PDA

View Full Version : Lightest live rock?

Wild Card-inal
08/27/2002, 09:06 PM
I want to know what kind of live rock (location-wise, our lfs now hosts four kinds of live rock, although I'm not too keen on their names yet) is the lightest/least dense? I want a piece(s) that is a good size, but since our store measures by weight, I want to know what is the lightest. Trying to stretch my dollar, you see...

sven
08/27/2002, 09:09 PM
Your best bet is to pick it up or ask them.

mobert
08/27/2002, 09:19 PM
I think Monano (sp) is real light. The problem with light rock though is they are more prone to avalanche. IMO

K. Lee
08/27/2002, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by Wild Card-inal
I want to know what kind of live rock (location-wise, our lfs now hosts four kinds of live rock, although I'm not too keen on their names yet) is the lightest/least dense? I want a piece(s) that is a good size, but since our store measures by weight, I want to know what is the lightest. Trying to stretch my dollar, you see...

What kinds do they sell?

FWIW, lighter rock usually costs more, so . . ..

pnosko
08/27/2002, 09:32 PM
I have no basis for comparison since this was my first live rock purchase. But I was absolutely amazed that 70lbs of Kaelini from Dr. Mac displaced only 3-4 gallons of water.

yikan
08/28/2002, 02:11 AM
Originally posted by pnosko
But I was absolutely amazed that 70lbs of Kaelini from Dr. Mac displaced only 3-4 gallons of water.

If Kaelini rock has low density, shouldn't we expect it to replace a LOT of water compared to Gulf rock and even the Fiji rock given the same weight?

Todd March
08/28/2002, 03:28 AM
Almost all of the Pacific rock is rather light... I think Marshall Island is the lightest--very airy and open... Not to mention utterly beautiful too...

pnosko
08/28/2002, 08:38 AM
Originally posted by yikan
If Kaelini rock has low density, shouldn't we expect it to replace a LOT of water comparedI would think just the opposite. Dense: not porous and not filling with water.

yikan
08/28/2002, 09:18 AM
Originally posted by pnosko
I would think just the opposite. Dense: not porous and not filling with water.

Gosh Pete you almost got me confused.... But:

density = mass/volume

Given the mass = 70lbs, lower density should give us larger *net* volume (porous or not), and this net volume will displace the water volume. Porosity is not playing a direct role in this calculation because both mass and volume are a function of porosity.

It is true porous rock will be filled with more water inside its structure, but think this way: Although the rock is porous, there must be something solid to make up the 70lb weight.

OK enough of the rambling and I think I am going crazy.......

pnosko
08/28/2002, 10:37 AM
yikan, I stand corrected. It seems I'm about as dense as my LR! ;)

Thanks for the refresher course. :)

yikan
08/28/2002, 10:49 AM
Cool Pete. At one point I thought you were right. LOL. :)

Wild Card-inal
08/30/2002, 12:29 AM
Does anyone else have input or is that it?

Can I have more examples of Pacific Live Rock just so I have something else to go for if I can't get Marshall Islands?

J Crew
08/30/2002, 12:40 AM
i think marshall island is one of the lightest, if not the lightest. you may not be able to get this LR in your area, but you can order it online. i just order 10lbs from Jeff's Exotic Fish ( http://www.exoticfish.com/ ) and he only charged me .50 cent per pound. it was $50 bucks exactly to have 10lbs or marshall island rock delivered to my door! i will get it tomorrow, so we'll see how it looks. but i'm expecting it to be much better than my fiji rock that i have. hth, peace :)