PDA

View Full Version : Starting 30 gallon reef, filtration questions

Jaroby
04/13/2007, 07:21 AM
Starting a new 30 gallon reef setup, and debating on filtration methods. I currently have in mind not to have a sump but to eventually turn the 30 gallon into a sump for a 55/75 gallon in a year or two and enjoy the benefits of a sump system at that time.
Planned Livestock:
5-6 Nassarius snails, 3 turbosnails, 4 cerith snails
a brittlestar, sea cucumber, 3-4 blue legged hermits,
spiny urchin
3-4 peppermint shrimp
golden coral banded shrimp
pistol shrimp, Eel cleaner shrimp
Yellow Watchman Goby, Wheeler Prawn Goby
Bicolor Blenny, Algae Blenny
Mandarin Goby

and one of the following possibilites:
undecided pygmy angel
Strawberry Basslet or similar psuedochromis
2-3 Banghai Cardinals or Scisscortail Goby or Firefish goby

Possible Corals:
Hammer coral, Xenia, Mushroom/sand polyp colonies, and perhaps some Gorgonians or leather corals.

The following plans for the 30 gallon setup:
30 gallon AGA (36Lx12Wx16H)
40 pounds live sand
30-50 pounds of live rock
-maxi-jet 1200 powerhead (295 gph for lengthwise current)
-maxijet 600 powerhead (235 gph for cross-current turbulence)
-----both with prefilter sponges for some mechanical filtration

I am leaning towards an Emporer 280 powerfilter (by Marineland)using dual media cartridges; one with filter floss only, the other with crushed liverock, avoiding use of the stock carbon filled filter cartridge. Question I have is will this be efficient, relying mainly on the liverock/livesand for biological filtration, powerheads for movement/aeration, and the Emp 280 mainly for some mechanical filtration with no protein skimmer?

Can i get away without the Emp 280 and rely heavily with a hang-on protein skimmer of 60-70 gallon effectiveness and the only mechanical filtration being the prefilter sponge attachments to the powerheads?

Or do i seriously need both the Emp 280 and a good protein skimmer...or am i off base totally on filtration needs? I am relying heavily on the live rock and thick bed of live sand for most filtration.

Thank you for any information you may offer. Follow up questions most likely coming about a protein skimmer of suitable uses and the acquisition of lumen output by the lighting marketed for the hobby.

Bmgrocks
04/13/2007, 07:26 AM
Just go with a really good Skimmer
If you really tryin to run carbon etc. Use a hang on Back, but it's not really Necessairy

If i were u, I'd Use an Aquaclear 70, or 100, Turn it into a fuge, filled with LR rubble, Sand, Chaeto, and Run Some Carbon

The prob. With Mechanical Filtration, is that You will have to Replace the Carterdges Frequently, at least 2X a week

The Carteridges do get expensive, and hold all the stuff your going to filter out. Further breaking down, and Releasing NitrAtes into your tank

NitrAtes and Reef Tanks are NOT good, as that You want to have the lowest amount in your tank.

Suitable SKimmers
AquaC Remoras
i use the Coralife SuperSkimmer, Takes alot of time to mod, But DOES really Well
DelTec,

Do some SKimmer Research, and get the largest you can Afford upfront

Good Luck

drummereef
04/13/2007, 09:21 AM
If you go sump-less then rely on your live rock and skimmer for filtration. Like the above said, use the hob for carbon. An Aquaclear hob filter has a lot of room so you can use a carbon with a media bag of your choice and save money on the cartridges. I have an AquaC Remora and it works fine on small tanks. Other options would be the DeltecMCE300 and Tunze DOC internal skimmer. ;)

Jaroby
04/13/2007, 11:19 AM
Thank you much! Looking at getting a Coralife Super Skimmer, as it is hang-on capable and offered in my local fish store. So considering the above livestock/liverock/live sand listing... between the skimmer, powerheads and live material in the tank i should be able to support the livestock listing with regular maintenance? And is the super Skimmer (60 gallon capacity) quality/sufficiency? I have not taken Remora advice as I have not seen it available in my area and am wanting something of quality.

ionredline0260
04/13/2007, 11:50 AM
You read lot of bad reviews for the coralife super skimmer but I picked up a used one for $35 and I get lots of dark skimate out of it daily...And last time I check that means it's working.