PDA

View Full Version : Bubble coral problem!

guppy4209
04/14/2007, 07:16 PM
I have a white bubble coral that recently started to change to a brownish purple color. This started about a month ago, it appeared to be fine and now all of a sudden it seems to not be opening as much. I have also notice that there is some algea growing on two of the boney pieces and I know that is not good but I am pretty new at salt water and I am not sure what I need to do. I really like my bubbles and I hope I am not going to lose them.

T Man
04/14/2007, 07:33 PM
What size tank is it in? Also what other inverts are in there with it? Is there a sandbed or live rock? circulation? Filtration? It can be a multitude of things that can be happening- I would start with checking your water quality and make sure that it has plenty of alternating flow. LPS are beautiful specimens, but are difficult to satisfy. Let us know what happens. And Welcome to Reef Central! TinMan

homebrewdude
04/16/2007, 10:37 PM
Mine is doing the same thing...

My water parameters are perfect.
All other corals are fine.

I have it in low flow and under a ledge to shade from my 250watt MH bulbs..

T Man
04/16/2007, 11:03 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9744657#post9744657 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by homebrewdude
Mine is doing the same thing...

My water parameters are perfect.
All other corals are fine.

I have it in low flow and under a ledge to shade from my 250watt MH bulbs..

Do some observation at night, watch the sweepers for signs such as unidirectional flow- without alternating current, the flow side of the peice will slowly turn brown and eventually perish.
I can say this because I've been in this same boat before. I lost the most beautiful branching hammer to exactly what you two guys are discribing, I feel ya'! TinMan