PDA

View Full Version : das skimmers

skwirl
04/13/2007, 05:49 PM
anybody know where to get em/ get info on em? i cant find em anywhere..

tweetyfish
04/13/2007, 05:56 PM
Here you go.
http://stores.petorama.net/Categories.bok?category=Aquarium+Supplies%3APumps%2FFilters%3AFilters

USC-fan
04/13/2007, 05:57 PM
i just got brought the das ex2 from petorama[sp?].

Check out my thread here:
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1054301

i posted pics and video near the end of it.

Its an awesome skimmer, i don't think any skimmer in that price range can beat its performance.

smackwater
04/13/2007, 05:57 PM
you get them here.

http://stores.petorama.net/StoreFront.bok

smackwater
04/13/2007, 06:14 PM
I was lookin into the das skimmers

Then I looked into this site. http://www.protein-skimmer.com/

I got basically the same skimmer as das 3 but twice the thickness on acrylic

U.S.A cast

excellent build, lifetime warranty on craftsmanship. comparably price to

the das, awesome costumer support.

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/93383__2_.jpg

USC-fan
04/13/2007, 06:21 PM
How much did that cost you?

The das skimmers do have a better design than those....

smackwater
04/13/2007, 06:45 PM
The das skimmers do have a better design than those....
Care to elaborate?

you can have Orca build your skimmer however you want

You need to e-mail for prices

E-A-G-L-E-S
04/13/2007, 06:47 PM
really??
http://stores.petorama.net/catalog/EX-3_Large.jpg

1. No flanged neck to be able to clean the whole skimmer easily.
2. No true union for "0" clearence collection cup removal.
3. Small standpipe and 'T' on the DAS
4. Are the DAS as thick of acrylic?

USC-fan
04/13/2007, 07:02 PM
http://www.protein-skimmer.com/images/customers/446996/eshop_images/DASskimmer.jpg

1. Its comes with a key lock skimmer cup, same as deltec. I really like this and its so easy to remove.
2. The input pipe is angled so it "spins" the water in the chamber.
3. The input for the skimmer pumps is lower so you don't need the elbows on the output to push the water down. That is the same problem the h&S skimmers have.
4. The water output from the skimmer is higher so you don't need the gate value. Just something less to go wrong.
5. My ex2 comes with 1/3" thick acrylic and its 6in wide.

smackwater
how much did your skimmer cost?

E-A-G-L-E-S
04/13/2007, 07:14 PM
1. Oh that is good.
2. So does a skimmer from Orca.
3. That is good.
4. That Sch. 80 1" output is too restrictive.
5. A gate valve does nothing but allow control of water level, which in a DAS is set, so no play. Gate valves do not fail as their is no mechanical pieces, just a piece of plastic that restricts water flow.

USC-fan
04/13/2007, 07:21 PM
Must have been a bad picture, i didn't see the angled input.

How is the 1" inch pipe too restrictive? You are only putting about 300gph through the skimmer.

What is the point of the gate valve? If you have the correct water flow[around 300gph] the water height is fixed right where it needs to be.

Eagle have you got a skimmer built by them yet?

E-A-G-L-E-S
04/13/2007, 07:33 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9719935#post9719935 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Kb-smoker
Must have been a bad picture, i didn't see the angled input.

How is the 1" inch pipe too restrictive? You are only putting about 300gph through the skimmer.

What is the point of the gate valve? If you have the correct water flow[around 300gph] the water height is fixed right where it needs to be.

Eagle have you got a skimmer built by them yet?

1. The skimmers on his site are just examples. Whatever you want built, he'll do it.

2.That's just my opinion, may not be correct.

3. "right" .... that is a very subjective thing. A fixed level means the same type of skimmate all the time. No ability to skim wetter or more dry. that is a control I want.

4. Yes, it's been running for 13 days now I believe :)

E-A-G-L-E-S
04/13/2007, 07:34 PM
But it is a great skimmer for the price, you are right.

USC-fan
04/13/2007, 07:52 PM
Yeah these are some kick *** skimmers.

"3. "right" .... that is a very subjective thing. A fixed level means the same type of skimmate all the time. No ability to skim wetter or more dry. that is a control I want."

You can control all of this by the value on the skimmer input and the air values for the pumps. So i can have it skim very dry or wet.

Rip Current
04/13/2007, 08:24 PM
das/diy skimmer

http://http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/65238mini-das_skimmer_003.jpg http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/65238mini-das_skimmer_003.jpg

PrangeWay
04/13/2007, 08:43 PM
DAS are just the older model deltecs under licsense, even to the pin wheel and pump.

PW

Freds
04/14/2007, 12:34 AM
DAS is not Deltec. I own one of each and I can assure you that there is a BIG difference between them. The impellers are very different, the Needlewheels are VERY different, the shaft and gromits are different and the Aquabee pumps are NOT interchangeable!

The Deltec is FAR superior to the DAS although the DAS is good for the money. Stay away from the BX models they are junk. The EX-2 is good but the EX-3 wattage and cost wise isn't worth it.

Eagles there is more to a skimmer than the way it looks. What's important is the pump and impeller + the amount of air vs/ volume of water and the space and time it has to react in. The Deltec APF600 for example mixes TINY bubbles in a very small (relatively) space. The body is complete opaque, solid like the background of this page. You won't find that on a DAS skimmer.

Also you can control the water height on a these skimmers by use of the air tap. More air = wetter skimmate , less air= dryer skimmate. You can also add more or less water throughput as well.

Goodwood
04/14/2007, 01:20 AM
My buddy with a DAS is always impressed with how my Deltec produces. There for sure is a difference, but for the money a DAS is great; ive used a few.

hahnmeister
04/14/2007, 01:53 AM
The DAS are built under liscence from Deltec. The deltecs started going with the eheim pumps because the pumps were easier to mod with the larger outputs = more lph of air. In the EU, the aquabees are considered rather crappy pumps, like a RIO over here. Im sure its just a 220v thing (220v pumps need more windings and if they dont they tend to run warm... a non-issue when running a 220v design on 110v). But it did factor in to Deltec's EU sales to switch to the eheim.

See... H&S and Deltec own the patent on the eheim pinwheel in the EU (they share it), so only they can liscence it out.

Kb-smoker... You said...
"3. The input for the skimmer pumps is lower so you don't need the elbows on the output to push the water down. That is the same problem the h&S skimmers have."
This is not an advantage or disadvantage. Having the pump up higher means more lph of air, and then you can aim the outlet down in the skimmer to extend the dwell time. If the pump is lower, yes, you dont have to angle the pump outlet down (it might be too low then), but you get less lph of air. There are certain skimmers that have the pumps up high on the skimmer, with their inputs down low to create a downdraft between the output and the intake... this is another method of getting more air into the skimmer because the pump's air intake once again is higher.

Im just saying its all relative. The best in some people's eyes may be a bubble plate, but this might mount the pump so low on the skimmer that the air intake of the pump is hindered more than its worth.

Which would you rather have, an extra 200lph of air or an extra 6" of height/dwell time? Its a trading game.

USC-fan
04/14/2007, 07:00 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9722251#post9722251 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Freds
DAS is not Deltec. I own one of each and I can assure you that there is a BIG difference between them. The impellers are very different, the Needlewheels are VERY different, the shaft and gromits are different and the Aquabee pumps are NOT interchangeable!

The Deltec is FAR superior to the DAS although the DAS is good for the money. Stay away from the BX models they are junk. The EX-2 is good but the EX-3 wattage and cost wise isn't worth it.

Eagles there is more to a skimmer than the way it looks. What's important is the pump and impeller + the amount of air vs/ volume of water and the space and time it has to react in. The Deltec APF600 for example mixes TINY bubbles in a very small (relatively) space. The body is complete opaque, solid like the background of this page. You won't find that on a DAS skimmer.

Also you can control the water height on a these skimmers by use of the air tap. More air = wetter skimmate , less air= dryer skimmate. You can also add more or less water throughput as well. The das and H&S skimmer use the same pump/pin wheel. They are 100% the same and i don't think anyone would say the H&S skimmers can't keep up with deltec.

Here is my ex-2 in action....
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n191/kbsmoker/th_c24aab10.jpg (http://s112.photobucket.com/albums/n191/kbsmoker/?action=view&current=c24aab10.flv) http://img515.imageshack.us/img515/9320/dsc09258xy0.jpg:D

DeltecRules
04/14/2007, 07:44 AM
DAS aquabee's are not modified like deltecs. Deltec has changed the internals to run more efficient than the DAS aquabee's. Check this thread out with someone trying to use a DAS aquabee 2001 to replace the deltecs one on his APF600. There is an actual difference according to the user. Apparantly the Deltec aquabee's have a larger internal chamber than DAS. I don't think DAS utilizes a Flap to help the impellar spin properly on startup since I believe thats new deltec technology. I could be wrong though.

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1090523

USC-fan
04/14/2007, 07:52 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9723045#post9723045 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by DeltecRules
DAS aquabee's are not modified like deltecs. Deltec has changed the internals to run more efficient than the DAS aquabee's. Check this thread out with someone trying to use a DAS aquabee 2001 to replace the deltecs one on his APF600. There is an actual difference according to the user. Apparantly the Deltec aquabee's have a larger internal chamber than DAS. I don't think DAS utilizes a Flap to help the impellar spin properly on startup since I believe thats new deltec technology. I could be wrong though.

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1090523 Yeah, there is a difference between the deltec and DAS, but there is not a difference between the DAS and H&S skimmer pumps.

Also if you read that thread you would see the guy was using the wrong pump. He was using the BX pump and should have been using the EX. There is a big difference and that is why he was having problems.....

E-A-G-L-E-S
04/14/2007, 08:12 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9722251#post9722251 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Freds

Also you can control the water height on a these skimmers by use of the air tap. More air = wetter skimmate , less air= dryer skimmate. You can also add more or less water throughput as well.

1. Obviously, but NONE of the things i pointed out were cosmetic ;)

2. How?

DeltecRules
04/14/2007, 04:33 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9723068#post9723068 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Kb-smoker
Yeah, there is a difference between the deltec and DAS, but there is not a difference between the DAS and H&S skimmer pumps.

Also if you read that thread you would see the guy was using the wrong pump. He was using the BX pump and should have been using the EX. There is a big difference and that is why he was having problems.....

Still Deltec pumps are modified beyond what DAS does to there pumps which they do nothing to it. Which makes Deltec's a far better performer than DAS.

Creetin
04/14/2007, 08:55 PM
How much scfh does the deltecs aquabee's pull? I'll hook up a air meter to the das aquabee's tomarrow and report what i find.

skey44
04/14/2007, 09:16 PM
usa usa usa usa .... hmm 1/4" acrylic, custom sizing... don't see many comparisons here other than rc. true... like all the choices myself. cannot beat having the exact size and specs you want. i'm going with 8"bod, 4" neck and only 22" height, the das is only one size fits all??? gate valves are money you can skim however you want.... check out the octopus mods where guys are running their head 2/3 of the way up the skimmer only possible with gate valve. im happy with the relationship in the design process and playing the give take game with performance and pricing. most common mod on any stock skimmer is a gate valve mod id guess. but this does look good for price i guess

hahnmeister
04/14/2007, 09:26 PM
The eheim 1260/1262 pulls up to about 950lph (33.25scfh) on the Deltec AP701, 24" tall.

H&S A200-1260 pulls 950lph, but its also 30" tall.

The deltec AP851 pulls 900lph... same pump as the 701, on a 30" tall skimmer.

The champ...IMO... is the ATI threadwheel version for the BM250. No flap, no enlarged volute (are you sure Deltec enlarges the actual volute diameter? I have never seen this), just a threadwheel impeller and an enlarged output... 1800lph!

But the interesting part is that the new SPE5 pumps, as in Euro-reef's new 1260 needlewheels, are stock pumps according to my conversation with a tech there... and their getting 960lph on a 24" tall skimmer, and 900lph on a 30" tall.

I would not rate H&S and deltec pumps side by side unless running on the same height skimmer. Keep in mind that at 43" tall, the eheims drop to 750lph on the Deltec AP1006, and 720lph at 48" tall on the ER RC1000

The Deltec 2000/1 aquabee pulls 500lph (17.5")... but its a smaller pump of course than the eheim. The Deltec 2000 aquabee pulls 480lph.

The DAS 2000 aquabee pulls 500lph

http://www.hardcoreaquatics.com/forum/showthread.php/h_s_and_deltec-199.html?p=801

Id say that whatever minor differences you might want to argue (hey, did you know that the H&S fittings are all metric and the Deltecs arent, and the ATIs are slip?!??!... like it matters), the pumps all pull about the same air.

The only drastic pump improvement is on the threadwheel version... no flap in the pump, no enlarged volute... just a 1" enlagred outlet (I can do that myself easily) and a threadwheel.

Rip Current
04/14/2007, 09:51 PM
I just mesh moded a das aquabee and its pulling about 550 lph.
with the needlewheel it only pulled 330 lph.
the skimmer is 6" od and 29" tall

gw1100
04/14/2007, 11:09 PM
I can't get one through the petorama website... any suggestions?

USC-fan
04/15/2007, 12:51 AM
try this link....

http://stores.petorama.net/Categories.bok?category=Aquarium+Supplies%3APumps%2FFilters

gw1100
04/15/2007, 08:23 PM
Thank you Kb-smoker... but it does not work... I wrote to their online store to get some help... BTW I understand you have the EX-2 but I don't understand why in your pictures it looks like it is in your sump?

USC-fan
04/15/2007, 08:36 PM
It was the only place i will have to put it. You can run it in the sump with no problem.

if you are looking for the ex-1. This site also sells them.

http://protein-skimmer.com/shopping.asp?id=446996&itemid=6663&ct=1&shopperid=37375&merchantid=446996&shop=itemdetail.asp

gw1100
04/15/2007, 10:39 PM
Thank you but looking into an EX-2 for a 150 gl project I'm working on... so even if its external you can have good performance by puting in sump? How did you plumb it? I'm debating what to do... if external will a gravity feed be enough? or do I have to add another pump?

USC-fan
04/15/2007, 11:11 PM
putting in-sump doesnt change performance at all. I have the water level in the sump about 1" below the water exiting the skimmer.

I do plan to feed it off my overflow when i get my new tank setup but now i'm just using MJ1200.

Creetin
04/19/2007, 10:28 AM
I forgot about this thread. I am getting 20 scfh from the das aquabee. ;)
Its on a 24 inch tall skimmer. Not too shabby, Looks to be 558 lph
Compared to the 700-800 lph the deltecs aquabee's are pulling.
I bet a mesh mod would bring them alot closer in lph.

hahnmeister
04/19/2007, 12:46 PM
Deltec's aquabee is pulling 700-800?

PrangeWay
04/19/2007, 01:10 PM
Deltec's aquabee is pulling 700-800?

Somebody better tell Deltec that so they upgrade their literature, brochures and instructions!

PW

USC-fan
04/19/2007, 02:38 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9765396#post9765396 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by hahnmeister
Deltec's aquabee is pulling 700-800? noooo.....

my das is pulling around 480-500 lph per pump

Creetin
04/19/2007, 03:02 PM
I read that somewhere and didnt look into it, I took it as true. My bad.
I am getting 20 scfh on the ex1.

Aquaticman74
04/19/2007, 03:24 PM
Creetin-

Are you running your DAS side by side with your BM250?

Creetin
04/19/2007, 06:58 PM
Yes both are on the same tank, Its not a bm, But pretty good. The aquabee's are louder than the sicce pumps.
I may just mesh mod the ex1 and see what i get.
I am getting the ex3, and will compare the 2.

Aquaticman74
04/20/2007, 03:34 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9768086#post9768086 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Creetin
Yes both are on the same tank, Its not a bm, But pretty good. The aquabee's are louder than the sicce pumps.
I may just mesh mod the ex1 and see what i get.
I am getting the ex3, and will compare the 2.

How much performance does meshmodding the aquabee 2001's add?

Creetin
04/20/2007, 04:32 PM
Dunno someone said they got 50 more lph out of it, But i think it could be more if it was fully done. cut the needles out 2-3 layers, drill out the air injector. I havnt tried it, I seen it somewhere i'll go search it up and see if i can find who it was.

lgresham
04/23/2007, 01:37 PM
hi guys,

I just purchased a DAS Ex-2, and was wondering what I should use as a feed pump. I have about 130 gallons total, so that would be 195 gph if I did my math right. Should I use a maxijet 900, or more like a mag drive 3? TIA

Scott

USC-fan
04/23/2007, 02:00 PM
I'm using a mj1200 and it i just the right amount of flow. You want the water level to be right below where the collection cup connects to the skimmer.

Creetin
04/23/2007, 02:49 PM
I have mine fed by a genx 1000. Its a great little pump, Might be too much for you, But you can always throttle it back with the ballvalve on the skimmer.

So Kb the standpipe for the ex2 is still 1 inch?
Wonder if the ex3 has the one inch as well. Anybody that has one can ya confirm this? TIA
I don't think it matters much as the flow will be less than 300 gph.

USC-fan
04/23/2007, 03:05 PM
Yes it 1inch for the ex-2 and that is all you need. Its not like you are putting 500gph through it.

canesfan44
04/29/2007, 11:03 AM
has anyone put a gate valve/ball valve on the output of the DAS? I just got a DAS(upgrading from a Octopus Recirc, the small one, RPS100(?), I like it a lot, but need a bigger skimmer, soon getting a bigger tank) and was thinking of adding a gate valve, but want to know if anyone already did this(I'm sure quite a few people have), please let me know how well it helped, if at all.

Creetin
04/30/2007, 02:57 PM
I did it and i had more controll of dwell time. I was able to slow the feed to 50-70 gph on my ex1 and keep the waterlevel high enough with a gate valve on the output. ;)
I liked it alot, I am going to do that to my ex3 as well.
The ex3 has 1.25 plumbing.

skwirl
05/11/2007, 08:50 PM
i like this thread.. lets keep it going

lgresham
05/11/2007, 10:31 PM
I love this skimmer so much so far. I have a DAS Ex-2 that has been running for just about a week. I did break it in for about a week before that on freshly made SW. I just emptied the cup for the first time, and I practically made the entire house evacuate. I have had Euro Reefs, Aqua Cs, an ALS Predator 4 foot tall downdraft, but nothing has ever caused the response from the rest of my family that this one has. Gotta love that.... I'll get some pics of some skimmate and post them when available.

skwirl
05/11/2007, 10:48 PM
i keep teling people.. they dont know what they are missing