PDA

View Full Version : treating ick w/garlic extract

missionsix66
04/11/2007, 07:15 PM
I am trying to get more specific details on how to treat ick with garlic extract. I have a yellow tang and an undulate trigger that are only showing early stages of ick. They are darting and scratching. I have given one treatment by soaking my frozen trigger mix and green algae in a 1/2 oz. of water to about 5 drops of the garlic. Please help.

rayman007
04/11/2007, 09:05 PM
only mix with the meaty foods and rince before feeding with freshwater. keep it up for two weeks

TerryB
04/11/2007, 10:25 PM
Garlic isn't a proven reliable treatment for ich. I hope your fish don't have amyloodinium, because it is much tougher to save the fish. Are the fish breathing rapidly like a panting dog? Do you quarantine all fish prior to adding them to your display tank?

Terry B

cl2ysta1
04/12/2007, 10:46 AM
garlic does not kill ich. It DOES however get fish to be more interested in food, and build up the immune response. The only treatment for ich is to remove EVERY FISH from your reef tank and put into QT. The fish in QT must be in hypo for 6 weeks, and the reef tank must be fishless for 30 days.

motlot77
04/12/2007, 03:32 PM
Building up the immune system will help the fish fight off the ich on its own. Hypo isn't an absolute necessity.

Soaking live baby brine in selcon and feeding it to your tank has helped several people with ich problems. (I'm sure it wouldn't hurt to add some garlic too.)

OasisTF
04/12/2007, 11:37 PM
http://www.marineaquariumadvice.com/Saltwater-Ich-and-Garlic.htm

just my 2 pennies