PDA

View Full Version : AZ lighting Poll/question

twinclan
04/04/2007, 12:58 PM
OK, since you all are fellow zonians I have a pressing question. I have been trying to get all of my questions asked and I am still so so confused about my lighting issues.

I just upgraded to a 90 gallon tank and need new lighting since my 2x96w PC's won't cut it anymore. The guy at Tropical Treasures that has been helping me rescue my tank from a hair algae infestation suggests MH lighting. I know it is the prettiest and the corals love it, but I really worry about heat issues. Come on, we are in AZ. My tank now is running at 82-84. I really can't afford a chiller too.

I want to do a retro fit with some fans in the canopy. So I can't decide if I should do PC's, VHO, or T5's. I have heard very mixed opinions of T5's since they are relatively new. I have seriously considered MH's too.

Cost is a BIG factor. I just don't have $500-$600 for lights right now. Maybe more the $200-$300 range but I do want what is best for my tank. I have even thought of just putting in one retro Mh 175 for now and more later with the PC outer orbit I have now and then selling the outer orbit later.?. I just don't know.

Anywho, I wondered what is everyone else around here running??

Doglover_50
04/04/2007, 01:06 PM
Sit and wait until a MH comes available on FRAG--they come up pretty often. Takes care of your $ issue. Retrofit your canopy for the MH AND your current PCs. I don't know the formula for mixing lights and watts you'd need in MH. Run some serious fans in your hood, and if you can't afford a chiller, figure out how to run a large fan to circulate air around tank--and deal with evap!
82-84 works, but man--that sounds like you are on the edge of the danger zone! One power outage in the summer and you are right up there in dangerous territory!

twinclan
04/04/2007, 01:13 PM
Boy do I know that, luckily since I am with APS we don't get too many of those. SRP I used to all the time. I do worry about it though.

Thanks for the advice. I will watch for one here, cause I really need to save some money, my husband told me I was cut off for a while but I really need the lights.

elzool
04/04/2007, 01:19 PM
I just installed 6 T5s in my tank last week. I upgraded from PCs.

Tank temp went up four degrees. Then I turned the fans around cause like a doofus I had the fans pushing air into the canopy around the lights and onto the the water instead of OUT of the canopy.
Turned fans around, dropped it 6 degrees.

I have four 60mm fans across the back of the canopy pushing air in and I have three 120mm fans in the top pushing air out. So once I had the fans facing the right direction my tank temp dropped 2 degrees from what it had been sitting at for the previous year.

The T5s are nice in that you can tweak your colors for what you and your corals like. I bought both 660 ballasts used and some reflectors, standoffs and end caps as well from folks here on RC.

azmorpheus
04/04/2007, 01:24 PM
Well I would suggest T5 lighting if you are worried about heat. I run both MH and T5's on my tank and heat is not really an issue, just have a couple of fans in the canopy. I did a quick search and you can get a 4x54w T5 retrofit setup for under 300 and then you could sell your pc's on here if you don't need them. The T5's would be enough to grow most corals and in the future you can upgrade and add two more if you wanted to. Plus the bulbs for T5 are suppose to last longer then a MH bulb and is a little cheaper in the long run.

twinclan
04/04/2007, 01:27 PM
I had debated on some T5's from hellolights or maybe the Mh T5 combo that runs about $400. Still a little beyond my reach right now though, I may need to go a little at a time.

I think I am going to go check out Pets inc and see about getting some fans to mount in my canopy now, since I just have a floor fan blowing on it now. I was going to put two going in and two going out. Hopefully that will work.

twinclan
04/04/2007, 01:29 PM
azmorpheus, so you like your MH and T5 set up? would you do it again? and how long have you had it?

elzool
04/04/2007, 01:30 PM
As you're in Peoria I'd be happy to show you mine if you have any interest. I'm at at 83rd and Bethany.

twinclan
04/04/2007, 01:32 PM
That's where I used to live at 83rd and Sierra Vista, now I'm at 83rd and Deer Valley

AZDesertRat
04/04/2007, 01:45 PM
You are welcome to see my retro fit MH/VHO setup. I swear by MH and VHO Super Actinic combinations. Yes heat can be an issue but with proper fan placement and orientation its not that big an issue. I do have a chiller now just because the opportunity came up to purchase a used one but it rarely runs at all. I am at 35th Ave & Union Hills.

azmorpheus
04/04/2007, 02:40 PM
Ive had it set up for about two years now, I like the idea of having both so I can tweak the color to my liking. If I did it over I would probably do the same thing but I would really really consider doing just T5's. Im near pets inc so if you head over here and want to take a look at my tank just let me know.

twinclan
04/04/2007, 02:49 PM
pm sent azmorpheus

61scout80
04/04/2007, 02:53 PM
i have a do it yourself 70watt metal halide over a 10 gallon tank. it cost me about $70 to do.

i'll be doing a 150 watt soon too. that should cost about $10-$20 more than the 70 watt

twinclan
04/04/2007, 02:55 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9646454#post9646454 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by 61scout80
i have a do it yourself 70watt metal halide over a 10 gallon tank. it cost me about $70 to do.

i'll be doing a 150 watt soon too. that should cost about $10-$20 more than the 70 watt

I would love to do that, but I am not that handy. My husband is really handy with things but I don't know about electrical. He can do almost anything but even he says he is not so sure since he has never done anything like it.

BLUESMAN
04/04/2007, 02:57 PM
My opinion , and that's all it is......If you want to actually grow and have ur corals thrive...Then step up and get the proven Lighting system....Metal halides! I once had 3x 400watters over an 80g tank and 4x110w VHO's....that tank just grew!! I now have a single 250w MH over my 40g(36"x18x16" deep)...But I'm going to add a second 250w to run for a few hours. Heat? Well it can be solved with fans....in the canopy and in the sump. My Choice MH's and VHO's. Blue

Westy82
04/04/2007, 03:14 PM
just recently someone was selling some MH lighting for $200 on here. i forget who it was and cant find the thread so hopefully someone can remember who it was or where the thread is. the person was selling a tank for $400 and the MH lights for $200. these lights might work for you twinclan

twinclan
04/04/2007, 03:15 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9646651#post9646651 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Westy82
just recently someone was selling some MH lighting for $200 on here. i forget who it was and cant find the thread so hopefully someone can remember who it was or where the thread is. the person was selling a tank for $400 and the MH lights for $200. these lights might work for you twinclan

That would be perfect! Anyone else know someone selling some MH lights??

oct2274
04/04/2007, 03:18 PM
T5's are awesome, I love mine. VHO and PC are a not compareable to T5's Par when used with good reflectors like Icecap SLR's. If you want good coral POP then get ATI blue plus and UV Super Actinic for the T5's you won't be sorry. I do have HQI 150's with my T5 cause I enjoy the shimmer :)

Westy82
04/04/2007, 03:21 PM
for some reason i cant find the link but i remember who ever the seller was was selling the tank too as they did not have room for it where they moved... hopefully ill find the thread or someone else will for you

edit: i was looking in the tucson section the other day here is the link

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1084624

oct2274
04/04/2007, 03:21 PM
Here is a good article with T5 par readings and best bulb choices.
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=918935

azrednex
04/04/2007, 04:21 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9646464#post9646464 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by twinclan
I would love to do that, but I am not that handy. My husband is really handy with things but I don't know about electrical. He can do almost anything but even he says he is not so sure since he has never done anything like it.

There are by my count 3 members of frag that are now or used to be electricians ,and many skilled DYIers who can rig lighting. you would have no trouble finding someone to help you install a retrofit kit

My personal experience says go with MHs I couldn't keep any thing but softies and hardy LPS in my 90 gallon until I got 2 X 150w MHs on it, now I run 2 X 250w only and I've got good color and amazing growth.

Doglover_50
04/04/2007, 04:52 PM
Twin, 2 thoughts. First, take up azdesertrat on his offer and check his tank. from his pics, it is a gorgeous tank!

Second--also check drygoods for sale room on RC--if nothing available here, you could have someone ship to you. I got a hood with PC lighting this way for my 16 gallon bowfront--40 bucks!

AZDesertRat
04/04/2007, 05:27 PM
Do it yourself MH or any lighting is simple. If you can crimp a wire connector and tell a red wire from a black wire you are halfway there.
T5 may be the wave of the future to some but until they can get it to shimmer like MH and get the actinic coloration of a URI VHO Super Actinic it just isn't there yet. It is also 100% dependent on individual reflectors to get the most out of the bulbs.
As you can see colors are vibrant and growth just explodes with MH.

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f369/AJOIII/1-24-07005.jpg

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f369/AJOIII/1-24-07004.jpg

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f369/AJOIII/2006_08_23011.jpg

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f369/AJOIII/2006_6_18016.jpg

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f369/AJOIII/6-1023.jpg

twinclan
04/04/2007, 05:45 PM
beautiful tank azdesertrat. I was looking at the MH setup that Westy82 sent me and the person in tucson still has it. I do constantly check the forums for sale items. Thanks for all your input. I will pm you desert rat for more info and maybe my husband and I can come out and get some pointers from you. Thanks all!

hermanx7
04/04/2007, 09:30 PM
Aquauniverse has decent MH at a decent price. Here is a link to the retro fit kits.

http://www.aquauniverse.com/component/page,shop.browse/root,41/category_id,61/option,com_phpshop/Itemid,31/

A friend of mine got the 2x250 about 7 months ago and he hasnt had a problem with his.

Thomas

Satori
04/04/2007, 10:33 PM
You can control heat from lights fairly well by using fans. An important heating source that you can't control is heat from pumps. If you're already close heat-wise, some cooler running pumps can make all the difference in the world. :)

61scout80
04/04/2007, 11:37 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9646464#post9646464 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by twinclan

the electrical is cake for this light, there are a few people with good photos in the DIY section, but i'll sum it up here.

take the non coated wire from the light fixture and attach it to the metal case of the ballast

take the black wire and twist it together with one of the 2 red wires from the ballast, screw a wire nut on and tape it with electrical tape.

take the white wire from the light fixture and twist it together to the other red wire from the ballast, wire nut and tape.

take the black wire from the plug that goes to the wall, trist it to the black wire on the ballast, nut and tape

same with the white from the plug and the white from the ballast

hook the green, or uncoated wire to the ballast case

my light bulb required me to bend the tabs that hold the bulb back a little, i did this with my hands.

put the bulb in, plug it in, it will take a minute or 2 to get to ful brightness and watch your coral thrive. it took longer for you to read this post than it would take to wire everything together :D

BLUESMAN
04/04/2007, 11:57 PM
And Watch Ur Corals Grow and grow!!! MH all the way!!! Blue

twinclan
04/05/2007, 12:01 AM
Thanks to all, I cannot tell you all how much I appreciate all of the help and advice that everyone is willing to give.

I think I will definitely go with some MH lighting with fans in my canopy and maybe some in going on my sump. I may even put in some VHO for some extra actinic. I am going to try and go see desertrats tank this week with my husband and maybe that will help too. Thanks again!

bajabum
04/05/2007, 12:26 PM
If I want coral growth, I use T5 or PC (460nm), but I don't try and grow SPS at the bottom of a 30" deep tank. Over 24" deep, I would use MH. I have been replacing my old PC's with Nova T5's (4-4' bulbs/$200) which have temperature control fans to keep the bulbs at the correct temp for efficiency. I use 130w per 2' of tank over the growing area. 25%10k, 75% 460nm. I have two 175w MH corelife ballasts and a twin bulb reflector I am thinking about selling.