PDA

View Full Version : Euro Reef CS6-3 on 46 gal?

ordy1
04/11/2007, 02:57 PM
I just purchased a Euro Reef CS6-3 skimmer for my 46 gallon tank.

Some folks say that overskimming is not bad other's say "don't do it!". I was told to buy the biggest skimmer I could afford. What do you think? Is this too big for my setup? (46 gal. reef, 80 lbs. live rock, 20 gal. long sump/Fuge, Little Giant 4md-SC return pump.)

Is anyone familiar with this particular skimmer? Any tips?

Thanks

Ordy

hansmatt
04/11/2007, 03:16 PM
I have one a bit smaller (5-3) on a 90 and am pleased with it. Most people I've read of recommend to err on the side of too big. My xenia didn't like the upgraded skimmer as well as the "dirty" water, but everything else is doing great.

ordy1
04/11/2007, 08:30 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9700914#post9700914 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by hansmatt
I have one a bit smaller (5-3) on a 90 and am pleased with it. Most people I've read of recommend to err on the side of too big. My xenia didn't like the upgraded skimmer as well as the "dirty" water, but everything else is doing great.

I've heard the same thing too. One of the reasons I purchased this skimmer was because of all the threads that say err on the side of too large. I was reading some threads on WWM and they suggested to size the skimmer according to the size of your tank and I began to have buyers remorse; thinking I screwed up and jumped the gun.

I've heard of overskimming and I imagine I'll probably have to supplement trace elements anyway with any skimmer so I'll try and not worry about that.

It saids in the manual to maintain a water level of 6" to 8". What has your experience been? I'll probably have to elevate the skimmer as the bubble trap, in my sump, is 10" high.

Thanks for the help.

Ordy