PDA

View Full Version : Any idea how many Asterina Stars a pair of Harlequin Shrimp would eat in a month?

JIM260
04/08/2007, 08:50 PM
Within my 5 tank, 600 gallon system I have hundreds of these little guys. I would like to put a pair of Harlequins into a species tank and feed them off a self supporting supply of Asterina.

psimitry
04/08/2007, 09:17 PM
They would eat a LOT. From what I understand, there's not a whole lot of nutrition in asterina stars. You might be able to get away with one, but I'd doubt two.

You might just consider feeding live starfish as food. From what I understand, if you put like 3-4 good size reef safe starfish in the tank, they're apparently pretty good at policing themselves not to overeat the starfish (so like apparently, they'll eat off one arm on one, then move on to the next). This is purely speculation though - I've never seen it myself.

Harlequins are intensely beautiful shrimp though, so if you can find a way to sustain one, I'd say go for it.

SDguy
04/08/2007, 09:31 PM
Well, my harlequins can devour a 4+" CC star in about 3-4 weeks. Imagine how many asterina stars it takes to make up the biomass of one 4" CC star!

JIM260
04/09/2007, 11:49 AM
SDguy- is CC =chocolate chip star? Where and what price do you get your supply?

I have read CC are very hard to keep. DO you ever have issues with them dying before they can be consumed?

psimitry
04/13/2007, 04:25 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9682543#post9682543 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by JIM260
I have read CC are very hard to keep. DO you ever have issues with them dying before they can be consumed?

The major problem I see with them is that they aren't reef safe. I don't know if you're planning on keeping them in a reef tank...

JIM260
04/13/2007, 05:25 AM
no, the HQ shrimp and subsequently CC will go in the 30 seahorse tank

psimitry
04/13/2007, 06:01 AM
That'd work. Long as you're not going into a reef tank.

Matter of fact, that sounds like a REALLY good idea. I've been REALLY wanting to keep a harlequin shrimp but don't really have a lot of interest in a FOWLR tank at the moment. But if I could get a seahorse tank going that might be feasible.

JIM260
04/13/2007, 06:09 AM
Since HQ's are obligate echinoderm feeders I dont know why it wouldnt work... Only possible challenge would be water quality with horses (high waste animals) and possible dead stars. Its not for me as my horse 30 gal is plummed into 600 gallons. I keep a pair of Bangaii cardinals and a banded pipe in this tank aslo. Bangaiis are perfect horse companions. Very slow feeding peaceful fish that dont do well in my big reef tank.

john eichwedel
04/13/2007, 07:40 AM
Iv'e got two in a 180 mixed reef with no problems.I feed them a chocolate chip once monthly.When they're hungry,it's cool to see them hunt down the asterinas and pick them off the glass.Never had a problem with them hassling any corals or other tankmates.John

JIM260
04/13/2007, 07:45 AM
John- where do you get your feeder stars and how much do they cost? Do you ever see your guys eat brittles (micro and medium sized ones)? Thanks for the input- Jim

john eichwedel
04/13/2007, 08:23 AM
Get 'em at the local LFS.5-6 bucks a pop.Never bother brittles,and the cc stars are not a reef safe issue since they grab the star as soon as I put them in,flip 'em upside down,drag 'em to the cave and have their way with them.Fascinating creatures and gorgeous too boot.John

JIM260
04/13/2007, 08:55 AM
john- thanks again for the great input. How long have u had your HQ's for and what is a realistic life expectancy?

side note: my horse tank has way TOO many little brittles so I was hoping to naturally thin them a little. They are cool and they dont bother the horses. They just immedialtly jump on any mysis that hits the cheato or sand so horses dont have alot of browse time.

Kigs
04/13/2007, 09:27 AM
they live for a long time if you can keep up w/ the feeding. only question i have about these guys are their eating habits. if you have multiple HQ shrimps, would they share a star? from my last experience, i had two HQ from two different regions...and they never shared food, thus resulting in me chopping off the legs of a CC and feeding them seperately, instead of throwing a whole CC into the tank... do you guys think this resulted simply out of the fact that they were from different regions?

Creade
04/13/2007, 10:01 AM
John, so your saying that your Shrimp actually take the starfish to their cave right away and eat the entire thing?

How large of a starfish are you feeding? I have never seen such behavior.

useskaforevil
04/13/2007, 10:43 AM
i went yesterday to special order a pair of Harliquin shrimp and the guy todl me that sometimes they won't eat the asternia shrimp. i was planning on feedign CC anways but hs anyone else had this experience?

jacksandgo
04/14/2007, 02:00 AM
Back to the original question of how many asterinas they might eat in a month. I had a nutrient (from neglect) problem and had probably 300+ minimum asterina stars in one of my 75 gallon tanks with 125lbs of live rock.

It took two Harlequin Shrimp about two months to wipe out almost all of them. I took them back to the store about 3 days ago when I noticed I didn't see any more stars on the glass or on the rock, and the Harlequins were foraging during the day in the light. Though I have seen a few since, so I guess they had a couple dozen or so stars left at least. I'm just removing them by hand or siphoning them out now.

JIM260
04/14/2007, 10:36 AM
jack- thanks. bought one from Tropicorium yesterday along with a CCstar. Dick Perrin uses them to rid their 2,000 gallon coral grow out vats of Asterinas. I will plan on one cc a month supplimented with the asterinas. Now i just need to find a male as mine is a female. Ray at Tropicorium says he hasnt seen a male in a year.

SDguy
04/14/2007, 11:04 AM
Anyone who as ever kept harlequins and fed them CC stars will know that the CC being not reef safe is a non issue, since AFAIK, CC stars can't eat anything while on their backs :D

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p5/SDreefguy/Harlequins.jpg

The star actually stays alive the entire time it is being eaten. Even if just one arm remains, it stays intact...no rotting, no disintegrating.

As for sexing the shrimp, here what I did:
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=944618&highlight=harlequin+shrimp

hth

john eichwedel
04/14/2007, 03:42 PM
Had them both for over a year now.Yeah,they flip 'em,drag'em and eat'em.Once they're on their backs,pretty much reef safe.Once done with the CC's,they actively hunt asterinas.OT-bought a sea hare yesterday,like a friggin lawnmower!When hes done,we'll pass him around.John

Creade
04/14/2007, 04:01 PM
I thought you meant they dragged them to the cave and ate the CC all in one sitting lol.

john eichwedel
04/14/2007, 04:20 PM
Nah,it takes 'em a few weeks to totally eat one.Not a bit left though.LMK how it goes.Going crappie and Morel hunting in the AM.I love this time of year!John_BTW-Crappies and Shrooms take two different trips.Its hard to catch mushrooms in a boat!

Creade
04/14/2007, 04:49 PM
Mmm Morels, send some across the border to me if you end up with too many!!

john eichwedel
04/14/2007, 06:15 PM
Will trade shrooms for frags!!!Wanna get a list going?Better yet,a mushroom hunting,reeftank veiwing get together event.Mushrooms will be ready in about two weeks if it gets warm.I'll have to blindfold ya,but I'll guarantee shroomage.Bring a fishing pole for afterwards.

bohannbj
05/03/2007, 05:23 PM
I was reading and noticed you guys were spending a fortune on stars. I kept an adult pair for a while before I moved (RIP) and noticed CC are worthless. If you get the common FL stars, brown with red and yellow, they last about a month. I think CC just don't have the nutrients.
Brent

bpulmano
05/03/2007, 06:13 PM
Are asterina stars harmful?? I found a rather large one the other day that I had never seen before.. What is the real deal with them?

Creade
05/03/2007, 06:27 PM
Sorry John, I had to run out of town for a few weeks. Never saw your message about Shrooms.

Man, I would love to, but Life is unfortunately, psychotically busy at the moment!