PDA

View Full Version : Jager Heaters

Uncle Boo
04/19/2007, 07:48 PM
I just received my 2 Jager heaters and read the intructions. I bought these to put in my sump but the directions say not to submerse them. There is a line around the top that has a water level line on them. I thought these were supposed to be the best heaters to use and I've seen pictures of sumps that had them laying on the bottom. Can I do this or do I have to have them upright with the endcaps out of the water?

buildinboats
04/19/2007, 08:28 PM
I've had 3 Ebo Jagers fully submerged 24/7 for over 10 years with no problems. I see the design for the top cap has changed so maybe someone else can chime in on the newer models. OTOH, with electricity it may be better to follow the directions!

salthappy
04/19/2007, 08:42 PM
I have 2 new ones and 1 old one all are totally under water in sump no problems.

Litefoot Sr
04/19/2007, 08:48 PM
This is confusing. I've used Ebo Jager heaters for years and I have them in my sump. I see Marine Depot says they can be submerged but Foster and Smith says they need to stay below the line. It could be a liability thing. I seem to remember seeing a warning on the packaging that recommended it not be submerged. Let's get some more feedback and see what the consensus is.

thorsky
04/19/2007, 09:05 PM
The Jager's are submersible, the only reason they say they aren't is a US certification issue (can't remember what it was but it may be the UL listing thing). In Europe, they are certified as and sold as submersible heaters. I just got a new one and it's running fine submersed.

Marc
04/21/2007, 11:16 PM
I have gone through 3 Jager heaters and I can tell you this. It is a good idea to install it in a way to keep the top of the heater above the water line or at the water minimum water line. What happens is the rubber seal starts to get hard and crack and wear out. That allows water or in my case heavy moisture to get in and starts to short out the electronic thermostats along with the safety feature sensors built into the heater that shuts off the heater when the heater is out of the water. I believe this happens to all heaters. All submersible heaters will do this at some point or another.

Marc

lightdir
04/21/2007, 11:33 PM
I had the same concerns about my jager heater that is why I have a aqua jr controller controlling it.

Litefoot Sr
04/21/2007, 11:45 PM
I can't disagree that it would be better to install the heater with the top out of water. It could last a bit longer, but they don't cost that much in the first place. I've had a few heaters also, but I think the Jager is still a high quality product. I've always had extra heaters for spares and of course they're cheaper but they are the ones that don't last. Nothing that cheap that is laying in salt water is going to last for ever. Bottom line is, I wouldn't worry about it too much. If you can prop it up, why not. Like I said, I've been using them in the sump for years with great success.