PDA

View Full Version : 2 parts Additives VS Kalkwasser

castroantonio
04/07/2007, 02:06 AM
Aditives 2Parts (like B-ionic) or Kalkwasser.
Which is better for you?
and why do you prefer it?
Thank you

PatrickJ
04/07/2007, 02:37 AM
B-Ionic rocks. All the trace elements and no effects on pH.

I really did both.

Kalk was dripped.

jdieck
04/07/2007, 04:50 AM
They are both as effective but have pros and cons.
2 part like B-Ionic have no limit in how much you can add to replenish the consumption and they can be used to make adjustments of Calcium or Alkalinity independently if need to be but they are more expensive and need manual supplementation that can be a nuisance.

Kalk on the other hand can be cheaper and can be automated but the amount of Calcium and Alkalinity it can add is basically limited by your evaporation. It can not be used to make independent adjustments of Calcium or Alkalinity. Trying to do so targeting to increase one, can render the other to excessively high levels.

I will recommend using Kalk and if your evaporation is not enough so as for the Kalk to match your tank's consumption then you can use the two part as a complement to supplement the missing addition.

castroantonio
04/07/2007, 05:16 PM
Dear: Jdieck

what do you think about:
turbo calcium and Superbuffer dkh. (from Kent both) for keep levels in optimal level??
in past days I have been using them increase levels, and now I would like to keep using this 2 aditives, cause they gave me very good results.

jdieck
04/07/2007, 06:44 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9670454#post9670454 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by castroantonio
Dear: Jdieck

what do you think about:
turbo calcium and Superbuffer dkh. (from Kent both) for keep levels in optimal level??
in past days I have been using them increase levels, and now I would like to keep using this 2 aditives, cause they gave me very good results.
There will be no problem in using them just try to maintain a balanced addition. That is 20 ppm calcium per 1 meq/lt (2.8 dKh) of alkalinity

castroantonio
04/07/2007, 08:30 PM
one more question please!
have you ever used the baking soda, for increase or keep alkalnity?
do you think I can use it instead superbuffer?
thank you

jdieck
04/07/2007, 11:53 PM
Yes and Yes. You can use baking Soda just note that it might slightly temporarely reduce your PH for about 6 to 12 hours so it is better to dose it in the morning right before lights ON.
If your PH is low already (Say below 8.1 during the day) then you can bake the baking soda. Spread it on an oven tray (Preferably Pyrex) and bake it at 350*F for 11/2 to 2 hours and let it cool.
Baking it converts it into soda ash (sodium carbonate) which when used will increase temporarely our PH similar to what you get with the b-ionic or with Kalk. so when using baked baking soda watch out for your PH not to increase more than 0.2

atvdave
04/08/2007, 12:02 AM
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-02/rhf/index.php

Read that.. one more option.

castroantonio
04/08/2007, 01:52 AM
Thanks again,
If I have right level of Ph now I can use turbo calcium and baking soda for keep levels for long time?
and what do you think about coral buider instead baking soda?
thanks again and again....

jdieck
04/08/2007, 11:23 AM
I have never used Coral Builder but I would not expect much diferent results than with using baking soda.
Note that with Turbo Calcium and Baking Soda you can prepare the DIY two part supplement linked by atvdave above. the only difference is that when using Turbo Calcium which is more concentrated than Dow Flake you just need to use 20% less by volume.

castroantonio
04/08/2007, 01:21 PM
Dear jdieck
Sorry but each time, I have more doubts.

do you know what is the problem with Residual Ions from the Calcium and Alkalinity Parts? (from DIY two part supplement).
Cause I think is good option, but I dont understand the residual ions!
how this ions affect to animals?
and How can I avoid that residual ions affect the animals?
thanks a lot...