View Full Version : AYR-FOIL as reflector

lilko
08/28/2002, 11:29 AM
I found this product called AYR-FOIL in homedepot, that is used for insulation purposes. Basicly is bubble plastic used for wrapping coated with aluminium foil. I am thinking about using it in my hood as reflector and also as wood protection.

Any ideas?

Robert

Toutouche
08/28/2002, 02:02 PM
I'd worry about the heat for the plastic bubbles pecially with MH lights. What I, and lots of others use is the foil that is a very highly reflective chrome finish that is sold at all hydroponic stores. Also very, very cheap. Look into that first. I bought mine at $1.50 per linear foot and 54" wide. Cost me $8.00 to completely line my hood.

Dargason
08/28/2002, 07:24 PM
Hmm... I didn't hear of that hydroponic foil before...

What I just bought for my reflector is aluminum flashing from Home Depot. I bought a roll that is 14" by 10 feet for about $8.00. I think that works out to be more than the hydroponic stuff, but I can easily bend it into the shape I want for optimum reflection.

Toutouche
08/28/2002, 09:58 PM
Dargason, the hydroponic foil is way better for reflecting. It's specifically made for that, and has a mirror like chrome finish. It will reflect much better than the aluminum. You might want to try lining the flashing with this foil. It will definitely improve the reflection you have now.

gobygoby
08/28/2002, 10:09 PM
Toutouch,
Any places on the net where we could get that stuff? What exactly is it called? I want some.

gobyfish04@aol.com
Kyle

Toutouche
08/28/2002, 11:16 PM
Don't know about on the net. Just look in your phone book for hydroponic stores. They all carry this stuff. Don't know the exact name, but just ask for the shiny reflective foil to reflect the lighting, and they should know what you're talking about. I've heard someone call it mylar sheets, but to me mylar is somthing else, but try anyways.

gobygoby
08/28/2002, 11:40 PM
thanks, i hope i can find it. I am building a canopy for all my lights and this is hopefully exactly what I need!!

Kyle

dattack
08/29/2002, 12:50 AM
Is this hydroponic film you guys referring to as Mylar? You can get some at a hobby shop also.

http://www.hydroponics.net/_scripts/_lists/details.asp?i=242901

tang_man_montreal
08/29/2002, 08:33 AM
Yes, what Toutouche is referring to is Mylar.

I've seen his setup, with VHO's and now with his new MH's. It is VERY effective.

I have a roll at home that I will be using to line my hood with this wkend.

I will be using spray on glue to stick it on. Staples would just rust over time, and start to look ugly.

Toutouche
08/29/2002, 12:30 PM
Aaaaawwww shucks!!!! why, thank you Tangman.....:love1:

tang_man_montreal
08/29/2002, 01:22 PM
lol... you're gonna make me blush :o