PDA

View Full Version : Glasscages? Anyone own them?

jobob
04/09/2007, 12:46 PM
So heres the deal, Im upgrading my 55gal to a 120gal. So Im looking for a tank, and I can get an AGA RR with stand from LFS or I could get the tank and stand from Glasscages with a starphire front panel for about $50 more and I have to drive an hour to pick it up. So my question is how are their tanks, and does anyone own one with starphire? Is there a big difference between one with starphire and one without. which would you guys get? And if you own a glasscages tank would buy from them again? Sorry for all the questions. Thanks for your help.

Julio
04/09/2007, 12:56 PM
i dont own one, but i did see a post recently in which they had a lot of problems with Glass cages.

bureau13
04/09/2007, 01:25 PM
They made my sump and a top-off reservoir for me. They work, but at least in my case (these were acrylic by the way) I would say not display quality. Also, after sale service...not so great. I made a mistake in one of my specifications, so I wanted to ask them their opinions on how I was going to fix it, but they never bothered to respond. That ****es me off, but I got two custom tanks for relatively little money....so in the end it was a successful transaction for me.

jds

Dwarf Seahorses
04/09/2007, 01:29 PM
I tried glasscages.com for a freshwater tank, I will never buy from them again. Bad customer service, sloppy silicone work, and overall a very poor company to deal with. I could have made a DIY tank and it would have looked nicer than the one they built.

Although they are under new owners now, so all that might change.

jobob
04/09/2007, 08:38 PM
Wow thanks for the responses, so it seems like everyone is a little disapointed with them. I went down to a LFS about an hour from me and was looking at the oceanic Tech tanks which has starphire glass. But the tank itself is $800 which is what I hoped to pay for both. Then the stand is $530, but I guess I can either make or just buy an AGA stand. So do you guys think the starphire glass is worth it?

carpediem360
04/09/2007, 09:03 PM
I was looking for a 120 rr tank a while back. I talked to some of the local reefers in my area and they talked me into drilling it instead. I'm so glad I listen to them I have so much more room in the tank. I just have two elbows sticking out at the top rather than a big long black overflow. I know people who have gone through glass cages without a hitch. I was thinking about it myself until a good deal came my way that I couldn't pass up.

Ironsheikh
04/09/2007, 09:33 PM
basically your saving money w/ glass cages...the tanks will work (obviously or theyd be out of business) VS Quality from a name brand company, tank is ugly, sloppy silicone, bad customer service, you have to drive to pick it up AND still pay to pick it up

up to you.... I was looking at them at first just because Im broke, but Id rather save up for an acrylic tank off the companies on ebay basically you can get a 180g reef ready to your door for $1000 or a 242 for like $1200 ....now affording a stand and finding a floor to hold it are my next problems

Im not messing w/ glass cages...thats like putting no name tires on a ferrari

usually the people that are happy w/ them have both stand and canopy covering everything so you dont see the wrkmanship anyway

jobob
04/09/2007, 11:45 PM
Yea Im going to be looking at it all the time, and I have a little OCD problem and messy silicone would bother the hell out of me. I think Im going either AGA or Tech tank. Not sure yet? Any suggestions? What about perfecto?

Iammatt219
04/09/2007, 11:51 PM
just a little warning the quality of oceanic has deminished significantly since AGA bought them. and then further drops of quality have beenreported since AGA was sold and the Oceanic factory was moved.

stogie
04/10/2007, 12:43 AM
I have a 120 RR from Glass cages. So far so good. the only thing I didnt like was the plastic trim around the top and bottom, it is not a molded piece and has worked its way loose. No big deal for me because I have an in-wall. I will say that my tank is built with thicker glass than I see on All-glass tanks. This sucker was really heavy. I have had it for over a year now with no problems. If you are not really picky and get one of their standard sizes I really dont think you will have problems. I have seen plenty of threads with people miffed about dealing with them.

good luck

omeN74
04/10/2007, 10:21 PM
Just ordered a 60"x18"x25" (approx. 116 gallon) glass tank for a reef that is being built into the wall. Also ordered a custom designed sump. Overall, my experience with them has been good. After several phone calls because I had questions, I was able to complete my order. The only bad experience I had was during one phone call, one particular lady went off on me for trying to "design some futuristic space age tank." And all I was trying to tell her was that I only wanted one hole drilled behind the overflow, and not the standard two holes since my return was going to be in a different area of the tank. I pick up the tanks in a month, hope all is well.

1-9-06
04/10/2007, 10:53 PM
I'VE GOT A 150 FROM GLASS CAGES AND I JUST CHIMED IN TO AGREE WITH ALL THESE GUYS. MINES IN-WALL,THE TRIM POOR QUALITY FOR DISPLAY,A BIT EXCESSIVE ON THE CAULKING,MY OVERFLOW IS 1/2" GLASS W/ NO STRAINER AT THE TOP...POTENTIAL ALGAE BUILDUP INSIDE O.F. IT WITH NO EASY CLEAN UP, I LIVE IN PHOENIX AND THEY DECIDE TO HIT A SMALL TOWN IN NORTHERN AZ 3 HOURS DRIVING THROUGH SOLID MOUNTAINS AND STILL HAD TO PAY THEIR GAS BILL FOR THE DAY. ADD $200 TO THE TANK FOR DELIVERY AND OVERFLOWS AND DONT YOU DARE ASK FOR ANYTHING ELSE...I'D RATHER HAVE BUILT A WOODEN TANK AND GONE BIGGER...YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR WITH THESE GUYS!

jobob
04/11/2007, 01:50 AM
So it seems everyone is just ok with their tanks? i know you get what you pay for in this hobby, but if Im spending $800 for a tank and stand I might as well spend the extra money and get a Oceanic tech tank. But, I have heard some bad things about the quality of their tanks since the buy out. Im not sure about the new tech line though. Anyone own one?