PDA

View Full Version : how to make a closed loop?

dmilne85
04/12/2007, 12:15 AM
i just bought a new 120 gallon reef ready tank and im thinking of putting in a closed loop and i have no idea how it should work. im thinking that the holes or inlet for the closed loop should be inside the overflow.. anyone have any experience or advice so i head in the right direction? any advice appreciated b/c im very new to this concept. oh also it will be for an sps tank and i want to have lots of flow. so recomendations on what pump/size would be good. thanks.

Abengochea
04/12/2007, 12:25 AM
as for a closed loop all it is a pump that takes water directly from inside the tank (not the overflow) and shoots it back in. if u want u can check out my build thread to get an idea http://thereeftank.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95945

dmilne85
04/12/2007, 12:38 AM
i understand the basic concept. however i just dont really know the specifics of how things should be set up. i was thinking of installing the intake for the closed loop in the over flow but not part of the over flow if you know what i mean. ill take a look at your thread. thanks.

Abengochea
04/12/2007, 12:46 AM
thats fine if u want the intake to be in the overflow, but it has to suck the water from inside the tank and now rely on the water to come back over the overflow to feed it.

silverwolf72
04/12/2007, 02:15 AM
if the plumbing is in the overflow thats fine but it needs to draw water from the actual tank due to most overflows wont be able to handle the extra flow of a closed loop and the normal overflow to the sump.