PDA

View Full Version : Clownfish mystery- can you help?

aquaphilic
04/12/2007, 10:34 PM
I have an Ocellaris clownfish that is about 2 years old and has been thriving.

Recently I decided it was time to get her a mate and bought another O. clownfish (tank raised) at the LFS that was about half her size.

I put the new clown in my quarantine tank where it showed no sign of external disease. It seemed quite active when I first got it, but refused to eat. It eventually became less active after (of course) and just stayed in the corner of the tank. Since the fish looked healthy, but just didn't seem "happy" in the quarantine tank I decide to put it in the main tank (after 8 days in quarantine).

I know, I know..........

Anyway, it didn't eat in the main tank either and 3 days later just disappeared without a trace???

NOW, (another 3 days later after the disappearance) my 2-year old clown is showing some of the same behaviors. She stays in the corner of the tank and looks like she would just rather stop swimming altogether. She normally never passes up the chance to eat, but is ignoring food.

I would assume shipping stress with the new fish, but am baffled by what might be happening with the established fish. I can't find any mention of a "disease" with these symptoms.

Does this sound familar to anyone? I would really like to save this fish (and my other 6 fish if it comes to that)!

Thank you so much for reading this long post.

burton14e7
04/13/2007, 01:43 AM
Could be the onset of brook. It will kill in about 3 days. Mine lasted 2 days from first noticable sympton.