PDA

View Full Version : Just added Maxi Jet Mod Kit to tank

mfh_anderson
04/06/2007, 03:01 PM
Just added this to tank and must say the flow is UNREAL! so unreal though, that it seems to be alot (too much maybe) flow. I have a curlycue anemone that tentacles are flapping in the flow, alvepora drew up and colt is waving. All of those are in the bottom half of the tank and the mjMOD sits just a couple inches below the water line, so low that it cyclones air down sometimes.

What should i do.

papagimp
04/06/2007, 03:18 PM
I had a MJ1200 with low flow mod (1500gph) in my 55g tank with a 500gph return (700gph pump with headloss and tuned down a tad) and it was way toomuch flow for me. Started hurting alot of my frogspawns so I took it back out and replaced with two of the Koralia #1's. Works better for my livestock selection. A 55g is so "thin" that it's difficult to work with just one massive powerhead like a modded MJ. Just watch the anemone and corals well, make sure the high flow isn't ripping tissue off the bone or not allowing the leathers/softies to extend their polyps.

As for the cylcone of air, I had to put mine kinda low in the tank and aim it upwards towards the surface. It took awhile to get a decent flow worked out, use the aquascaping to your advantage. A large rock can break up that current and spread it around a bit :D. A laminar flow can hurt many corals (flow from one direction only) And even though the mods dispearse the flow some, it's still fairly laminar.

(these were my prefered powerheads until this Koralia came out, Mods are so cheap and so efficient, luckily technology is catching up to innovation of us reefers :D)

mfh_anderson
04/06/2007, 03:29 PM
i was debating getting another to face at this one, but im afraid that would be too much,

fish seem to enjoy the new waves. alot more active.

papagimp
04/06/2007, 04:06 PM
two of those in that small a tank, I don't think that would work very well. Way overkill. That would give you about 4000gph in a 55 or 72.2x turnover rate. recommended is between 10-40x turnover. I have about 25x in a 55 with LPS, SPS, and Leathers. And it's a definatly giving all the corals a high flow rate.