so far!!!:smokin:

EvilE
06/12/2007, 09:38 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10126050#post10126050 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kodyboy
I would think it would be difficult for an urchin or snail to move the outlet cap, but making it a snugger fit could not hurt. I just moved the elbow out away from the glass a bit, so it's harder for them to get on it, or bump it--we'll see, so far so good! The micro bubbles are getting better, and it is starting to produce some skimmate!!:D It is a bit noisy, so I may install the motor quieting kit--don't know yet. It seems to be working well so far!!!:smokin:

kodyboy
06/13/2007, 04:17 PM
EvilE: sounds good, keep us posted:)

EvilE
06/17/2007, 07:05 PM
I have another question---is one of the waterlevels in the main chamber just below the screw off cap?? It's hard to explain, but I just noticed a water level below the black concentrator cap. Then the other waterline is right at the beginning of the angle of the concentrator cap where the skimmate is produced--is this the same for you all?

luke33
06/17/2007, 08:17 PM
Skimmate pics!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EvilE
06/18/2007, 09:51 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10160607#post10160607 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by EvilE
I have another question---is one of the waterlevels in the main chamber just below the screw off cap?? It's hard to explain, but I just noticed a water level below the black concentrator cap. Then the other waterline is right at the beginning of the angle of the concentrator cap where the skimmate is produced--is this the same for you all? Kody, anyone?? You guys there???

kodyboy
06/18/2007, 10:22 PM
evile
I think you are looking at the two tubes, there is a smaller diameter tube inside the outside tube and maybe you are seeing the same water level refracted in there.

EvilE
06/19/2007, 11:50 PM
I am seeing the water line on the outside tube---the water line in that tube is just below the black screw on part of the concentrator cap......the "other" water line is the one at the top that creates the skimmate (at the angle)....is yours like that??

EvilE
06/19/2007, 11:55 PM
Also, mine is still producing quite a bit of micro bubbles in the tank --suggestions??

EvilE
06/20/2007, 08:56 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10176151#post10176151 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by EvilE
Also, mine is still producing quite a bit of micro bubbles in the tank --suggestions?? :confused:

luke33
06/20/2007, 09:00 PM
Wrap a sponge around the water output. That'll help, if not completely take care of the problem.

Now for the important comment, this thread's got well over 100 posts and 2300 looks and not one pic of skimmate????????

EvilE
06/20/2007, 10:52 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10181943#post10181943 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by luke33
Wrap a sponge around the water output. That'll help, if not completely take care of the problem.

Now for the important comment, this thread's got well over 100 posts and 2300 looks and not one pic of skimmate???????? seriously?? Won't that stop the flow, or slow it down enough to cause a backfill and flood?

derricklocker
06/21/2007, 02:29 AM
I had one of these guys on my tank for a few months. A few observations:

-I had my most hands off experience with the output slit just a touch over three quarters open. Takes some eyeballing and some real sensitive turning to get right but once I did, I just marked that spot. No more readjusting. With this config and the right twist on the venturi for air input, water level would be just below the angle, generating a definitive dry foam. Dont know how you like to skim, but after that I was extremely stable. Just a matter of making sure the skimmer was cleaned routinely and that was that.

One of the quarrels I had in my head with setting it like this was dwell time issues. Couldnt really decide if I was running water thru the skimmer too fast or not, although I had steady, dark dry skim regularly, so I ended up settling with this config.

-Your microbubble issues should subside given time. Your skimmer may be in catch up mode for a decent amount of time depending on how it was skimmed prior to the addition of the skimmer. In my case, a 75 mixed medium bio load eventually things stabilized. Lower third of the skimmer should be nearly clear of bubbles. Patience is key here. Also, any additive such as slime coat declorinators will drive this thing bananas so keep that in mind. If your tank is nutrient rich your skimmer will have more of a "settling" effect within the reaction chamber, which will cause some microbubble leakage back into the tank. One can observe this in action by adding a small pipette of skim back into the reaction chamber, which will cause what would seem like an increase in bubble production as the bubbles bind to the proteins added. All in all here, patience is a must until the skimmer settles into its groove. This thing was easy to deal with once I got it to settle in.

Word to the wise though: Be careful not to tighten the cap onto the skimmer too tight. I did this on mine, and on a night when i wasent in too good of a mood I decided to try to rip the cap off, gripping the knob where your drain runs down to the collector for some extra leverage while trying to turn the cap. Not a good idea, in doing so I broke the cap in half from the knob. Bye bye skimmer and hello hole in my wallet for the new skimmer.

Good luck man

D

derricklocker
06/21/2007, 02:46 AM
Oh forgot to add that I had my output facing back toward the skimmer facing toward the surface at the 45 degree angle. I tried facing it into the bulk of the tank but for some reason, possibly back pressure, it was too inconsistent for my taste; the chamber was easier to stabilize with less turbulence (which wasent too much to begin with). Not to mention it created a nice little pocket of surface agitation as well. I cant tell you if this will work for your particular situation but it was for me.

By the way, putting a sock on the output would be plausible for a while, but I would probably lose some sleep thinking that it would get clogged at the wrong time. Plus it would become a PITA cleaning that thing all the time. My advice: get the skimmer level stabilized with good air, maintain a good cleaning routine, and let the skimmer just work. Those microbubbles will work themselves through if you set it up correctly and just take a step away from the tank and just let the skimmer do its thing.

luke33
06/21/2007, 07:02 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10182806#post10182806 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by EvilE
seriously?? Won't that stop the flow, or slow it down enough to cause a backfill and flood?

Nope, if you put the sponge right after the output, it won't affect the flow at all.

EvilE
06/21/2007, 07:36 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10183972#post10183972 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by luke33
Nope, if you put the sponge right after the output, it won't affect the flow at all. what kind of sponge??

EvilE
06/21/2007, 07:37 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10183642#post10183642 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by derricklocker
I had one of these guys on my tank for a few months. A few observations:

-I had my most hands off experience with the output slit just a touch over three quarters open. Takes some eyeballing and some real sensitive turning to get right but once I did, I just marked that spot. No more readjusting. With this config and the right twist on the venturi for air input, water level would be just below the angle, generating a definitive dry foam. Dont know how you like to skim, but after that I was extremely stable. Just a matter of making sure the skimmer was cleaned routinely and that was that.

One of the quarrels I had in my head with setting it like this was dwell time issues. Couldnt really decide if I was running water thru the skimmer too fast or not, although I had steady, dark dry skim regularly, so I ended up settling with this config.

-Your microbubble issues should subside given time. Your skimmer may be in catch up mode for a decent amount of time depending on how it was skimmed prior to the addition of the skimmer. In my case, a 75 mixed medium bio load eventually things stabilized. Lower third of the skimmer should be nearly clear of bubbles. Patience is key here. Also, any additive such as slime coat declorinators will drive this thing bananas so keep that in mind. If your tank is nutrient rich your skimmer will have more of a "settling" effect within the reaction chamber, which will cause some microbubble leakage back into the tank. One can observe this in action by adding a small pipette of skim back into the reaction chamber, which will cause what would seem like an increase in bubble production as the bubbles bind to the proteins added. All in all here, patience is a must until the skimmer settles into its groove. This thing was easy to deal with once I got it to settle in.

Word to the wise though: Be careful not to tighten the cap onto the skimmer too tight. I did this on mine, and on a night when i wasent in too good of a mood I decided to try to rip the cap off, gripping the knob where your drain runs down to the collector for some extra leverage while trying to turn the cap. Not a good idea, in doing so I broke the cap in half from the knob. Bye bye skimmer and hello hole in my wallet for the new skimmer.

Good luck man

D Thanks!! Did you get another Typhoon, and if not, why??

derricklocker
06/21/2007, 08:51 PM
No I didnt get another Typhoon, but it wasent because this thing didnt perform. I was sumpless at that point in time, and my plans have taken a few twists and turns in relation to what I wanted to do with the tank. After destroying the Typhoon, my interests in skimming principles escalated. DAS Ex-1 currently.

Keep in mind however, it is very hard to go wrong with the Typhoon for its price. Given that lower price, you must have patience with it.

D

luke33
06/21/2007, 09:29 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10188430#post10188430 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by EvilE
what kind of sponge??

Many you could use a natural sponge from the grocery store and a rubber band and wrap and your good.......just make sure the sponge doesn't have any chemical's in it.

EvilE
06/21/2007, 09:54 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10188972#post10188972 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by derricklocker
No I didnt get another Typhoon, but it wasent because this thing didnt perform. I was sumpless at that point in time, and my plans have taken a few twists and turns in relation to what I wanted to do with the tank. After destroying the Typhoon, my interests in skimming principles escalated. DAS Ex-1 currently.

Keep in mind however, it is very hard to go wrong with the Typhoon for its price. Given that lower price, you must have patience with it.

D I will, and thanks for all the great info!!

EvilE
07/14/2007, 12:27 AM
well, I broke my Typhoon, and luckily bought a few replacement parts from D&D, and got it up and running again the past few weeks. One thing I noticed though, is that the concentrator cap gets very dirty very quick, and the crud doesn't go down the drain tube as designed. I have the water level right at the angle, and all, I dunno. How often do I clean the concentrator cap?? I clean it one day, and two days later it is black again, and not draining!!! It's not clogged, just that the bubbles don't push the crud down the drain tube. I still get micro bubbles also.....

kodyboy
07/14/2007, 08:50 AM
Did you try raising the water level a little? I have done that and the cap stays clean for a lot longer. See how that works for you.

EvilE
07/14/2007, 12:40 PM
yes it is a little above the angle now, how high should I raise it??

kodyboy
07/14/2007, 01:02 PM
I would say about 2cm or so, just about it. It seems to work better that way for me. Make sure the output tube is clean, mine was clogged a few times and I did not notice:)
I am wondering if a standard collection cup would be easier to use on this unit?

EvilE
07/14/2007, 01:25 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10339813#post10339813 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kodyboy
I would say about 2cm or so, just about it. It seems to work better that way for me. Make sure the output tube is clean, mine was clogged a few times and I did not notice:)
I am wondering if a standard collection cup would be easier to use on this unit? I think so Kody, but how could we do such a thing??

kodyboy
07/14/2007, 10:07 PM
I do not know, but if I come up with something I will share.

EvilE
07/24/2007, 09:01 PM
I added a Whisper 60 air pump to the air line, (had to T the two outputs) and it is running like a champ!! It is producing easily 4 times the skimmate then it was before......WOW!!

Percula9
07/26/2007, 09:47 AM
I bought a typhoon didn't know assembaly was required. Thank god I had a haxsaw. The pump started to become noisey so I replaced it with my Maxijet 1200. Still produced good skimmate. I also added a ball valve to the return for better control of water level. The valve redirected any bubbles away from the middle of the tank. To solve the syphoning problem I hooked a small water bottle to the elbow to act as a collecting cup. Since the drain is no longer below the tank it can't syphon. I discovered when I had to restart after cleaning I would put it on and off with a switch until the air bubble pushed out and the water level would go back down. I recently broke it but is repairable. I put my Bak-Pak on in the mean time. Has less problems and recently modified it so it works much better. I don't have to shut it down to clean the cup. I don't have to worry about the on and off procedure. I wouldn't recommend this skimmer. The designers should should go back to the drawing board.

EvilE
07/27/2007, 12:00 AM
My Typhoon is is rocking now!!! I'm tellin ya, ever since I added that air pump to the venturi air line, it is pulling all kinds of crap outta the water!! Live it, LOVE IT!!! It's produced more skimmate the past 2 days then it did in a month before the air pump.......

kodyboy
07/27/2007, 07:52 AM
Evile, sounds great! My airpump is only a whisper 40, when I hook up the luft pump I will post how it goes.

EvilE
07/27/2007, 08:53 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10424381#post10424381 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kodyboy
Evile, sounds great! My airpump is only a whisper 40, when I hook up the luft pump I will post how it goes. Mine is the whisper 60--I honestly wouldn't want it anymore powerful---maybe you should first try the 60........

kodyboy
07/27/2007, 10:21 AM
The luft pump has a dial that allows it to be adjusted so it should work fine, thanks though.

EvilE
07/27/2007, 08:22 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10425155#post10425155 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kodyboy
The luft pump has a dial that allows it to be adjusted so it should work fine, thanks though. cool!Let me know how it does!

seldin
08/03/2007, 05:57 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9778245#post9778245 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by luke33
Here's how to get by that....lol, go to home, then go to the search funtion on the left tab, search RC for it, you'll find more than enough info that way. [snip] Anyhow, do a search man!

Luke,

Worked great.

Thanks much,

larryTAKEOUT@seldin.net

EvilE
08/14/2007, 12:01 AM
Well, my Typhoon kicks arse now with the air pump connected to it!! The pics show the bubble production, and the skimmate from the drain line into a 5 gallon bucket! These pics are about a day's worth of skimmate! Over an inch in my 5 gallon bucket!
Pics:http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v322/evile1174/100_1786.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v322/evile1174/100_1785.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v322/evile1174/100_1782.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v322/evile1174/100_1780.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v322/evile1174/100_1779.jpg

happyface888
08/14/2007, 12:48 AM
Wow, how many days has it been running? I just got the kit for the siphon thing. I also got a quieting tool with a small ring or something to put on the propeller.
Kody,
did you get a chance to try the needle wheel on the typhoon? And is there a alternative powerhead that can out beat the stock?

kodyboy
08/14/2007, 08:07 AM
NICE PICS! Finally someone who can put pics up did:) I am still looking for all my old pics...............
I never got the quieting tool, tell us how that works.
I never put needlewheel pump on my typhoon, and I am sure there are many powerheads that can beat the stock one, but I never did anything with that.
This little skimmer really works pretty darn good as is, and with a simple addition of an airpump even better:) I would like to see some remora pics that equal it!

happyface888
08/14/2007, 11:53 AM
Hey kody whats this extra little plastic ring I gor with the kit? The instructions tell me to pull off the propellar and add it to the propellar. Its just a plastic ring. What does this do? Make the pump quieter?

kodyboy
08/14/2007, 02:43 PM
I do not know I never got that part

EvilE
08/14/2007, 07:43 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10550730#post10550730 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by happyface888
Hey kody whats this extra little plastic ring I gor with the kit? The instructions tell me to pull off the propellar and add it to the propellar. Its just a plastic ring. What does this do? Make the pump quieter? Yes--it is to quiet the pump. I installed it on mine. I have not modded my typhoon in any way, I actually broke it once, by dropping it, and had to order new parts to fix it. The only thing I have done "extra" to it, is add a cheap air pump to the air venturi line. I added a Whisper 60 to it--that's it!! Clean it once in a while, and it produces TONS of skimmate! You saw my pics! They speak for themselves! I took them last night. That is 24 hours of skimmate in those pics. Great skimmer!:smokin:

happyface888
08/14/2007, 10:29 PM
Did you notice a difference with the silencer on? Oh is it a wise idea to try this kind of mod to the powerhead?
http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28372

EvilE
08/14/2007, 10:33 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10555408#post10555408 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by happyface888
Did you notice a difference with the silencer on? Oh is it a wise idea to try this kind of mod to the powerhead?
http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28372 it is quieter, yes.;)

happyface888
08/14/2007, 10:37 PM
Hmm guess I will use it when I get it. But anyways do you think that mod mesh mod on a venturi would work good?

kodyboy
08/15/2007, 08:24 AM
A meshmod would not work on a venturi because the air is injected after the impeller, it has no chance to "chop up the air". You would have to change the configuration to a needlewheel skimmer to benefit from a meshmod.

luke33
08/15/2007, 08:26 AM
I'm still shocked no one has turned the stock pump into a NW meshmod and made a custom venturi...it will pry pull 2-3x the air done this way.

DGauss
08/15/2007, 10:52 AM
Hello my name is Tim,

I am one to the tech support people at D & D Marine Enterprises Inc.

We do not get to spend much time out on web sites due to our providing phone support. We have however had a lot of people on the phone tell us that they purchased a Typhoon as a result of conversations on RC.

I taking just a quick look I see a few questions have been in the discussions. I will do my best to clear them up and make certain everyone has good information.

I can not promise to stay involved in the thread as I mentioned above. HOWEVER, we do welcome anyone who needs support to contact us. There are several options;

1. phone 502-747-8562
2. e-mail DandDMarine@DandDMarine.com
3. Web DDMarine.us or DandDMarine.com

Our web site has great resources including FAQ areas, Trouble shooting etc. We already have video instructions for the Terminator II and should have video instructions for the typhoon up shortly.

NOW.... Typhoon questions I see being discussed

1. Shiphon from the waste tube

We have been tracking any calls on this issue. We have had very few to date but we have had some. It appears to take just the right combination of things all to happen. It often seems to do with a combination of not having purged the air from the outlet piping after servicing the unit and a current blowing across the outlet nozzle.

In any case no matter how rare the event we have taken action to prevent it. There are two options. Yes drilling a small hole in the elbow directly above the water will prevent any chance of this. You can also contact us, and we will be happy to send out an elbow with a purge tube in it. For those of you who wish to just simply make a hole I will ask our web master to post a photo of where and how to do so.

2. Pump vibration

Tracking is showing that about 3 percent of the pumps out there have a vibration noise. The impeller clutch on a small quantity of the pumps is loose and can vibrate. If you happen to have gotten a pump that is making noise PLEASE let us know. We do not what people upset we would prefer to send you a kit to fix the problem. This is a very easy fix and will quiet the pump. You will always hear a pump running but it should not be heard in the next room for instance.

Both of these issues seem to be on the rare side, but we do want to make certain that if anyone has a concern that it is taken care of.

I also spoted a comment about hooking up an air pump. This should not be needed, generally if the venturi begins to loose performance it needs to be cleaned. PLEASE < PLEASE visit our web site and read the proper method for cleaning it. DO NOT do anything that will scratch the inside. Soak it in Vinegar for about two hours then use a "Q" tip in both ends, rinse , and it should be good as new. On average this needs to be done 3 or 4 times per year. ( 3 to 4 months appart)

I hope this is helpful !!

We appreciate the fact that the majority of your comments have been supportive of our products. We have tried with the Typhoon to produce an affordable product that would do a good job. Over the years buying a low cost skimmer often came with poor results. It does not have a lot of bells a whistles like our more expensive Termiantor II but will pull a lot of waste out of a tank. We hope most of you find it to be a good value.

Best wishes,

D & D Marine Enterprises Inc
Customer Service
www.ddmarine.us
www.danddmarine.com

kodyboy
08/15/2007, 10:56 AM
Tim,
Thanks for posting! I for one like the typhoon a lot and feel it is one of the best build inexpensive skimmers on the market today.

kodyboy
08/15/2007, 10:58 AM
Tim,
One quick question: Has D&D marine ever thought about doing a needlewheel version of the typhoon, and/or maybe a conversion kit? I for one would love to see that.

luke33
08/15/2007, 11:29 AM
Also on a side note Tim, Kodyboy was the one who has sold tons of these things for you and single handedly made them popular on RC, so a thank you would be in order.

kodyboy
08/15/2007, 04:23 PM
thanks Luke:) I just hope that people get a decent skimmer that allows them more success with their tanks. It took FAR too long for an inexpensive decent skimmer to appear. The more people with success in this hobby, the more hobbyists there are, the fewer organisms that are killed, and the more all learn about the oceans and just how cool they are. Yeah I like fish............................so what at least I don't hang from meat-hooks for fun (Just say a Ripley's on that, yikes! All I can say is why?......................)

kodyboy
08/15/2007, 04:24 PM
saw not say.......

EvilE
08/15/2007, 07:34 PM
I have been raving to everyone I know about my Typhoon! Including starting this thread and posting about D&D products in countless others. I think D&D are great people to work with and a great company. When I asked them for the anti-siphon kit and pump quiet kit, they promptly sent it out to me. Then when I broke my skimmer and needed new parts, the sold me the new parts at a very reasonlable price, and sent them out promptly! I appreciate that kind of great service! On a side not, after reading whaT Tim from D&D wrote, I agree, you don't NEED an air pump added, it works fine stock, but Kody and I both find that adding the air pump GREATLY increases the skimmer's skimmate production! I usually have to clean the venturi every 2 months or so, so far. All in all D&D is a super company, and puts out a affordable, solid product!

E.----

kodyboy
08/15/2007, 07:39 PM
Ditto to what EvilE said:)

luke33
08/15/2007, 08:06 PM
If i find a used one for fairly cheap i'll snatch it up and NW mod it. If someone were close i do it with my own pump just to see how it would work.

nivram
08/15/2007, 10:49 PM
Update on my skimmer:

Today while driving about 200 miles from home my wife calls and ask why the tank was missing about 1/4 of the water. I asked her to look at the 2gal or so bucket I had used as a remote collection container. My worst fear...it was full of water and spilling over.

After convincing her to go get some water from the local pet store since they would be closed by the time I got home. I finally get home and try to figure out what happened. Only thing I notice was that the power flickered. Could that somehow caused the skimmer to overflow.

I am not real happy with my Typhoon now. I am very paranoid about it now. Anyone able to put a gate valve on the output to better control water level? I've noticed that I can also control water lever somewhat by closing the gate valve I have on the hose i have coming off the collection cup. I may play with this some more over the weekend. Hopefully I can regain confidence in this skimmer. It was working great until today.

kodyboy
08/15/2007, 11:41 PM
Do you have the anti-siphon mod on your skimmer? If not get it. Another option is just to drill a hole in the return pipe so a siphon can not form (basically what the anti-siphon kit does). Keep us posted and call D&D to see what they suggest.

happyface888
08/16/2007, 01:45 AM
Hmm I am a little lost here guys, is it the waste elbow thats causing the siphon or is it the return pipe?
I recieved the elbow but the instructions tell me to put it on the return elbow [left side of picture] So is the siphoning problem the waste pipe elbow? [top right side of picture]
http://a1272.g.akamai.net/7/1272/1121/20051025225226/www.drsfostersmith.com/images/Categoryimages/larger/lg_22924_31213P.jpg
I would appreciate a picture so I can get a idea where the parts really are suppose to go, evile mind posting a pic where you installed the mods? I'd appreciate it if somone could clarify whats causing the siphon. Thanks

kodyboy
08/16/2007, 08:31 AM
the anti-siphon goes on the return elbow not the waste elbow.
From what I can tell by having a siphon break on the return elbow, it causes the whole thing to stop the siphon problem. I never had a siphon issue after the elbow was installed.

luke33
08/16/2007, 08:43 AM
Just drill a small hole on the output of the return side right below the water and you won't ever have to worry about that again.

deejayfish
08/16/2007, 11:09 AM
If there is no siphon kit how does it overflow??? I would like to know how it would overflow and lead to flooding. Does the return pipe draw back water and fills up the whole tube and it goes down the waste pipe? Is this were the flooding comes from and how does the tube stop it from siphoning?

EvilE
08/16/2007, 06:16 PM
The only real scare is if something (like a big snail) either knocks into the outlet nozzle, or covers it up, the water level rises quickly, and can overflow. I got rid of my urchins, because they would always sit on or near the outlet nozzle, and it made me nervous.

nivram
08/16/2007, 07:24 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10568922#post10568922 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by EvilE
The only real scare is if something (like a big snail) either knocks into the outlet nozzle, or covers it up, the water level rises quickly, and can overflow. I got rid of my urchins, because they would always sit on or near the outlet nozzle, and it made me nervous.

My outlet was clear and i still had flooding. I even check to see if debris somehow got into the skimmer and blocked it. Nada! Right now its working great. But I worry if it will flood again.

deejayfish
08/16/2007, 07:35 PM
How does the anti siphoning connector help prevent siphon? I get the idea of how if something blocks the outlet and the pump continues to pump and there would be a overflow. Than how does the kit help prevent a siphon thing? Could someone go into detail how the kit helps? and what would happen if there was no kit?

FishAreFriends2
08/17/2007, 10:35 AM
Does anyone have anymore pictures?

happyface888
08/17/2007, 10:01 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10569445#post10569445 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by deejayfish
How does the anti siphoning connector help prevent siphon? I get the idea of how if something blocks the outlet and the pump continues to pump and there would be a overflow. Than how does the kit help prevent a siphon thing? Could someone go into detail how the kit helps? and what would happen if there was no kit?

Kody go answer that lol I have no idea sorry.....

kodyboy
08/17/2007, 10:14 PM
I am not 100% here, but I think the air-hole prevents a siphon from forming and pulling water out of the tank via the skimmate tube. At least that is what I think is happening. Ask Tim (Degauss) from D&D for a much better answer:)

happyface888
08/17/2007, 10:26 PM
I get the idea of if something blocks the outlet, than the pump keeps pumping water and thus flood. I am a little curious as to how can the water make it to the top from a siphon? Let say if there is no power and even if the water draws back in from the return pipe how can it reach the top of the waste tube?

luke33
08/17/2007, 10:42 PM
This isn't rocket science guys. Here's the ordeal. If the power goes out, the outlet of the skimmer that pump's out the water sucks it back in. It will suck out all the water until it gets a breath of air which is a few inches down. In order to stop this, what you need to do is drill two holes, one on each side right below the water level on the return. This way if you have a power outage, as soon as it hits this point air breaks the syphon. Its just like your return pump return.

happyface888
08/17/2007, 10:48 PM
Oh I get it now thanks, I got the kit with the tube should I drill one more hole or leave it as it?

luke33
08/17/2007, 11:06 PM
Here's what you need to do...without the kit. There's no need for it.

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u88/lukewoehler/Typhoon.jpg

The holes don't nessecarily need to be in that exact spot. They need to be around there right below your water level. This will make sure it doesn't back syphon.

FishAreFriends2
08/18/2007, 06:56 PM
I just placed a order on a typhoon. Do I have to ask them for the anti-siphon kit or does it come with it? I am going to try and email them to see if I can get it first and than when it comes I can just install it instead of waiting any longer. :)

tang fever
08/18/2007, 07:21 PM
Give up Luke...Just give up!

EvilE
08/18/2007, 07:31 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10582840#post10582840 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by FishAreFriends2
I just placed a order on a typhoon. Do I have to ask them for the anti-siphon kit or does it come with it? I am going to try and email them to see if I can get it first and than when it comes I can just install it instead of waiting any longer. :) Yeah--you need to ask them for it

luke33
08/18/2007, 11:14 PM
They just won't listen huh

happyface888
08/18/2007, 11:16 PM
Lmao I bet your about to bash that guy with a wooden bat. :D

luke33
08/18/2007, 11:32 PM
No need, if people don't get what i'm sayin, they have more problems than a antisphon hole. lol

koraltek
08/19/2007, 10:46 AM
super easy to take out the venturi and add a mesh modded pump to this skimmer, i would also build a new return line with a durso standpipe, gate valve, and of coarse, an anti siphon hole.

im thinking it's up to luke, kody or myself to mesh mod this thing...
im on a mission from god to mesh mod any skimmer i can to improve their crappy performance anyway...lol
i've already tackeled the bakpak and the remora in the hang on dept. i need new blood and these are cheap.
anyone got a used one for sale??

koraltek
08/19/2007, 10:58 AM
also, what's the gph and name brand of the pump?

luke33
08/19/2007, 11:12 AM
I see these things on ebay for around 40bux all the time.

tang fever
08/20/2007, 08:51 AM
So Luke, lets say I had a return line from my sump and I was afraid that it would run back into if the power went out......

Oh yeah, call the manufacturer and wait for them to send ..... DRILL HOLES!!!!!! OOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHH YEEAAAAAAAAHHH!

BusterDog
08/20/2007, 09:18 AM
I've been watching this thread with interest. I have a Typhoon running in the sump of my 29 gal. reef. I just extended the plumbing on the input so that the pump rests on the sump bottom, & added a gate valve to the output. I'm using it with a luft pump. It's working great.
The pump is a no name, & I couldn't find a gph rating anywhere.

I wonder if a mesh mod MJ would do the job, but what size?

FishAreFriends2
08/20/2007, 07:48 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10586400#post10586400 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by koraltek
super easy to take out the venturi and add a mesh modded pump to this skimmer, i would also build a new return line with a durso standpipe, gate valve, and of coarse, an anti siphon hole.

im thinking it's up to luke, kody or myself to mesh mod this thing...
im on a mission from god to mesh mod any skimmer i can to improve their crappy performance anyway...lol
i've already tackeled the bakpak and the remora in the hang on dept. i need new blood and these are cheap.
anyone got a used one for sale??

Koral I would love to see a venturi mod for this skimmer please mod it when you get a chance.

luke33
08/20/2007, 08:35 PM
Busterdog, where is bristol IN? I'm in indy and would be more than happy to NW mod that bad boy for you just to see what it would do. Unless ofcourse its far away. Got lots of pumps so you don't have to mod yours.

EvilE
08/20/2007, 08:56 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10592660#post10592660 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by BusterDog
I've been watching this thread with interest. I have a Typhoon running in the sump of my 29 gal. reef. I just extended the plumbing on the input so that the pump rests on the sump bottom, & added a gate valve to the output. I'm using it with a luft pump. It's working great.
The pump is a no name, & I couldn't find a gph rating anywhere.

I wonder if a mesh mod MJ would do the job, but what size? The pump on the Typhoon (mine at least) is rated at 1380 lph. That comes out to 364.5 gph

EvilE
08/20/2007, 09:01 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10586485#post10586485 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by koraltek
also, what's the gph and name brand of the pump? Atman PH1100 1380 lph (which is 364.5 gph)

happyface888
08/20/2007, 09:11 PM
Sweet, someones going to go for the needle wheel, I'd like to see the outcome at the end.

luke33
08/20/2007, 09:35 PM
Well, lets think for a minute shall we. The pump that comes with the typhoon is pry 25-40w tops. If its not, its complete crap. You could easily change the venturi to the NW and it will pry draw 15-25w tops. It would be 2-3x as much air.

happyface888
08/20/2007, 09:47 PM
Would making the air intake valve be almos the same as adding a air pump? I remember over on the pimp my ac or something they used a big airline and it caused more air would it do the same to the typhoon? Or its only for needle wheels?

luke33
08/20/2007, 09:53 PM
Switching it up to a NW and meshing it out would be better than adding an air pump and it would be less than a $5 mod.

EvilE
08/20/2007, 09:55 PM
but the air pump works so well, why mess with a mod?

happyface888
08/21/2007, 03:00 AM
To see if it can produce even more skimmate?? If someone were to mod it to a needle wheel which powerhead/pump would be a good choice to do so?

BusterDog
08/21/2007, 06:29 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10597604#post10597604 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by luke33
Busterdog, where is bristol IN? I'm in indy and would be more than happy to NW mod that bad boy for you just to see what it would do. Unless ofcourse its far away. Got lots of pumps so you don't have to mod yours.

Bristol is straight north of you... unfortunately all the way to the Michigan border.

Kissfan79
08/21/2007, 06:34 PM
OK....I just picked up a Typhoon for my folk's tank off of E-Bay. My question/concern is about the little cap with the slit on the return line. First off....why is there a slit on each side of the end of the return line yet only one slit on the cap? Second....is it my imagination or does the cap that goes on the return line elbow fit awfully loose? The cap fits on it ok and doesn't fall off or anything but it just seems like the return flow would blow it off of the elbow. Any insight into this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Jim

Kissfan79
08/22/2007, 08:39 AM
EvilE....Kodyboy??

luke33
08/22/2007, 09:26 AM
Kiss, i'm sure they'll chime in. Just wanted to drop by and say the pumps that come with this pump are the QO1200's at 300gph and 25w. 1/2" in and out, a good pump to turn into a NW with a meshmod on it.

tang fever
08/22/2007, 09:46 AM
Luke, I bet you don't own anything stock!

"Why Johnny, I didn't know you were still there."

kodyboy
08/22/2007, 09:51 AM
the two slits on the elbow and one on the cap allow you to direct the water down or up instead of only one way. I thought is was loose too, but that has not been a problem. I think someone put a gate valve on theirs, a much easier way to control water flow.

luke33
08/22/2007, 10:01 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10608696#post10608696 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by tang fever
Luke, I bet you don't own anything stock!

"Why Johnny, I didn't know you were still there."

"You may go now"

And i haven't modded any of my heaters. Pretty much everything else i've added a bit something to. From my diy sump fuge, canopy to my modded skimmer, pumps, overflow, lights. Yea its pretty much all modded. ; ) Cuz why not if it works better or saves you alot of money.

luke33
08/22/2007, 10:04 AM
And FWIW, if you meshed the pump and did a diy venturi the pump would pry use around 10-15watts ; ) And you know that will just save you tons of money!

tang fever
08/22/2007, 10:09 AM
I still need to buy the mesh. I've got gutter guard only on it right now and it improved greatly. I know....$5. I need to just do it.

"Age Quod Agis."

FishAreFriends2
08/22/2007, 10:50 AM
Hmm I am curious to how this will turn out does anyone have any pictures of how they plan on modding the pump? And luke what does FWIW stand for?

tang fever
08/22/2007, 01:00 PM
http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28372

Something very similar to this. You are talking about mesh?

I don't even have the mesh and my skimming more than doubled. Clearances really tight on my impeller and casing in some spots. When my pump shuts down it sometimes isn't too eager to restart. I'm sure this will wear down with time. Small sacrifice to double skimmer performance.

Once I get my seaclown into my sump, the flow's gonna pick up a little (should anyway) which should draw in more air. I might mod a little more once I see how that works out.

Kissfan79
08/22/2007, 08:47 PM
Kodyboy...
Thanks for the reply. If you put a gate valve on it...would you still use the cap on the end or just take t off completely? Also....would you put the gate valve on the water return straight out of the skimmer or after one of the elbows? I kinda' like the idea of using a small gate valve to control the flow.

Jim

luke33
08/22/2007, 08:58 PM
Well, here's what you need to do to the impeller and venturi mod.

For the venturi all you need is a 1/2" threaded pvc male fitting. Now for the impeller. Take out the impeller, i'm sure it'll look like it does in the below pic, then shave it down white a bit and then add 2-3layers of mesh on it(enkamat pf4) zip tie it down and then put it back. You can shave your impeller down with a dremel or you can heat up a small knife and cut it. Dremel is much easier and more realiable. here's a cople pics of before and after a impeller mod.

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u88/lukewoehler/WP1000ImpellerFromAquaDeal.jpg

After grinding

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u88/lukewoehler/ImpellerNWmod1.jpg

Now with mesh

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u88/lukewoehler/ImpellerNWMeshmod.jpg

And here's the venturi with 1/4" tube.

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u88/lukewoehler/Venturi16-23-07.jpg

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u88/lukewoehler/Venturi26-23-07.jpg

I think this will make a 2-3x's as much air for this guy. It should be a huge improvement. I imagine its pulling about 5scfh of air. This should give you around 10-15scfh. Oh, when you get the fitting drill the venturi hole right where the threads hit the pvc pipe. You'll know what i'm talkin about.

Luke

luke33
08/22/2007, 09:02 PM
Well, i copied and pasted the pics so they didn't quite work right. Anyhow, just take a glance and you'll get it.

FWIW=For what its worth

"There's no such thing as a normal wife Wyatt.....there s just life" Pry the most meaningful line in the move...hence my signature. I could quote the whole freakin movie.

EvilE
08/22/2007, 09:18 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10604765#post10604765 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Kissfan79
OK....I just picked up a Typhoon for my folk's tank off of E-Bay. My question/concern is about the little cap with the slit on the return line. First off....why is there a slit on each side of the end of the return line yet only one slit on the cap? Second....is it my imagination or does the cap that goes on the return line elbow fit awfully loose? The cap fits on it ok and doesn't fall off or anything but it just seems like the return flow would blow it off of the elbow. Any insight into this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Jim The cap it comes with works fine-- a gate valve would be much better, but the cap is fine, and easy to tune just right. I didn't like it much, but hasn't been an issue for me thus far.....

happyface888
08/22/2007, 10:54 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10613427#post10613427 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by luke33
Well, here's what you need to do to the impeller and venturi mod.

For the venturi all you need is a 1/2" threaded pvc male fitting. Now for the impeller. Take out the impeller, i'm sure it'll look like it does in the below pic, then shave it down white a bit and then add 2-3layers of mesh on it(enkamat pf4) zip tie it down and then put it back. You can shave your impeller down with a dremel or you can heat up a small knife and cut it. Dremel is much easier and more realiable. here's a cople pics of before and after a impeller mod.

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u88/lukewoehler/WP1000ImpellerFromAquaDeal.jpg

After grinding

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u88/lukewoehler/ImpellerNWmod1.jpg

Now with mesh

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u88/lukewoehler/ImpellerNWMeshmod.jpg

And here's the venturi with 1/4" tube.

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u88/lukewoehler/Venturi16-23-07.jpg

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u88/lukewoehler/Venturi26-23-07.jpg

I think this will make a 2-3x's as much air for this guy. It should be a huge improvement. I imagine its pulling about 5scfh of air. This should give you around 10-15scfh. Oh, when you get the fitting drill the venturi hole right where the threads hit the pvc pipe. You'll know what i'm talkin about.

Luke

Wow nice instructions luke, thats the first time I seen a diy venturi mod. For the orginal air intake do we cut that part off or seal it off?

luke33
08/23/2007, 07:28 AM
See how it works with both, then seal it and see if it works better. Your going to get much finer bubbles with the NW which in return will give you more surface area for proteins and organics to bond. Which should make more skimmate.

FishAreFriends2
08/23/2007, 10:44 AM
Thanks luke, those are some really clear pics, giving me ideas on how to mod it when I get mine. Would it be better to hook up a bigger airline? So it would suck up more bubles and chop them up later? And should I change the stock pump to like a mj 1200?

BusterDog
08/23/2007, 10:50 AM
I probably missed this a long time ago in another thread but, What do you use for the mesh?

luke33
08/23/2007, 11:22 AM
The QO1200 that comes with it is better than a mj1200 imo. I'd use a 1/4" air hose for the venturi, no bigger than that is required.

The mesh is enkamat pf4, you can get it on ebay for $5 shipped. Do a search on skimmer and click on pet supplies and it'll be on one of the 4 pages.

kodyboy
08/23/2007, 12:59 PM
I would put it on one of the elbows
luke: did you say the typhoon uses a quiet one 1200?

luke33
08/23/2007, 01:07 PM
Yep, its a QO1200 pump. It may be listed as something generic but thats what it is. Which means you should be able to get 10-15scfh out of it fairly easy.

EvilE
08/23/2007, 08:10 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10617559#post10617559 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by luke33
Yep, its a QO1200 pump. It may be listed as something generic but thats what it is. Which means you should be able to get 10-15scfh out of it fairly easy. Not my Typhoon--mine is a Atman PH1100 1380 lph (which is 364.5 gph)

luke33
08/23/2007, 09:08 PM
Can someone post a pic of the front of there pump. This will tell me what it is. I talked with a supplier that said they were QO1200's. And we should have a meshmod done tonight soon. I'm tryin to walk a guy through it as we speak.

happyface888
08/23/2007, 09:15 PM
bah I need some enkament, does enkament only have one purpose? which is to nw? I cant seem to find it anywhere besides ebay or that aquaticco or something.

luke33
08/23/2007, 10:13 PM
Those would be your two choices. And the ebay stuff came from aquaticco

sherm71tank
08/23/2007, 10:17 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10621627#post10621627 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by luke33
Those would be your two choices. And the ebay stuff came from aquaticco

I can vouch for that. Enkamat makes a great biological filter only in a trickle filter just takes care of ammonia and nitrite not nitrate.

luke33
08/23/2007, 10:54 PM
Dang near nothin takes care of that darn nitrate besides skimmers and algae, weather it be fuge or hair algae. I heard an interesting convo the other day saying nitrates don't bother corals. Not sure if i bought it or not...but it was interesting.

deejayfish
08/25/2007, 12:14 AM
So hows everything going with the mod?

sak5
08/25/2007, 09:54 PM
luke33's the man!!
i have done the meshmod as described by luke33. i have finally got it right today, and the amount of air entering the chamber is substantially more than "original factory settings". i do not have equipment for measuring, but i think his estimation of 2-3x the air to be correct. for instructions, see luke33's post about a page back. one thing-replace the originally supplied venturi with straight pipe. i initially had it with the original venturi and the new "homemade" venturi, and only the original venturi was drawing air. as it has been less than a day in operation, i do not know the quantity of skimmate it will produce, but i can tell you that the chamber is really filled with bubbles. almost too much, because a lot more bubbles are entering the tank than before. hmmmm.

now, for someone to think of a way to adjust this without sticking your hand in the tank....

thanks again to luke33!!!!
scott

happyface888
08/25/2007, 10:51 PM
Wow sounds pretty awsome, got any pics? I'd love to see how it turned out. I think once the skimmer breaks in the micro bubbles would be gone. I want to see some pics of the mod please post. Keep us updated on how much it collects and how dark. Someone hook me up with some enkament :D

luke33
08/26/2007, 12:11 AM
Sak, just glad to see someone finally do this. You'll have to keep us updated with the results. I imagine the micro's will cease in about a weeks time and if not you could make a sponge bubble catcher for practically free. And pics would be cool of the chamber. I think the in sump terminator two could be a very nice skimmer with a similar mod as well.

happyface888
08/26/2007, 11:33 PM
got any pics for update?

luke33
08/27/2007, 02:42 PM
Here's Scott's mods. Here's the venturi, i would suggest not having the venturi so long but it still works much better. He did the same exact thing to the impeller like the above pics.

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u88/lukewoehler/Typhoon28-27-07.jpg

Here's the skimmer body, its much more air then stock.

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u88/lukewoehler/Typhoonmod18-27.jpg

This is really the first time i really looked at these pics for a while. After looking i can say teh pump is a via aqua 1300. Its identical and the same gph and wattage. The volute cover is all you need for the mod. Just drill a hole in the threaded volute cover and add the hose adapter then the 1/4" hose, and your done. Ofcoures you need to meshmod it and grind down teh impeller first. Good job scott.

kodyboy
08/27/2007, 03:25 PM
looks awesome:)

happyface888
08/27/2007, 11:03 PM
wow looking sweet, hows the nog?

EvilE
08/27/2007, 11:52 PM
looks good

cpl40475
08/28/2007, 12:12 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/D-D-MARINE-TYPHOON-PROTEIN-SKIMMER_W0QQitemZ120155390757QQihZ002QQcategoryZ46313QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

if the person wanting one cheap to try the mods on.
Tracy

sak5
08/28/2007, 11:34 AM
i took luke's additional advice and cut down the pump intake so that it's approx. 1/2" beyond the air intake. there is indeed more "milk" in the chamber now. however, even with the adjustment cap completely off, the level is now about 1/4" above where the top slopes. additionally, so much air is being driven into and to the bottom of the chamber that there is a substantial amount of bubbles entering the tank. i don't see how these will decrease over time. i wonder if this is "overmodding" this skimmer, and i need to put a longer intake back on?
luke, kodyboy, evilE, others-thoughts?

luke33
08/28/2007, 12:23 PM
Sak, this is an easy fix ; ) Go pick up a very small ball valve for a 1/4" tube at lowes and you can adjust how much air you add to the tank. And your able to adjust your air this way. Should cost another 2 bux max. There next to the hose adapter fittings.

As for the micro's, give it about a week, if you still don't like what s going on you can use a sponge under the output and it will get rid of them.

happyface888
08/30/2007, 01:35 AM
Sak got any pics of the skimmate? And how much you get aday? i am interested in finding out.

happyface888
08/30/2007, 09:01 PM
Hey luke did you get any updates from sak?

luke33
08/30/2007, 09:53 PM
Yea, i've talked to him a few times in the last couple days. His water level raised about an inch or two and he's got alot of bubbles but his skimmer isn't producing any foam due to the meshmod and the oils from the enkamat. And time now it ll start to skimm. I do worry that its to much flow now so it may be very wet skimmate. I suggested he get a gate valve or a ball valve and put it on the intake of the pump. This way he can cut down the flow and not the air, and his microbubble prob should come to an end. Micro's are usually because of to much flow.

happyface888
09/02/2007, 09:22 PM
Thanks for the update luke, I was wondering for the typhoon pump do you leave the enkament that it comes with in the pump? You know when you open up the bottom part base it comes with this black enkamet inside, which is like a ring. Would it be better to take it out or leave it in there?

EvilE
09/02/2007, 11:48 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10689342#post10689342 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by happyface888
Thanks for the update luke, I was wondering for the typhoon pump do you leave the enkament that it comes with in the pump? You know when you open up the bottom part base it comes with this black enkamet inside, which is like a ring. Would it be better to take it out or leave it in there? That's a filter--leave it in ,and just rinse it out once in a while. I usually rinse it out when I clean the venturi, and do my skimmer maintenance

happyface888
09/03/2007, 12:23 AM
Thanks for the info Evile

happyface888
09/03/2007, 01:13 PM
I wonder whats the use of having that prefilter there isnt that going to just cause nitrates? wouldnt it be better to take it out?

EvilE
09/03/2007, 01:34 PM
I have had no problems with nitrates---I think the filter may be good for keeping big pieces of stuff from going up into the venturi---that's why I left it in. If you keep at the skimmer maintenence, you should have no probs with nitrates. The cover is very easy to take off, and makes it easy to rinse. Rinse it more often then I do if it worries you. Or take it out, and let me know how it works out for you.