PDA

View Full Version : Help I am moving!!!!

Radicaljbr
04/20/2007, 07:39 AM
No No No...I did not mean I need help with the actual move, although that would be great if the entire club showed up to help.

:D

What I really need advise on is how to move my tank. My plan is to find some 5 gallon buckets and put all my sand and rock in them and top them off with the water from my tank.

I am only moving from South Euclid to Hudson.

One of the problems I will have is when I get there, I will have no RO/DI water already made. I will rush to set it up ASAP, but it might take 18 hours to make the 130 gallons or so I will need. I could of course skip the sump till more water is available.

is this how others have moved?

Where can I find 5 gallon buckets with lids? Wish now I would have saved all those salt buckets. ;)

Ant thoughts or stories anyone can share to make this simple? Of course I have 8 rooms of other stuff to move that day as well on May 24th, so I will not have a lot of excess time to mess with the tank that day.

Thanks

:wavehand:

ReefFreaks
04/20/2007, 07:48 AM
My experience is that you should move the tank 1st, or last. It will take the better part of a day. Tear down, pack, move, set up, rebuild. This is truely a job in itself. I'd round up as many buckets, tubs, etc. Is there any way to make water a day earlier? A LFS should have styros to loan, give, sell. This is a good time to call in some favors.

Good luck!!!!

spookey
04/20/2007, 08:05 AM
u could go to (HD) to get some 5 gallon buckets for $5 each..yea u should move the tank frist or last

chris

ChickenCannoneer
04/20/2007, 08:58 AM
I sent you a PM.

ChickenCannoneer
04/20/2007, 08:58 AM
I sent you a PM.

slicksammy
04/20/2007, 09:02 AM
I would get some of the larger rubber storage bins. Those go as large as to hold 55 gallons with a lid. They are not super expensive and you would be able to save more of your water from the tank. Can you get into the place your moving early? You could mix up some water there early and have it ready and waiting for the move.

cash03ins
04/20/2007, 09:16 AM
I have about 40 five gal buckets with lids and a 100 gal Rubber Maid tub if you would like to use them. Please PM. Wayne

ajsubotnik
04/20/2007, 09:33 AM
I've got a few 20gal rubbermaid totes that you are more than welcome to borrow if needed...

-Andrew

Bowman
04/20/2007, 09:33 AM
I have a number of 5 gallon carboys ie distalatta water bottles you are welcome to use to move your tank water.

johndawg
04/20/2007, 10:09 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9771695#post9771695 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Radicaljbr

I am only moving from South Euclid to Hudson.

Let me know what I can do...it will be good to have another reefer in Hudson to keep Tim and I company!
I have had luck with the 18 gallon rubbermaid containers, two people can easily carry. I only have ro capabilities, but let me know and I can store in my garage.
John

johndawg
04/20/2007, 10:10 AM
The 18 gallon are also a good size to carry lr, coral and critters

Radicaljbr
04/20/2007, 10:55 AM
WOW...now this is what I call support!!

:bounce1: :fish1:

Unfortunetly, I have to move the same day which I take possession of the house. I am not too worried about most of it since I have let the tank sort of die down. I knew we would be moving this year, so I started giving corals, fish and things away early. I now only have one yellow tang and some small frags. The rock and sand will be fun. Might need a person their in Hudson to house my tang till the tank cycles, which I am sure it will after moving 6 inches of DSB.

I know I know....DSB. Probably better off starting over with the DSB, but since you can't find South down sand anymore, my 8 bags are probably worth something. I thought about rinsing it out and letting it dry in the sun for a few weeks. I know others have done this on RC.

I plan on tearing the tank down on the 23rd of May late that night and get everything into buckets with lids so that my time can be spent with the movers on the 24th. Rock and sand and other critters should be in buckets for about 24 to 36 hours. I can relocate my RO/DI is minutes and start making water as soon as I get the keys to the house on the 24th.

As the date nears, I hope to contact some of you to perhaps borrow some buckets with lids for the move. Anything bigger than a bucket and I might have a hard time moving. My back is pretty messed up and that is all I can handle.

Thanks guys

Radicaljbr
04/20/2007, 11:06 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9772731#post9772731 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by johndawg
Let me know what I can do...it will be good to have another reefer in Hudson to keep Tim and I company!
I have had luck with the 18 gallon rubbermaid containers, two people can easily carry. I only have ro capabilities, but let me know and I can store in my garage.
John

You could break into the house the night before we take possession and set up my RO/DI and start making my water.

Right now I am trying to judge how many 5 gallon buckets I would need to move 160+ pounds of rock and 120 pounds of sand.

I have seven with 5 lids and actually I used to work for Rubermaid and wish I kept some of those rubber containers I had soo many of. I do have 3 large 55 gallon trash bens, but can't use them since that is what my RO/DI water will go into.

Plaiin gstages for right now and just wanted to see what kind of good or bad issues anyone else had with moving.

Will keep everyone informed

Thank you so much!!!!

Burgman
04/20/2007, 11:09 AM
Hi,

I would make up as much RO water & new saltwater ahead of time as you can and get it ready for the new tank. I have a couple of 5 gal. bucket you can use. When I moved I put my corals in the square tubs to move them. It would be great if you could have access the new place before you move to start storing RO at that location. Tank tear down & setup are not fun but if you sit down & put a plan together it should come out OK. I live in Stow close to Hudson(not that far from John). If you need help moving the tank I can help with the Hudson end of the move.

Dave

Radicaljbr
04/20/2007, 11:16 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9773180#post9773180 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Burgman
Hi,

I would make up as much RO water & new saltwater ahead of time as you can and get it ready for the new tank. I have a couple of 5 gal. bucket you can use. When I moved I put my corals in the square tubs to move them. It would be great if you could have access the new place before you move to start storing RO at that location. Tank tear down & setup are not fun but if you sit down & put a plan together it should come out OK. I live in Stow close to Hudson(not that far from John). If you need help moving the tank I can help with the Hudson end of the move.

Dave

Thanks, we are actually having movers move everything. But I think I will take the RO with me so that I can jump out and hook it up fast. I also placed a call to the realtor to see if I can come over a day or two early to hook it up in the basement and put my trash cans in line to collect. I have all three tied together with overflow lines so that all three get filled at once.

Thanks again!!

ajsubotnik
04/20/2007, 11:24 AM
What if the movers break the tank?:eek2: lol... Been there done that...

Radicaljbr
04/20/2007, 11:40 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9773300#post9773300 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ajsubotnik
What if the movers break the tank?:eek2: lol... Been there done that...

The better not.

I would be up sh@#$ creek

I realy do not have a choice as I cannot lift it due to my back problems and would have to get a couple of freinds to take that Thursday off work to help out.

ajsubotnik
04/20/2007, 12:49 PM
All I'm saying is make sure your movers are fully insured... lol

Tom_mccl
04/20/2007, 01:12 PM
I moved our 90 gallon tank from Richmond Heights to Charlotte, NC a couple of months ago and had the same issue regarding water and not having any ready when I arrived with the sand and rock.

We moved a lot of the water (about 40 gallons) in heavy duty plastic contractor clean up bags. We put about 4 or 5 gallons in each bag and knotted the top closed and then folded it over and clinched it with a zip tie. We transported the bags in rubber maid containers. 4 or 5 bags fit in each rubber maid container and it was easy to move because you could pick up each bag individually. In hindsight, I wish I had moved all of the water. Oh yeah, 1 bag leaked so transporting it in a rubber maid container saved the day.

Tom

offshore
04/20/2007, 02:28 PM
I have 50 gallons of ro di water made up if you want it, I will donate it to help you with your move.

Radicaljbr
04/20/2007, 07:29 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9774656#post9774656 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by offshore
I have 50 gallons of ro di water made up if you want it, I will donate it to help you with your move.

I am not moving till the 24th so you will probably use it by then. I think if I can get in a day early just to hook my RO up, I should be fine since I can make 100 gallons in about 18 hours.

I will sure keep you in mind though and see how things are planned out.

I really appritiate yours and everyone's kind offers.

:)

bigdaddyadam
04/20/2007, 10:23 PM
I moved my 55 from toledo to cleveland last year, inlcuding all the water...we used two of the very large long coolers, like you would use on a salmon fishing trip...all corals and fish were bagged and put in the coolers...then more water put in to keep them warm and trasport water...rock was put in other cooler with water...rest of the water was in buckets...didn't lose a thing although it sure was a pain.

my advice, do it on a seperate day from the rest of the move...it took use a full day to tear down, move, and set back up...and you really do not want all that stuff sitting in buckets for 24-36 hours like you said...you will definetly lose stuff that way

Radicaljbr
06/04/2007, 10:07 PM
OK...here is a little update.

I decided at the last minute to scrap the moving company and move myself. I had around 8 freinds show up for the move. We rented to 26 foot long Penske trucks with lift gates. We spent all day on the 23rd loading the two (had to make one more trip on the 24th to finish). After everyone left to get some sleep for the unloading the next day, I started tearing my tank down. This started at around 10:00PM. All the rock fit into 6 large Kent salt buckets. These are a little larger than 5 gallons. I then filled them up with water from the tank. YES, they were heavy.

I then took 3 large new trash cans and put the sand into them deviding it up the best way I could. No water added.

Fish, snails, corals and other inverts were put into yet another bucket.

I was done tearing the tank down at around 3:00AM.

My crew arrived at 7:00AM at my new house in Hudson to help unload the trucks. As mentioned above, we had to make another trip back for a 3rd full truck.

We were not done unloading till around 11:00PM and I totally never thought about the buckets and cans sitting in my new basement. It ended up being 48 hours before the contents were opened and delt with.

I dumped all the sand into one trash can and all the rock into the other 2. They are still in these cans with heat and lots of circulation. There was a pretty bad smell for about a day or two, but now it seems to be fine. I am doing bi-weekly water changes till it seems fine which is right about now.

I am leaving everything in the cans till I can build my in-wall. I have a perfect setup for an inwall in the finished basement room. Hoping to get this started this weekend.

I was very suprised when I took my tank down that the DSB really did not smell that bad. Maybe I got used to it, but I have heard horror stories about the smell. Mine really just smelled sort of like going to the ocean. OK....maybe a little stronger.

I thank everyone for their offers to help, but I kept finding more and more buckets each day.

I will have to start a new thread about the making of my in wall.

Thanks again!!