PDA

View Full Version : black perc question

tee1172
04/15/2007, 01:16 PM
I bought 2 black percs about 5 or 6 months ago and about a month ago i lost one. Would I be creating a problem if I were to put in another black perc. At this point I am having a hard time finding one

Tortie
04/15/2007, 01:45 PM
First off, was the one you lost the larger of the two? I'm assuming they were paired if they were alright living together. When clowns are paired, the larger will turn into a female and the smaller will be the male. Your best bet, no matter whether it was the male or the female would be to add a smaller clown than the one you currently have. If you have the female then the new clown will take place of the other male. If it was the female, then your male will turn into a female and the other will take its place as a male. Of course, you'll have to watch the new addition very carefully and make sure both are getting along fine. Hope that helped. I'm very new to saltwater myself, but I've been doing a lot of reading up on clowns.

tee1172
04/15/2007, 01:51 PM
the one i lost was the smaller but i bought them from fosters and smith and i just ordered 2 it didn't say that they were a pair

Tortie
04/15/2007, 03:29 PM
I'd assume that you lost the male and as long as you order one that's smaller than your current, you should be fine. Again, watch the tank very cautiously to make sure the new addition is getting along with your other clown.

Slakker
04/15/2007, 03:44 PM
FWIW there is no "black percula," i'd assume you have black ocellaris.

Sorry to hear about your loss! As stated, getting a smaller one is the best (only) way to have a successful pairing in this case. Best of luck! :)

tee1172
04/15/2007, 08:07 PM
when I ordered from fosters and smith it says black percs

cape surf rules
04/15/2007, 08:34 PM
you need to get a smaller one than you currently have if you want them to pair.

Slakker
04/15/2007, 08:39 PM
I've not seen Black Percula clownfish on any of the Drs. Foster and Smith website. Which makes sense, because they don't exist.

tee1172
04/15/2007, 09:05 PM
here is my packing slip that says black and white percs

tee1172
04/15/2007, 09:11 PM
here is my packing slip that says black and white percs

tee1172
04/15/2007, 09:14 PM
here is my packing slip

tee1172
04/15/2007, 09:16 PM
i cant get my slip to post

tee1172
04/15/2007, 09:45 PM
see if this works

tee1172
04/15/2007, 09:46 PM
slakker
if you click on the attachment above foster.doc you will see what my packing slip said

Slakker
04/15/2007, 09:48 PM
I don't care what your packing slip says, there is no black and white variant of A. Percula.

phender
04/15/2007, 10:14 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9735633#post9735633 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Slakker
I don't care what your packing slip says, there is no black and white variant of A. Percula.

Holy cow! Please explain what you mean when you say stuff like this.

The LiveAquaria website does indeed offer Black and white percula clownfish, however, if you look at the species name just below it says A. ocellaris variant.

What Slakker is trying to say is LiveAquaria uses an improper common name for the clownfish that you purchased. They call it a black and white percula when in reality it is not Amphiprion percula, but an Amphiprion ocellaris instead.

I don't know why they label their orange ocellaris as ocellaris and their B & W ocellaris as percula, but they do.

Raibaru
04/15/2007, 10:18 PM
You guys are really going off on a tangent here. It is very typical for Black Oscellaris to be called Black Percula. Just like it is very common for Oscellaris clowns to be called Percula Clowns and True Percs to be called True Percula Clowns. That said, what you have is technically an Oscellaris Clownfish.

Anyway, so long as you get a smaller clownfish then the one you have now you will have no problems. Maybe some initial conflict just because of it being a new fish, but Osc. Clowns don't fight long or as rough as other clowns.

Just when you place the order ask for a small clown or call them up and tell them the scenario and ask them that way. I believe they have a 1800 toll-free number there.

USC-fan
04/15/2007, 10:31 PM
here is the reason to why this fish is label "wrong."

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=9276088#post9276088

Aren't Percula and Ocellaris different type of fish? How can a black & white Percula be a type of Ocellaris?

That is an excellent question. Percula Clownfish and Ocellaris are different fish. However, the Black and White Percula Clownfish is also known as the False Percula because it is closely related to, and easily confused with, the True Percula Clownfish from the Indo-Pacific. Tank-raised clowns sized less than two inches are usually less than a year old. Normally they will reach maturity within 9 to 15 months.

Slakker
04/16/2007, 12:53 AM
I did a search on the LiveAquaria site before my first post just to make sure they didn't have a mislabel, and my search resulted in "Black and White Ocellaris Clownfish - Tank Bred." Perhaps 6 months ago they did in fact have it labeled incorrectly, but I can't find it currently.

I apologize for my less than pleasant response, tee1172. I hope my inability to properly explain myself hasn't soured you on the rest of the people in this forum.