PDA

View Full Version : Steve Hess the new SEAS President

John Kelly
04/07/2007, 11:06 PM
I am proud to announce that Steve Hess has been elected as the new SEAS President. Congratulations Steve!

As many of you know, Steve is a charter member who has been with the group since its beginning in March of 2004. From that time, his support and participation in the club has been exceptional and he has always been happy to share his ideas and experiences with others. When Anthony Martinez, the founder of The SEAS, first established the guidelines for our group, he had a vision of a club where like-minded people would gather together and share their knowledge and experience of the saltwater hobby with each other. With Steve as our president, this tradition will be carried on as he leads our club toward new ideas and adventures.

Some of the past activities and journeys we have had over the last several years include:
- A presentation on "Growing your own Phytoplankton".
- Viewed highlights from the Marine Aquarium Conference of North America (MACNA).
- Held several summer BBQ events complete with big screen TV and full-sized arcade games. (thx LargeJohn!)
- The Annual SEAS Christmas Party’s and Gift Exchanges.
- Went on a road trip to Exotic Tropicals in Rogers Arkansas to meet with the Razorback Reef club.
- Held an Acrylic Workshop on how to build your own sump.
- Held several SEAS Reef Food Workshops.
- Went on a road trip to Arkansas for a SEAS livestock and dry goods Swap Meet.
- Held an enormous SEAS Fund Raiser Yard Sale.
- Had a Refractometer demonstration and compared our specific gravity.
- Viewed photos from a member’s dive trip at Bonaire.
- Went on a road trip to Exotic Tropicals in Rogers Arkansas to hang out with Anthony Calfo for the day.
- Held several SEAS Live Rock Workshops
- Held several SEAS Frag Swaps.
- Went on a behind-the-scenes tour at the Wonders of Wildlife Museum.
Plus, had many raffles, door prizes, and drawings; including hundreds of dollars in gift certificates to Exotic Tropicals donated to the club by the owner (James Tucker).
*And most importantly, gained many new friends, viewed their tanks, and learned from their experiences in the saltwater hobby.

Looking back in retrospect, there are a lot of good memories. We have had tons of fun!
And the fun will continue……looking toward the future:

- In June, we will be meeting at Fewells Aquatics and Exotics for another Frag Swap. We have had several of these so far this year and they turned out very well. Hopefully, some good inspiration is being spread from these events.

To help Steve get settled into his position as President, Julia and I will offer to host a Live Rock Workshop at our home in July. The food, drink, and materials will be provided so you can come and create your own rocks to use either as frag rocks, base rock, or decorative pieces.

For the month of May, and the following months after July, I’m sure Steve could use some volunteers to help host meetings. In the past, we have held the majority of our monthly meetings at member's homes. This has always been a great way to share our hobby with each other and gain inspiration from each other. You don't even need an established "reef" to participate, so don't be shy; we can always have a "Stocking" party :). As far as other future events are concerned, Steve has been churning up some good ideas to implement while he is president, so you can bet that there are some fun things waiting on the horizon for us!

It has been a pleasure and an excellent experience serving as The SEAS President.
Thank you,
John Kelly

SoupySteve
04/08/2007, 07:58 AM
... so when do I get privelages to drive "Reef Force 1"?

By that, I meant your car... I thought that was one of the perks of the presidency... :bum:

Thanks for the exceptionally well-written announcement, John!

Deadeye
04/08/2007, 08:12 AM
Congratulations Steve.

I'd be willing to have people over for a BBQ at my new duplex one of these times, I got a big screen and wii. Oh, but I don't have a grill yet so..

But everyone gets patted down when they walk in and out. :) j/k

hambandit
04/08/2007, 09:46 AM
dude ive got a grill i could bring

SoupySteve
04/08/2007, 10:57 AM
Deadeye - The wiis look neat - I can't wait until they make a non-partisan political game where you can upload images of your least favorite government official(s) and then beat them with wiffle-ball bats...

Grill season is fast approaching (although I used mine when we had no power back in FEB :bum: ). I'll post a calendar/schedule thingy that we can take volunteers for to host some monthly SEAS events.

Man, even a hotdog tastes like it's from a different mixture of animal parts ENTIRELY when it's been prepared on a grill.

Red Sea Purple Tang
04/08/2007, 11:29 AM
SOUP!

triggerjay
04/08/2007, 01:01 PM
Congrats Steve. I can't wait to become a member and join in the fun.

Jason

inlandreef
04/09/2007, 11:54 AM
Congrats Steve!

SoupySteve
04/09/2007, 04:07 PM
Thanks for the encouraging words (or word in Anthony's case :bum: ). If anyone has any suggestions for our meetings or new/different directions for the club to pursue, please remember that once you're "official" and your dues have been paid, this club is as much yours as it is any other member's - and shoot me a PM or make a post!

triggerjay
04/09/2007, 04:40 PM
ok, heres a suggestion.... find someone for me to give my money to for membership.. lol.. If the club is gonna get rollin, lets get it rollin... Sorry, dont mean to sound impatient... Been trying to send dues to someone?? for about a month...

Jason

SoupySteve
04/09/2007, 05:24 PM
Please sound as impatient as you'd like - I'd call it enthusiastic, myself...
I THINK the Kellys are still the treasurers - I'll PM John and find out. From when the club was rockin' I recall that the dues were $20 for a year...

Medicine Man
04/10/2007, 09:37 PM
Congrats Steve!!!!!

Steph11787
04/11/2007, 09:55 AM
Why charge dues? The club is not very large. If you say the dues are to pay for "activities", why not just have people pay when you go to the "activities" instead of charging 20 a year for it.

John Kelly
04/11/2007, 10:24 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9698491#post9698491 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Steph11787
Why charge dues? The club is not very large. If you say the dues are to pay for "activities", why not just have people pay when you go to the "activities" instead of charging 20 a year for it.
Dues are $20 per household, not per person.

Where do you think we get the money from to buy supplies for our workshops?
Food at many of the meetings? (Remember the 3 or 4 large pizzas, chips, drinks at the frag swap last December?)
Door Prizes at certain meetings?
Gift certificates for drawings?
Tour at the WOW?
Office supplies? (member cards, name tags at meetings, etc...)
Web site hosting? (which we don't really use, but it is there for our use)

The money is not only used for "members", but for non-members too who want to participate...who later decide to become members. Anyone is welcome to our meetings and can perpetually come to meetings and never pay dues, but there are things that they won't be able to participate in (drawings, voting, etc.)

I think anyone who has chipped in $20 to the club would say it was worth it.

joelk835
04/11/2007, 11:37 AM
Congrats Steve.

triggerjay
04/11/2007, 06:24 PM
I noticed the website has not been updated since 2005,... I am willing to do all the site stuff if a person is needed to do so. I have designed, and run my own site, http://www.exoticbirds.us . I would like to do everything I can involving the club.

Jason

Grunt
04/11/2007, 11:39 PM
I still need to join. ^-^ My wife and I will probably be at the frag meet. :D
Cheers

Deadeye
04/12/2007, 12:25 AM
No, I don't remember the 3 or 4 large pizzas and stuff last December because we didn't attend. But, I certainly remember providing drinks for everyone at the last frag swap, when Patrick and I are not even members. In fact, most of the stuff was provided by non-"seas" members.

Steph11787
04/12/2007, 12:33 AM
I POSTED THE ABOVE STATEMENT!!!

John Kelly
04/12/2007, 02:21 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9705105#post9705105 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Deadeye
No, I don't remember the 3 or 4 large pizzas and stuff last December because we didn't attend.
You missed out :(.

But, I certainly remember providing drinks for everyone at the last frag swap, when Patrick and I are not even members. In fact, most of the stuff was provided by non-"seas" members.
We have had many meetings where the host bought the main meal and the other members/non-members brought sides and drinks for everyone. That's been pretty standard. If you and patrick didn't offer to bring the drinks, the "SEAS" would have brought them. If Matt didn't offer to provide hot dogs, the "SEAS" would have provided them. Whoever brought the Chips Ahoy, thank you, they were good :D. Julia and I brought a 2 liter of soda and a bag of sun chips. Both members and non-members each brought frags.

If you have no dues paying members, then how is it decided which persons belong to "The SEAS"? I think the word "activities" that you previously mentioned should be thought of as doing things like:
If The SEAS decides to buy materials for a MJ Mod Workshop, then we The SEAS members would have a drawing for it after it was made.
If The SEAS decides to buy a coral or two, then we The SEAS members would split it up between us.
If The SEAS decides to buy a refractometer, then we The SEAS members would have it available to use between us.
If The SEAS decides to build a library of information (books, videos), then we The SEAS members would have it for reference.

Generally, "activities" doesn't imply that if the members went bowling, The SEAS would pay for it. Since it doesn't have anything to do with being a Saltwater Enthusiast it would probably not be the best way to spend The SEAS money.

fewells
04/12/2007, 07:38 AM
Steph
1. If you don't have anything constructive to say don't say anything at all. We ALL would appreciate it. You are turning into a troll.

2. The last 2 fragswaps were very much SEAS fragswaps. I hosted the swaps and turned control of the space to the kellys. I provided hotdogs and I asked you to provide soda because I knew that there would be many non-members. If you do not want to do it again DON'T. I am trying to get this club to grow so we can have more local people to gather info from. Without local support from other reefers some people may just give it up and I believe that none of us want to see that.

3. If you do not want to pay dues DO NOT JOIN. There is no need to complain about it. It is the way the club is and that is that. I am not a member but there are other reasons that I do not join. 20 per year is not bad for an ACTIVE club. I think with Steve Hess taking over the club will be getting back on track.
Like John Kelly said you may come to meetings and suck you just will not have any say on what goes on with the inner workings of the club (if I have that right?)

4. CONGRATS Steve Hess. I would like to talk with you about how you would like to use the space for the next swap.

Sorry for the rambling and sorry the thread got hijacked by this stupid stuff.

Deadeye
04/12/2007, 02:23 PM
I think the question if not a suggestion was constructive, just maybe not stated as should be. To me it just seems $20 a year per person is not enough money to have a lot of activities for an entire year, and having people pay at the activity I think would help out. Say one activity would cost $20 per person, then there would be no more money for the rest of the year? I had no problem bringing the soda. Maybe each member should take turns bringing certain items in the future?

Deadeye
04/12/2007, 03:33 PM
Other suggestions I have in my head that I must suggest:

1.Set up a SEAS paypal account to accept dues and donations?

2. Improve on the website and create a SEAS forum (I suggest vbulletein over phpBB)

3. Set-up a mentoring program for new reefers

I had a lot more, but I forgot most of them. I'll post as I remember.

Change the logo!!

Deadeye
04/12/2007, 03:37 PM
Oh, publish a newsletter or at least set-up a group e-mail list to mail out once a month or so, to discuss activities and what is going on.

These are just suggestions, I am hoping to get everyone else posting there suggestions too.

John Kelly
04/12/2007, 04:42 PM
Many of those things you propose need to be discussed at meetings. We have a group email list that we use to notify people of meetings and such.

Talk of changing the logo is blasphemy! :)

pm sent.

Deadeye
04/12/2007, 05:31 PM
Thanks for the PM. If some people took offense to Stephs above statement you shouldn't have. She was not trying to be rude or talk against the club. She was merely stating a suggestion in the first post and a fact in the second post about how one of the past events functioned. John kelly cleared everything up and explained everything that needed to be explained about it.

John Kelly has helped both of us out in the past (me and steph) with a live rock trade and a visit to the house with some helpful suggestions. The reason I post this is becuase I believe some people or someone took it the wrong way and overreacted too it.

If you see from my above post I am wanting to have SEAS members over some time, so me nor Stephanie have anything against the club, I wish to seek a lot of involvment in the club. But if you guys come over there will be no beer, sorry I don't drink :D

triggerjay
04/13/2007, 02:24 AM
How many forum members does it take to change a light bulb?

1 to change the light bulb and to post that the light bulb has been changed

14 to share similar experiences of changing light bulbs and how the light
bulb could have been changed differently

7 to caution about the dangers of changing light bulbs

6 to argue over whether it's "lightbulb" or "light bulb" ...

another 6 to condemn those 6 as stupid

2 industry professionals to inform the group that the proper term is "lamp"

15 know-it-alls who claim they were in the industry, and that "light bulb"
is perfectly correct

19 to post that this forum is not about light bulbs and to please take this
discussion to a light bulb forum

11 to defend the posting to this forum saying that we all use light bulbs
and therefore the posts are relevant to this forum

36 to debate which method of changing light bulbs is superior, where to buy
the best light bulbs, what brand of light bulbs work best for this technique
and what brands are faulty

1 to hijack the thread and get an argument started about how the new
screw-in fluorescents will save money.

5 People to post pics of their own light bulbs

15 People to post "I can't see S$%^!" and their own light bulbs

8 people complaining, "I can't get my light bulb avatar to show up!"

7 to post URL's where one can see examples of different light bulbs

4 to post that the URL's were posted incorrectly and then post the corrected
URL's

13 to link all posts to date, quote them in their entirety including all
headers and signatures, and add "Me too"

5 to post to the group that they will no longer post because they cannot
handle the light bulb controversy

4 to say "didn't we go through this already a short time ago?"

13 to say "do a search on light bulbs before posting questions about light
bulbs"

1 to bring politics into the discussion by adding that George W. isn't the
brightest bulb.

4 more to get into personal attacks over their political views.

1 moderator to lock the light bulb thread.

1 forum lurker to respond to the original post 6 months from now and start
it all over again.

Sorry, I had this E-mailed to me, and it fits what this thread turned into to a tee.....I had to do it.

Jason

John Kelly
04/13/2007, 10:40 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9714228#post9714228 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by triggerjay
How many forum members does it take to change a light bulb?

1 to change the light bulb and to post that the light bulb has been changed

Jason
I agreed with the first statement and skipped to the end. http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/35043screwy.gif

:spin2:

Deadeye
04/13/2007, 10:49 AM
Speaking of lightbulbs, I'm thinking of replacing all the bulbs in the new duplex with those coil bulbs to save energy, has anyone done this? Does it save a lot of money on the electric bill?

SoupySteve
04/13/2007, 11:29 AM
I have done this with all the bulbs in our home - I haven't seen any changes in our bills - I haven't had to change a bulb in over a year though!

Shaun120
04/30/2007, 03:50 PM
I would like to comment on the current status of the SEAS club.

Travis and I joined at the same time (who knows when) when Anthony was running the thing. Believe me when we first went to a few meetings we were prepared for a total Geek Fest and we were not disappointed! (just kidding).

What we found were a group of normal peeps who really were into Reefs and helping each other. I remember a few memorable meetings down at Ken (Kayo) and his wife’s house in Arkansas when we had discussions on feeding and fish/coral nutrition. We all knocked back a few (again thanks Ken) and really had a great time.

We have also had a few meetings at Cathy and Larry’s house and as always, a pleasant and enjoyable time was had by all. Guess what we even helped him move a tank into his house. Though I felt it was a sneaky way at getting it done, lol. At no point did anyone ever get elitist or start touting "I know better/more than anyone else". Not one soul whined about helping move that big-ole-tank but it got done quickly with everyone pitchin’ in. Heck he just fed us and let us mess up his and his wife’s house, it was the least we could do.

We had members go the MACNA and then come back with pictures of their trip and what they had learned from some of the seminars they went to and shared them with the group. I appreciated all the info they provided to us not fortunate to go to MACNA.

Tim (hockey buddy of Travis and I) had a great BBQ event meeting at his house and he introduced us to his buddy Keg-er-ator (nice guy). We all again had a great time and enjoyed seeing how each of the different members where being successful in their own way.

I got Lindon, a buddy of mine from work, to join the club too because of the experiences Travis and I had. He also enjoyed going to the meetings, being he was just starting out.

Travis and Lindon are some of the cheapest, penny pinching dudes I know, but they paid their dues for the club and didn’t think twice about it. When we had attended meetings prior to joining SEAS we didn’t start a tab on what we had brought to the meeting nor did the members look on us as moochers who had not joined.

There was also a resounding mutual feeling that though we all did it differently we all had something to valuable to add in regards to Reefing. At no point were there any negative or condescending comments expressed by any of the members…until now.

I’m not going to mention any names but I can mention my own recent experience. I just purchased a 225 and I was able to get people to help me move it without a problem. I planned ahead, had the entire move planed out with the proper equipment to get the job done. At no point did I think the club owed me anything, nor were bound by the “Law of Reefing” that you must help fellow reefers to move tanks. What I do know is if I had placed such a request there are members of our group that would be happy to help.

Basically what I am trying to say, with too many words, is that this club is a sad shadow of its prior glory. Whose fault is it…well I know I am partly to blame in letting the kind of attitude take hold, that is evident in several of the threads associated with SEAS on RC. I probably have not contributed as much as I should have. I wanted to have a get together at my place but my old place was too small. I recently (1 year ago) bought a house which is older and is in the process of being updated. I would not hesitate to have peeps over except my new place is...well right now kinda dump due to projects and the Ice Storm of 2007. In the future I would like to host a meeting to give back to the people who have opened their homes to me and my wife and friends.

I have really tried not to make negative comments but I'm sure some of mine have probably hacked someone off. If you're just going to get on the SEAS threads and gripe and complain, then we don’t need it. If you’re going to be condescending and negative in your interactions associated with the SEAS then, personally I don’t want you apart of the SEAS. If “I’m cool and you suck” is going to be the underground mission statement of our club then I don’t want to be apart of it. What I have learned (first hand) in life is, as soon as you think you know it all, you find out you’re a moron!

The only issue I have with the club is that Travis wins about everything that is raffled off, and that I am really jealous of every one else’s tank.

The SEAS has always been an “everyone is welcome” type of club. Maybe there should be a process to prevent the type of people who are just in it to get what is due to them or what they believe they are owed. Maybe a prescreening/evaluation of prospective members could be instigated. Yeah…Pledges and then we could haze them! I don’t know what the solution is but I believe the good peeps are being displaced by the few bad. If you think you can do it better or we (SEAS Members) hack you off then by all means, start your own club.

I’m sure this will hack someone off but really I don’t care, I know others feel the way I do on this. If I am out of line then that is cool too, I just will not be a part of the house that Anthony built.

VIVA la SEAS!!!!!!!

Red Sea Purple Tang
04/30/2007, 04:28 PM
I just will not be a part of the house that Anthony built.

Actually, my house is pretty butt kick'in! I have a sweet tank and fish room. You should come visit. :cool:

Red Sea Purple Tang
05/01/2007, 08:16 AM
Seriously though, I realize that I am no longer a part of the group, but I do have many great reefer buds from the group, so I thought I would just give me $.02. Actually, it’s more like $.04 due to the cost of living difference in Wisconsin. I’m not directing this to anyone in particular.

You can have the best skimmer on the planet, but a new person to the hobby will smell that thing and say, “What is that crappy smell!” … overlooking the awesome piece of equipment. Point being, don’t let a couple people, who seemingly liked to make a stinky, ruin everything. There isn’t any room for “you have to do things this way” or “you have to buy from this store.” Some people just like to throw sand out of the sandbox, and that will never change. This group was started with the uniqueness of all the members in mind. Up here, there are guys who have large tanks with systems that rival the Georgia Aquarium and one guy has one of the most beautiful tanks in the group with nothing but a Red Sea Prizm skimmer! If ya can’t appreciate what other people are doing, than bow out. You guys got a good group of reefers in the Springfield area!

You will never make everyone happy and everyone doesn’t need to be part of the group….and that’s fine. Although I think screening is a little much…although hazing sounds like fun! :beer: I was rather taken back that people would air their laundry on a world wide message board, to the point that a moderator had to close the thread. That’s what meetings are for. And now that Steve is spearheading the group, get together and brainstorm for the year. We did that at almost every meeting we had! If everyone just wants to sit back all the time, then Steve will go absolutely crazy. I’m not saying that you have to be doing a cheer every time you’re at a meeting, but be active.

As I’ve said to others in the past, the first year starting a group is always the easiest. Everything is new. Every road trip we did was a new thing. The workshops we did were new….you get the idea. It gets increasingly harder as time goes on to keep things rolling. Is it impossible? Heck no. Does life get in the way? Just ask those in the ice storm. But a group is only as good as the members it has. If you have good people, that genuinely want to be involved, then things will be successful. I always enjoyed just going to people’s houses, talking reef, slamming a few and calling it good.

Well, that turned out to be more like $.10 + Tax.

I’m still not sure what the heck the “house that Anthony built” thing means…although if it has a reef tank inside, I’m all about that!
:rollface:

DeLong20
05/01/2007, 12:41 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9851559#post9851559 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Red Sea Purple Tang

Although I think screening is a little much…although hazing sounds like fun! :beer: I was rather taken back that people would air their laundry on a world wide message board, to the point that a moderator had to close the thread. That’s what meetings are for.

Rule #1: NO ONE TALKS ABOUT FIGHT CLUB!

Red Sea Purple Tang
05/01/2007, 05:55 PM

Dude! That was excellent! :beer:

Shaun120
05/02/2007, 10:29 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9853250#post9853250 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by DeLong20

Seriously Travis, how many times are you going to use this quote. Are you padding you posts again?:)

Freemans Reef
07/03/2007, 11:13 AM
congrats steve
i'm still trying to move back to spfld might actually happen this year
we used to all have a good time and i hope to be able to help in the future