PDA

View Full Version : sand sifter star

martinplayer
04/12/2007, 06:42 PM
I have a biocube29 three months old, good paramaters 30lbs live rock and 25lbs live sand.

Is it true that a sand sifting star will eat my isopods and other pods and beneficial critters in my sand???

If so, is there a reef safe star of any kind that will not eat all my live rock, corals or pods. Any of the Linkias?? Or any that will eat only algae?

greenbean36191
04/12/2007, 07:26 PM
Is it true that a sand sifting star will eat my isopods and other pods and beneficial critters in my sand???
No, it probably won't eat your "pods" but yes, they feed almost exclusively on the beneficial life in your sand, most of which you can't see.

If so, is there a reef safe star of any kind that will not eat all my live rock, corals or pods. Any of the Linkias?? Or any that will eat only algae?
In a 29 a brittle/serpent star is about the only viable option, but I wouldn't add one in such a new tank.

romunov
04/13/2007, 09:14 AM
I find asterina stars interesting.

kenoobi
04/13/2007, 12:43 PM
My sand sifter has a thing for pods and will even eat them off the glass!

I think fromia starfish are nice reef safe stars, but from what I understand they are the most difficult to keep. They are a beautiful red color though.

romunov
04/13/2007, 11:34 PM
The only star that will reproduce (and even live) in a reef tank without eating up your sand bed or corals is probably the one I mentioned.

Sea Stars — The Whys, Why Nots and Wherefores (http://web.archive.org/web/20020804172027/www.animalnetwork.com/fish2/aqfm/1998/april/wb/default.asp)
Starfish: Considerations for the common varieties (http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-06/ac/feature/index.htm)

And here's a quote I happened to find:
These are generally hardy in aquaria, right up to the day they die of starvation. -- Ron Shimek (2005) on Fromia starfishes

martinplayer
04/14/2007, 07:46 PM
Thanks for all the opinions and info. I was hoping to find one that eats fuzzy red, brown and green algae. I guess I'll get rid of the sand sifter and try something other than another star.