PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone have a CPR overflow???

EWC88
04/04/2007, 01:18 PM
Hey guys/girls. I had a wet/dry filter on my 40g tank. The overflow it came with was loud, so I built the Hofer Gurgle Buster to make it quiet. And even that was loud it didn't work for me. I spent a decent amount of money for this filter and additional parts and hope I can keep it.

So I was wondering if anyone had a CPR Overflow, on how quiet are they?? Is it worth the money or no? Cause I mean my overflow was LOUD. You heard loud slirp in sounds and all. So I'm hoping to find something good.

-Erich

fareforce
04/04/2007, 01:26 PM
The slurping is caused by not enough water flowing through the pipes/tubes, so it takes air with it. Simple fix. Install a gate valve on your drain line, and throttle it back a bit so the chamber in your overflow has more water in it. This will sloww the speed of the water going through the pipe, and stop sucking air..

=)

ahullsb
04/04/2007, 01:30 PM
I use a CPR and it is fairly quiet. I probably wouldn't run it without the optional aqualifter pump. I think its like 10 or 15 bucks. As long as you keep the CPR clean it won't give you any problems. You can search my posts if you want, I have one problem with the design of the CPR overflows that you can read if you want. In the same thread someone posted another brand that is supposed to be even more reliable. But CPR is a fairly standard overflow that seems to work. It just sounds like running water I suppose. Not more audible than my protein skimmer.

EWC88
04/04/2007, 01:43 PM
Ok thanks for the help guys so far.

Fareforce, I had a shut off valve one it before so I can allow full water to go into filter or half or w.e and still had that noise.

I mean is there really anything that is quiet out there? Or will you always hear loud sounds?

fareforce
04/04/2007, 02:01 PM
Another trick is to put a piece of ridged airline tubing down the throat of the bulkhead in your overflow.. Slowly move it up and down and see if it helps the noise.. 2"-4" down seems to be the "sweet spot" on many overflows.

mfh_anderson
04/04/2007, 02:31 PM
my cpr makes no noise

EWC88
04/04/2007, 02:45 PM
Do you have that pump you can get with it? or no?

And weres a good place to order??

mfh_anderson
04/04/2007, 02:56 PM
i do not have the pump. i hook it to my power head.

EWC88
04/04/2007, 03:54 PM
Ok. So do you think it'll be a good thing to get or the lifereef? I don't know what to get and I heard alot about the CPR. I just don't want to keep blowing money

fareforce
04/04/2007, 04:17 PM
Get a lifereef.. They are money well spent! =)

EWC88
04/04/2007, 04:58 PM
The lifereef looks just like the kind I had when they give you a wet/dry filter. And the Hofer Gurgle Buster didn't work to be quiet for me and that looks just like it. Unless there not the same but from the pictures of what it looks like, it looks like mine downstairs.

ahullsb
04/04/2007, 07:39 PM
Lifereef was the other brand I was trying to think of. They are supposed to be better but the cpr works fine too

Jerry W
04/05/2007, 12:37 AM
You will be very pleased with the LifeReef. IMO, the u-tube design is much more reliable. I had a CPR which I recently replaced with a LifeReef and only wish I had done it years ago. The CPR lost siphon, was noisey and troublesome.

everl0ng
04/05/2007, 05:00 AM
yeah, i was very reluctant to spend 145 on my lifereef overflow because i am living on a VERY TIGHT budget, but i am very pleased with my decision to purchase one. i have already lost power once and the lifereef design makes it restart automatically when the power comes back on, aaand you don't need a powerhead to keep the bubbles from being trapped in the u-tube like i had to do with my previous box. definitely a produst that i can say money well spent on.

JOSEPHLB
04/05/2007, 07:48 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9645968#post9645968 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by fareforce
Another trick is to put a piece of ridged airline tubing down the throat of the bulkhead in your overflow.. Slowly move it up and down and see if it helps the noise.. 2"-4" down seems to be the "sweet spot" on many overflows.

This is mentioned in the instructions for my Hurricane u-tube overflow.

EWC88
04/05/2007, 09:00 AM
Ok. The only thing I question is....the LIFEREEF Brand..Looks just like me overflow that came with the wet/dry. That was noisey so I built the HOFER GURGLE BUSTER on it and still loud. Now LIFEREEF offers some silent thing but looks just like the HOFER GURGLE BUSTER. I just question it cause I don't want to keep wasting more and more money