PDA

View Full Version : Mushroom hunters

john eichwedel
04/19/2007, 05:06 PM
Anybody doing good yet?North Central Illinois should pop this weekend with 2 days in the 70's.BTW-I think I remember 2 days in the 70's.I think Morels and Crappies should be on the state flag!John

Aliie
04/19/2007, 05:07 PM
The mushrooms that are hunted down here are illegal to be cuaght with. :lol:

john eichwedel
04/19/2007, 05:41 PM
What was the old line?Could'nt you just give me a cigarette and hit me over the head with a hammer?I gave the cow-poo shrooms up 30 years ago.I think I'll be OK someday.But I might smoke with Wiilly again if I ever run in to him.It's legal at his house,right?

catdoc
04/19/2007, 05:52 PM
Here's my dad's take from a couple weeks ago (in KS):

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y167/catdoc/morels.jpg

He said on his second trip, he found that many again. So far, it's been pretty sparse here but hopefully this weekend will fix that!

hubris007
04/19/2007, 06:06 PM
Catdoc: Is he an old, bold mushroom hunter?

kfisc
04/19/2007, 07:25 PM
Man! I was just thinking of morels. I leave for my annual Indiana mushroom hunt tomorrow; they always peak in my spots right about the 23rd. Plus I get to see the folks and the niece and nephew (who's nice enough to let me borrow his car for the trek to the woods).

Absolutely nothing quite like loping along in a Hoosier forest at this time of year.

Ha!

Scuba_Dave
04/19/2007, 07:34 PM
It's been raining here for 5 days
Is that good or bad?
I was going to go for a walk og the woods & explore a little before the leaves break out & you can't see
Not sure there are even any around here

kfisc
04/19/2007, 07:38 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9768334#post9768334 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Scuba_Dave
It's been raining here for 5 days
Is that good or bad?
I was going to go for a walk og the woods & explore a little before the leaves break out & you can't see
Not sure there are even any around here

I've been trying in NW CT for two years; no luck. I just don't know the territory, or if they even really grow much up here. I bet it would be early May if they did...

Nina51
04/19/2007, 08:03 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9767596#post9767596 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by catdoc
Here's my dad's take from a couple weeks ago (in KS):

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y167/catdoc/morels.jpg

He said on his second trip, he found that many again. So far, it's been pretty sparse here but hopefully this weekend will fix that!

there's that crock again! hey catdoc, i'll take a few of the mushrooms if you wanna throw 'em in but, I WANT THAT CROCK.

oh guess what! the bluebird eggs are hatching. :)

VoidRaven
04/19/2007, 08:13 PM
One 'shroom right here

http://otaku1990.ot.funpic.de/wb/media/retro%20v/ssbbroster_toad.jpg

Krazy
04/19/2007, 10:05 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9767300#post9767300 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Aliie
The mushrooms that are hunted down here are illegal to be cuaght with. :lol:

Oh yeah ?

Why's that :D

surfy
04/19/2007, 10:28 PM
I planted a small morel garden in my yard last year, so I am keeping my fingers crossed.

chrisstie
04/19/2007, 11:04 PM
Are morels something those of us in the south would be able to find at a grocer?

For most of my life I haven't eaten mushrooms- they just tasted horrible to me! But within the last 6 months or so I've been a little more bold in trying new foods and have acquired the taste for some mushrooms. I really enjoy ones that are cooked in something- like shiitake in asian flavors or whatever the ones they use in a Marsala dish are- they soak up the broth or wine and actually taste really really good!

I wouldn't mind trying a new one if these are supposed to be really really that yummy but I've never heard of them until the other thread a few weeks ago

Aliie
04/20/2007, 06:08 AM
I agree Chrisstie, I wouldn't mind trying them either but have never seen them here in the south. Last time Catdog posted the pic I looked for them at the store but couldn't find them. Of course noone here seems to know what the heck I'm talking about.

KrazyK, they just are ;)

chrisstie
04/20/2007, 09:09 AM
"You're looking for morals??? At the grocery store? Sorry ma'am we only sell food here..." hehehe

Nykademus
04/20/2007, 09:22 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9769868#post9769868 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by surfy
I planted a small morel garden in my yard last year, so I am keeping my fingers crossed.

How do you plant a Morel garden? The reason they call it mushroom "hunting" is because they havent figured out why or where they pop up.. a few general ideas and more than a few wives tales.. but no hard facts.

On a side note, people here FREAK out when they start popping. You can pick them and sell them to grocery stores for 2 or 3 dollars a lb. and they then get about 6 a lb.

I wont eat them.. nasty nasty things.. but love to go chase them down because it usually involves cruising up and down the river in the boat with my father. :)

Nykademus
04/20/2007, 09:24 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9771417#post9771417 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Aliie
I agree Chrisstie, I wouldn't mind trying them either but have never seen them here in the south. Last time Catdog posted the pic I looked for them at the store but couldn't find them. Of course noone here seems to know what the heck I'm talking about.

KrazyK, they just are ;)

You wont find them at the store.

They only grow for a couple weeks out of the year in early spring and they only grow in a very very small portion of the United States (midwest).

Nina51
04/20/2007, 10:02 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9772378#post9772378 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Nykademus
How do you plant a Morel garden? The reason they call it mushroom "hunting" is because they havent figured out why or where they pop up.. a few general ideas and more than a few wives tales.. but no hard facts.

On a side note, people here FREAK out when they start popping. You can pick them and sell them to grocery stores for 2 or 3 dollars a lb. and they then get about 6 a lb.

I wont eat them.. nasty nasty things.. but love to go chase them down because it usually involves cruising up and down the river in the boat with my father. :)

i was gonna ask the same thing because if there's a way to plant a morel garden, I WANNA KNOW!!! i have seen them sell at a general auction for $13-$15/pound.

it's all people talk about this time of year. this weekend should be good hunting, supposed to get very warm and we've had significant rain over the past few weeks. if you ask somebody where they find so many, they look at you like you just fell off the turnip truck. they do NOT give that information out!!!

griss
04/20/2007, 10:02 AM
What kind of gun do you use to hunt mushrooms? Or is it just bow season?

Krazy
04/20/2007, 10:11 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9771417#post9771417 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Aliie

KrazyK, they just are ;)

:lol:

:D

newtophish
04/20/2007, 10:47 AM
Everything you wanted to know but were afraid to ask....

http://morelmushroomhunting.com/

surfy
04/20/2007, 12:58 PM
I purchased a kit through these guys http://www.gmushrooms.com/MHK.HTM

I have purchased other kits from them in the past and all of them have produced very big and tasty mushrooms. The morels are a bit of a gamble though.

Nykademus
04/20/2007, 01:58 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9773974#post9773974 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by surfy
I have purchased other kits from them in the past and all of them have produced very big and tasty mushrooms. The morels are a bit of a gamble though.

pretty cool.. hope it works out for you.

Joe
04/20/2007, 08:05 PM
In Pennsylvania, we mostly find them around poplar and elm trees, right about this time....

Joe

Aliie
04/20/2007, 08:16 PM
ALRIGHT!! Now we have a judge in the lounge. WELCOME TO THE OTHER SIDE OF INSANITY!!! Glad to have you here JOE :D

Legal Guru
Attorney
Judge

The tri-fecta has been completed!!

Back to the mushrooms now, do you up north ship them out to the rest of the US or do you just hoard them? Any ideas where I might be able to get some? I'd really like to see what they taste like.

crp
04/20/2007, 08:57 PM
DKH

IN YOUR FACE! :lol:

john eichwedel
04/22/2007, 06:45 PM
Found about a dozen little greys today.Had to crawl through the bramble$#@% to find them.With tonights storm and the following warmth,next week or two will be shroom heaven.www.thegreatmorel.com

reefshadow
04/22/2007, 08:22 PM
They only grow for a couple weeks out of the year in early spring and they only grow in a very very small portion of the United States (midwest).
They're a huge cottage industry here in Washington state and Oregon.
I'm curious too... I thought so far they had eluded any propagation attempts, thus the high price and spotty availability. In Washington competion is pretty fierce, people say they grow in burn areas a few years after a burn, so you can often see hunters in burnt forested areas. Fistfights and worse have been reported, lol.

Angel*Fish
04/22/2007, 08:46 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9772378#post9772378 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Nykademus

Everybody knows they only sprout up where the faeries were dancing the night before - duh!

Like Allie, we only have the illegal mushrooms :( . I've always wanted to try a morel but we only get dried ones in the stores here. I love mushrooms and I'm told morels are the very best.