PDA

View Full Version : fear of fragging

stormquest2112
04/07/2007, 08:46 AM
OK I have a colt, green leather and sinularia that are very healthy and growing like crazy. Which is the easiest to frag? I want to put the frags in my pico tank.

Do I just slice off a branch with a razor blade?

Directions please.............

thanks

gtrestoration
04/07/2007, 09:27 AM
They'll all be about the same. You'll need to attach it to a rock somehow. Glue wont work. Rubber bands might work but you have to get just the right tension so it holds it down but doesn't cut it in half. When using bands I use my saw to make a groove for the coral to lay in and band it down. Still some let go. The surest way I've found is to impale it to a rock using those cocktail plastic toothpicks with a large decoration at the end. Find a hole the pick fits in tight and shorten the pick so the large end bottoms out on the coral when mounted.

HTH
SteveU

stormquest2112
04/07/2007, 02:05 PM
Thanks..........I think I fear the slicing the most. Does the area where you cut heal pretty fast?? Do you have to do anything to the sliced area?

More suggestions/ hints/secrets ??

phatphisher
04/07/2007, 03:09 PM
make sure to use a clean and very sharp blade/ scissors. some use lugol's solution to dip the frag to avoid infection but i've never used it and don't find it necessary.

i agree with steve's post but i prefer to use 2 rubble rocks and sandwhich the frag between the 2 rocks. i then use a rubberband to hold all 3 pieces together.

the mother colony will heal pretty fast. i just recommend keeping the newly fragged piece in your tank. you can then move it to the new tank once it heals and attaches. this kinda minimizes the stress for quiker healing.

stormquest2112
04/07/2007, 03:43 PM
thanks again..........my colt is growing so much I need to frag it. Plus the frag would look great in the nano cube.

gtrestoration
04/07/2007, 03:43 PM
I always use a razor. Just cover your ears so you don't hear the screaming. :lol:

If the handling time is minimal I see the parent and frags often open within hours if left in the same tank and near the same spot.

SteveU

stormquest2112
04/07/2007, 03:51 PM
Ok, I think I will attempt the Colt coral tomorrow..............if I don't chicken out before that.

Jamie1210
04/07/2007, 05:29 PM
I actually just fragged my sinularia a few days ago (first time fragging too!) and tied it down using some thread. I tried sandwiching it down between rocks, but my hermit crabs/current uproots it. So personally, the thread works lots better I think. My mother colony doesn't seem to be too much affected, and I was expecting tons of slime, but for me, there was barely any. G'luck with yours :)

Jamie