PDA

View Full Version : Couple Questions

Random Aquarist
04/13/2007, 10:37 AM
I have a couple questions I need answered.

1. On LiveAquaria, they say that the ideal temperature for reef tanks is 72-78 degrees. I thought it was 78-83 degrees. Which is right?

2. What do you put in first: sand or rock?

REHEM
04/13/2007, 10:51 AM
I keep my temperatures more in the 78-80 degree range, and as far as the sand/rock question, it helps to stand rock up when there is a bed of sand to nestle it in.

From what I understand though, it can be risky to place rock directly on top of sand because of some burrowing fish. They will sometimes tunnel under the rock causing collapses! It is suggested to place your bottom rock on small pieces of pvc and then fill in sand around the base.

Random Aquarist
04/13/2007, 10:55 AM
I don't plan on having burrowing fish and I plan on using adhesive to stick all the rocks together, so I don't think I'll need PVC. Any other opinions?

dcombs44
04/13/2007, 11:10 AM
I've heard it done both ways. My rock is on top of the sand, but I've also heard that you can create big nutrient pockets under the rock if it's on top of the sand. I have no proof or reasoning to that. I assume if you have critters to roam the sand bed that you'd be in fine shape. I would say do as you please, but if you put the rock on the glass make sure you have some starboard or eggcrate or pvc down to relieve the pressure of the rock on the glass.

Most people say temp between 78-80 is ideal. Go to the Drs. Foster and Smith forum in the sponsors section and ask about their suggestions on temp. They are quick to respond, and I'm sure they'll give a logical answer to the question.

Bainic
04/14/2007, 02:27 AM
I keep mine 76 - 80 degrees, 76 lights out, 80 lights on. I would put the rock on top of the sand, but if you do put rock on the bottom, I agree with dcombs, you need to put something under it to disperse the weight on the glass.