PDA

View Full Version : Can someone advise me what to do with this light please? I don't want to start a fire

New2Reefing
04/09/2007, 01:58 PM
Hello, recently my entire fishtank burnt to the ground, getting me sued for $2000 in addition to the $3ooo worth of damage in equipment, and getting evicted forcing me to settle a security contract that i no longer benefit from for another wasted $950. Bottom line, i need some $$$ to pay for this atrocity, and one thing that remains from the tank is this light. However, my bad luck prevails, and while a friend was transporting it he managed to leave it out in a rainstorm and let it fill up with water. My question is, what do i need to do to repair this? It appears to be in good condition, and i've let it dry out, but there are a few problems with rust and corrosion as seen in the pic. This light was bought new from a LFS for $700, and now i'm wondering should I :

A) Throw it away
B) Use as is
C) Fix it

Any suggestions? I'm very upset and desperate at this point, and if anyone can brighten my day i'd appreciate it, thanks alot!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v224/Reefer420/DSC00532.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v224/Reefer420/DSC00534.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v224/Reefer420/DSC00533.jpg

raddogz
04/09/2007, 03:24 PM
If it were me - I would consider saving the bulbs, and trash the rest or simply rebuild it by gutting all the electronics and do a re-do wiring/ballast all of it.

On the other hand since you've had a ridiculous amount of bad luck - the seven hundred dollars may cost you another ten thousand plus if it causes a fire down the road.

db_triggerfish
04/09/2007, 04:00 PM
sorry to hear that, saltwater fishtank fires scare me alot.
How did it start?

db_triggerfish
04/10/2007, 12:34 AM
bump

Shaun120
04/11/2007, 11:01 AM
Save the reflectors and housing. The electronic ballasts are probably trashed but they can be replaced. Rewire everything. The LEDs, if they work will be fine to re-use also. Aparently the fixture was not the cause of the fire since all the wireing appears not to be scorched.

Test everything after you get some new ballasts.

Sorry for your misfortune! That totally stinks!

RichConley
04/11/2007, 11:13 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9698954#post9698954 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Shaun120
Save the reflectors and housing. The electronic ballasts are probably trashed but they can be replaced. Rewire everything. The LEDs, if they work will be fine to re-use also. Aparently the fixture was not the cause of the fire since all the wireing appears not to be scorched.

Test everything after you get some new ballasts.

Sorry for your misfortune! That totally stinks!

Electronic ballasts are typically totally sealed. I'd be alot more worried if they were magnetic.

New2Reefing
05/05/2007, 12:13 PM
Unfortunately, the damage the fire caused and other monetary issues with getting evicted have taken me out of the saltwater game indefinately. The fire was started probably due to salt getting on a plug and then getting put in the outlet (clean your plugs guys!).

Anyway, i'm trying to come up with money to pay for the damage lawsuit, I was just wondering if any parts would be worth salvaging and selling, or if i should just sigh and put the thing on the street....thanks again guys, let me know.

Shaun120
05/05/2007, 12:58 PM
If your going to sell anything, sell it complete as is. Let the buyer make the decisions on what to reuse. You are more likely to get more for the light fixture whole then parting it out.

Again, sorry for your bad situation...Good luck!

KyleO
05/05/2007, 01:26 PM
I hate to disagree with everybody but I have been working with electronics for years and I would take a long look at this unit (and test it) before I tossed anything. We are talking solid state components which means just about everything internally is sealed.

That aside, the first thing you want to do is perform a (very) close inspection. Everything needs to be dry. I mean 2 weeks past the point you think it is dry; couldn't get any drier if it was sitting in the desert, dry. Then, you take apart just about everything you can take a apart and perform a (remove the rust and corrosion) cleaning with a stiff-bristled brush (wire is better). It is probably a good idea to have a very light coat of oil on the brush to help (very light).

Take of bulbs, housing, connections........everything, and clean it up.

Then test it for a long period of time in a place where if it does catch, it will not damage anything...........garage, patio, 55ga steel drum. You need to make sure. It will either work or not, catch fire or not.

I know a lot of people will sneer at this but you would be surprised how much rust and corrosion are on most units out there and the pics I saw of your unit does not look that bad.

I hope I brought a little light into your terrible situation.....

syrinx
05/05/2007, 03:48 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9883249#post9883249 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by KyleO
I hate to disagree with everybody but I have been working with electronics for years and I would take a long look at this unit (and test it) before I tossed anything. We are talking solid state components which means just about everything internally is sealed.

That aside, the first thing you want to do is perform a (very) close inspection. Everything needs to be dry. I mean 2 weeks past the point you think it is dry; couldn't get any drier if it was sitting in the desert, dry. Then, you take apart just about everything you can take a apart and perform a (remove the rust and corrosion) cleaning with a stiff-bristled brush (wire is better). It is probably a good idea to have a very light coat of oil on the brush to help (very light).

Take of bulbs, housing, connections........everything, and clean it up.

Then test it for a long period of time in a place where if it does catch, it will not damage anything...........garage, patio, 55ga steel drum. You need to make sure. It will either work or not, catch fire or not.

I know a lot of people will sneer at this but you would be surprised how much rust and corrosion are on most units out there and the pics I saw of your unit does not look that bad.

I hope I brought a little light into your terrible situation.....

Agreed use a hair dryer to dry everything out and clean all the contacts etc exactly as directed above. Solid state stuff is tough- but I have even restored old tube amplifiers that had seen flood damage. I would also get some people on your side to inspect before paying any claims- A properly boxed outlet should not start a fire from anything on the plug. I would wonder seriously about the electrical integrity of the apartment.

reefkrazy
05/05/2007, 05:45 PM
just use some contact cleaner on the rust spots. don't throw anything away unless you throw it in my car....
:)

Daemonfly
05/05/2007, 11:15 PM
Dremel (or equivalent) & some polishing attachments & polishing compound? Should work well on the smaller components & tighter spaces.