PDA

View Full Version : What's next?

cyeater
04/15/2007, 02:16 PM
Hello all,

I know I have been posting quite a bit lately under new threads each time....anyway 75 Gallon tank filled with ro/di water from lfs, 80 lbs of dry aragonite sand is in, i mixed salt outside of tank by the way this is a new tank setup, I know I need to buy a refractometer but for now I'm using a Deep Six Hydrometer, so far the salinity read is about 1.027 but salt has only been circulation for about an hour, will retest later, after dust/sand storm settles down, the tank is quite cloudy now, protein skimmer is skimming what I am assuming is the dust, there is a lot of skimmate in the cups, after tank clears, I was wondering what the next step is, live rock? Raw/Uncooked Cocktail shrimp? I am also running Marineland Black Diamond Carbon which I am hoping will clear up the tank as well, but overall what is the next step?

Thanks

dc_909
04/15/2007, 02:36 PM
I would personally get some LR now, but cure in a separate container before placing in tank.

cyeater
04/15/2007, 02:38 PM
was planning on getting the LR once I can get a good salinity reading, and after dust storm settles, the LFS here has Bali Live Rock Cured for around 10 bucks a pound

Joshua1023
04/15/2007, 02:50 PM
10 dollars a pound times 75 pounds=$750. Wow. If it is cured, than you are in good shape. Put the rock in and your off and running. I'd be a little skeptical about the claimed cured rock. Of coarse I know nothing about your lfs, but it is better to be safe than sorry. Put the rock in your tank and watch your levels for the first week. If you don't get any increase in nitrites and such than you are safe to start adding life. Start w/ a small clean up crew.

cyeater
04/15/2007, 03:07 PM
My LFS has been around for 25 years, just moved into a new building about 3 months ago, I won't be getting 75 lbs of live rock right away, I will add little by little, the owner of the LFS has 2 1,500 gallon tanks, they are awesome, the first time I set foot in his store made me make the switch from freshwater to saltwater, his tanks are kept up nicely they are well immaculate, his corals are awesome, he said he will be setting up 2,500 gallon tank soon for sharks, I can't wait for that

davefan13
04/15/2007, 04:05 PM
for your live rock, you could always just order off the internet. oceanproaquatics.com has some cured fiji live rock for only 2.25 a pound. Shipping is like 50 bucks, but that's nothing compared to what you seem ready to spend on rock. Plus, becuase it will be next day, you don't have to worry about timing issues or anything.

Sk8r
04/15/2007, 04:12 PM
cyeater, you can get 70 lbs of salt-ok base rock on the cheap and then get 5-10 lbs of that good live rock, set the lr on top, and just take a long cycle getting started. It's slower, but it gets you in business for 50 dollars plus base rock cost, rather than 75 pounds of solid lr. It's the way we used to do it, and it works: your sand will also come live from it: just measure your cycle in weeks, like about 6-8, and start slowly and gently with fish and corals as you get started. You put your rock down first, then your sand, then your live rock on top, [I put egg crate under mine so it doesn't tip or roll when fish go digging tunnels.]

cyeater
04/15/2007, 06:00 PM
sk8r, I have thought of doing what you have just described, wow I just realized you have years of experience, one thing, I was told that 2-3 days after I add live rock, I could also add 1-2 damsels to really kick the cycle going, would this be a good thing to do? I have about 20-25 pounds of lace rock very holey in a sense, would this be a good type of rock to use? Let me know thanks again all of you

Oh yeah will it make a difference is sand has already been put down in the tank?

Victor1046
04/15/2007, 06:11 PM
Many people use the damsels to kick the cycle into gear but in many cases the fish will die due to the high amonia etc.
You can use cocktail shrimp or flake food instead of the live fish.
Which is what I prefer.
Good luck with your new venture

cyeater
04/15/2007, 06:13 PM
Arrrrgggghhhh so many tips and tricks, my mind is going crazy lol yeah I thought about the cocktail shrimp as well....

shag26272
04/15/2007, 06:24 PM
just use fish food like was mentioned before, I wouldnt use the damsels they are a pain in the butt to take out and they can get really mean. Most people stopped doing this a few years ago.

Joshua1023
04/15/2007, 06:26 PM
Not to mention its really not fair to the fish to put it through the cycle just because it usually won't kill it, just stress the heck out of it.