PDA

View Full Version : Baby Heteractis malu?

Aquabucket
04/01/2007, 10:04 PM
http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/1157/apr0103yd3.jpg

I know they are hard to ID from a pic and probably won't no for sure until it grows quite a bit. 2 things make me think its a malu though: A bright red/orange foot and a soft semi-translucent brown base. I do believe it is a healthy specimen as it incurred little in the way of bleaching from collection. It is taking frozen mysis and brine so far. I am going to offer it some other foods soon.

Anyway let me know what you all think of the ID and overall quality of the specimen.

Thanks,
~Spike

OrionN
04/01/2007, 10:59 PM
A bright orange foot bring M. dorrensis to mind. To me, it look from the top, just like a few H. crispa

phender
04/02/2007, 12:45 AM
Newly aquired anemones are sometimes difficult to ID in person much less from one picture. A picture before it buried itself would have been great.
It could be H. crispa. It is not an obvious H. malu, but it still could be.
The little hooks on the ends of some of the tentacles are interesting, coupled with the bright red/orange foot makes me think it might indeed be M. doreensis.

The Anemone FAQ at the top of the main page has a pic of the malu verrucae vs. the M. doreensis verrucae. Take a look and see what you think.

illcssd
04/02/2007, 01:16 AM
I believe those are just small h. crispa, ime with them they have gotten longer tentacles after a few weeks in captivity...Unfortunetly i don't have any after pics, just before...
http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l217/goforzer0/sebae/DSCF5219.jpg

Aquabucket
04/02/2007, 07:41 PM
It was the foot that had me thinking it was not a crispa. Either way its a nice specimen and is already showing good growth/expansion. It looks like I will be making some more room for it sooner than later.

I am not going to disturb it to get a better look at the verrucae at this point. I'll just have to wait and see until it gets to a more suitable size.

Thanks for all your help so far!

Aquabucket
04/06/2007, 08:34 AM
Wow these babies grow fast! Anyone have an idea how big it can get in 6 months to a year?

GSMguy
04/06/2007, 09:59 AM
15 to 16 inches in a year

Aquabucket
04/06/2007, 10:12 AM
Looks like I'll be trading this guy out for an Australian Elegance sooner than I thought. It should be fun watching it grow though. I am hoping maybe I got lucky and it is a Malu and might not grow as fast. So far its not looking that way.

GSMguy
04/06/2007, 10:16 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9660746#post9660746 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Aquabucket
Looks like I'll be trading this guy out for an Australian Elegance sooner than I thought. It should be fun watching it grow though. I am hoping maybe I got lucky and it is a Malu and might not grow as fast. So far its not looking that way.

i think that a crispa will grow slower than a M. dorensis my dorensis grew 12 inches in a year