PDA

View Full Version : Is this too many fish at one time in a new tank?

t5Nitro
04/04/2007, 05:50 PM
My tank has cycled and I planned on ordering 5 dispar anthias tomorrow. I think they are around 2-3" each according to the website. Also, they had a powder brown tang at a store I wanted. Is 5 anthias and a powder brown tang too much at one time? The powder brown would go in tomorrow and the anthias Friday since they would arrive then and the powder brown wouldn't be established in a day anyway?

Is that too many fish at one time or would it be OK? I think the powder brown is around 3 to 3 1/2".

2OceanLovers
04/04/2007, 06:15 PM
In short, those are all pretty delicate fish and need established tanks, so I wouldn't do it if I was you. You will probably end up losing those fish. Are these going into your 46? If so, that is WAY to much at one time. FWIW

t5Nitro
04/04/2007, 06:21 PM
125 with 40 sump.

BrianD
04/04/2007, 06:55 PM
I agree, I wouldn't consider adding those fish so early.

t5Nitro
04/04/2007, 06:57 PM
Have to put some in some time. What about a foxface right away?

BrianD
04/04/2007, 07:05 PM
That is another grazing fish. Your best chance for success would be to start with fish that don't rely on a mature tank for optimal health.

t5Nitro
04/04/2007, 07:23 PM
My fish list consists of:
5 anthias
2 tangs
1 foxface
2 clowns

Already have 2 clowns and 1 tang. Algae sheets will work.

BrianD
04/04/2007, 07:43 PM
You already have one tang and you want to add a powder brown and a foxface?

I will answer your inital question:

That is too many fish and it will not be ok.

t5Nitro
04/04/2007, 07:44 PM
In a 125? People said that is understocked. I don't really agree with understocked but they said the SPS will really like more fish.

BrianD
04/04/2007, 07:48 PM
You are not listening to the right people, in my opinion. Also, it is not a matter of "understocked". It is adding delicate fish to a newly cycled aquarium instead of being patient. I would be willing to bet that if you add the anthias and the powder brown tang, you will lose all of them within 1-2 months. That is not a criticism of you, it is just based on my experience.

t5Nitro
04/04/2007, 08:12 PM
What do you suggest putting in the tank?

fishin79
04/04/2007, 09:13 PM
I currently have a 125 with a Foxface, a Powder Brown, and three Anthias (Squampinnis) as well as a few other fish. I agree with the other's comments. 6 fish this early is too many. However, I did put my Foxface in very early (second fish). He seems to be very hardy and has eaten absolutely anything from day one. If you put in algae sheets daily, I think you would be fine adding a Foxface this early. Just make sure that he is eating prepared food in the LFS because you will not have much on your liverock for him to eat.

As for the Powder Brown, I suggest quarantining him for at least four weeks. Mine was always healthy however, he was a picky eater at the beginning and he really needed to be by himself until he learned that he was only going to get to eat once a day and not continuously. Now, he and the Foxface are the first in line at feeding time.

Hope this helps,
James

t5Nitro
04/04/2007, 09:21 PM
Ya, I have 2 threads going here kind of. I was thinking 3 anthias to go in first or should it be 1 foxface alone in the tank first for a while?

fishin79
04/04/2007, 10:10 PM
I have gone down that route as well. I tried two different batches of Dispar Anthias (4 each) they all were dead within 2 weeks of arrival. I know a lot of others have had success with these fish; however, I think you should probably let your tank get a little more established prior to attempting a fish as sensitive as Dispar Anthias.

James

t5Nitro
04/05/2007, 06:39 AM
I am going to go with 3 barletts as they are more hardy. I don't think dispars do well with many anyway.

gasman059
04/05/2007, 07:10 AM
t5Nitro
I posted in your other thread my count and some pics.

RichK
04/05/2007, 08:00 AM
IMO, whatever anthias you choose, add them after the tank has aged a bit. IMO, I wouldn't add these fish until the tank is at least 6 months old. I've kept Bartletts long term (over 3 years) and even though they are a "more hardy" anthias, I would not categorize them as a fish for a new tank. They like several small feedings per day, and that can quickly add nutrients to such a new tank. That said, we all know you want to add fish. Out of all the fish you mentioned, I would add the foxface first. These guys are super skittish and need a calm environment to settle in. Whatever you do, do it slowly. The most overlooked thing in this hobby is patience. Remember, it takes a long time for good things to happen, but bad things can happen overnight.

LisaD
04/05/2007, 09:35 AM
I agree, add the foxface first, and feed it nori or some other sheet algae from a clip, daily. Watch your water parameters closely and be prepared to do frequent partial water changes. Have you already added the clowns and your other tang? If not, maybe put them in first if you have had them awhile.