PDA

View Full Version : culturing berghia nudi's

reeferaddict
08/22/2002, 10:00 AM
Do any of you guys out there have berghia's which are reproducing and thriving in your reef tanks, or in seperate breeding tanks?
I am in the process of acquiring a few of these and had a few ??'s about their needs. For one, do they have any natural predators which I should steer clear of; if I intend on breeding these guys how many should I start with, and how fast do one or two of these guys eat aiptasia?
Any ideas or info, or does anyone know a good book or site on the subject as I have yet to find much info
Thanks

Stonyguy
08/25/2002, 12:26 PM
Reef Addict,

See this paper:

Carroll, D.J. and S.C. Kempf, 1990. Laboratory culture of the aeolid nudibranch Berghia verrucicornis (Mollusca, Opistobranchia): some aspects of its development and life history. Biol. Bull. 179:243-253.

Berghia verrucicornis is easy to propagate - it can be done with a dozen or so quart jars, perhaps 6 Beghia 'starter' specimens, a microwave (for jar sterilization) and a plentiful - repeat, plentiful - supply of Aiptasias.

It is far better to 'slice and dice' Aiptasias into 'bite size' pieces of Berghia. Requires daily water changes in the quart jars though.
better success is had if you can sterilize your seawater supply. With dedication and a little luck, you'll raise 10,000 of these things annually.

Stonyguy

reeferaddict
08/25/2002, 03:28 PM
thanks so much for the info...I don't plan on a scale that major but maybe;) For now I need help controling some aiptasia and thought I would try to raise them in the process.
Do you have any experience? I've spoken with two or three who have had them spawn in their reefs in the past..but they weren't after high porduction numbers..anyway
thanks again

Stonyguy
08/28/2002, 02:08 AM
Do I have any experience with captive Berghia propagation?
Well, a little - raised 10,000 or so:D

While Berghia propagation is certainly possible in a reef tank, you'll have much better success spawning these guys in small containers. The spiral egg masses float and can be transfered with a spoon or baster to a small rearing jar. You'll know the Berghias are well fed when their cerrata turn from white to brown.
Not rocket science, but does require dedication.

Jefe12234
08/28/2002, 02:32 AM
Stonyguy, do you have any experience with using Berghia to control aiptasia in a display tank? I understand that they do best in a small container with lots of aiptasia within easy reach. But what happens when I have a good culture going that I wish to use on aiptasia in a display tank? Can they still do their job in a big tank, or will they get lost, starve, etc?

I wouldn't want to start a culture if they can only thrive in a jar.

-Chris

reeferaddict
08/28/2002, 11:06 AM
10,000 eh? Got any left? I just need a dozen or so;)
really though, where did you get your supply?

and Jefe- No more Serenity Now!! Try Hoochie-Mama:D

Stonyguy
08/29/2002, 08:18 PM
To answer the questions:

Control of nuisance anemones by using Berghia depends upon several factors.

1. Correct identification of the 'nuisance' anemones. Unfortunately, many lump all small, brown anemones into the genus Aiptasia. Berghia may or may not control your particular genus.

2. Anemone size. This is strictly anecdotal (no controlled testing) but Berghia seem to prefer smaller Aiptasia. However (again anecdotal), Berghia can control larger Aiptasia specimens if the anemone is injured and the epidermal tissue is compromised.

3. Number of Berghia. Food-to-prey ratios should be considered.

4. Berghia predators. Many fish are curious about these little nudis, and often pick at them or mouth them. I never saw a fish actually consume Berghia, but I'm fairly certain that it happens.

Not in the Berghia business any more. We got our Berghia broodstock through Jon Moore when he was working with Adey's Smithsonian reef tank.

Stonyguy

reeferaddict
09/03/2002, 03:43 PM
Thanks Stonyguy for all the info. :) What is an ideal food to prey ratio. I'd like to get a better idea of how much these guys eat.

If I am using them primarily to control the aiptasia in one display tank, should I just release three or four into that reef tank and not worry about culturing them, or would I need to start culturing them first, allowing me to provide a constant supply for the display with the aip. problem?

I guess I'm kinda in the same boat as Jefe, wondering if putting berghia in my reef is worth the effort.

Flame*Angel
09/03/2002, 05:12 PM
I've been considering berghias as well. Check the information Inland Aquatics has here, it answers your questions:
http://www.inlandaquatics.com/info/faq_aiptasia.html

Macimage
09/12/2002, 11:17 PM
StonyGuy,

Could you please elaborate a little more on your recommendation to sterilize the seawater??

Are you referring to seawater from the ocean?? Or from your tank?? Is is better to use tank water or freshly made salt mix??

How do you recommend sterilizing the seawater & why??

Thanks for the info,
Joyce

Stonyguy
09/13/2002, 09:31 PM
Macimage,

We 'sterilized' seasoned, artificial seawater by filtering it through 0.45 micron filters. Purchase of some lab equipment is in order if you're seriously considering mass culture of Berghia. A small, vacuum hand pump is ~$65.00, a vacuum funnel another $75, and the micron filters (several hundred per pack) are ~$80. This equipment is available through Hach, Cole-Parmer, Fisher, WVR, etc. Or, if there's a bacterological lab close by, you may be able to get them to filter your water. Sterilization of culture water isn't absolutely necessary, but you'll have higher success rates if you do.

Never used natural seawater, but bacteria are in that as well and I suspect it requires pretreatment.

Sliced-and-diced Aiptasia can foul culture water in a hurry, so best to begin with sterilized or disinfected water first. Still, water changes every 24 hours are necessary.

Stonyguy

Macimage
09/16/2002, 03:29 PM
StonyGuy,

Thanks for the information. I had no idea that is was that involved!! These boards are such a great source of information.

Joyce

reeferaddict
09/28/2002, 03:29 AM
I know that a few of you guys got some berghia's as of late from rob furguson, at least several people did, as I am awaiting the next batch. ;)

Just wondering if anyone who had gotten some from him reads this, how did they ship/acclimate, and how are things going.

For people who may happened to have aqcuired them soome where else, where did you find them in stock?, and how are they doing?

I am in the process of growing aiptasia in two seperate tanks in preparation for getting my berghia population started. There appears to be a much higher demand than supply, hopefully in a year or so I'll have some to share;)

just wanted to bring this topic back up

anyone know the lifespan of the berghia nudibranchs?

reeferaddict
09/28/2002, 03:30 AM
sorry double post:p

saltgirl
10/01/2002, 11:51 PM
I am also interested in anyone that supplies berghias. IA won't have any for awhile, and Rob is not ready to ship yet. Anyone that can propagate these will have lots of buyers, as we are really wanting these! Peppermint shrimp have done nothing for mine. Berghia have helped in the past. Anyone knowing of any sources please help us! Thanks! Makes me want to start a berghia farm....

joe123987
10/16/2002, 08:43 AM
If Berghia are so easy to propogate why doesn't anyone in the country have any right now. I have been searching for a couple of months. There is certainly a demand.

behappy2
11/01/2002, 03:21 PM
I will attempt to relate my experience using Berghia to rid the thousand of Aiptasia in my display tank. My first attempt was a purchase a spiral of eggs from Ron. Added the eggs in the main tank and waited 3 months did not see anything. Was impatient ,called Ron and purchased 3 adults berghia, one died a few days later, found eggs sipral in holding tank, two adults I added in the main tank ( 100g) Unfortunately one got blown by the powerhead as I released it onto a large Aiptasia which stunk it, Note Aiptasia will eat Berghia. ( I witnessed it ) Anyway, I got it off the Aiptaisia and its body was as though splashed with acid, but was still alive. After two months I notice tiny white bugs in the tank - YES !! babies berghias.( Don't know till this date if it came from the eggs spiral or from the adults purchased later. ) Usually find then after light are out, They grow to about 1.5 inches. Will eat small and larger Aiptasia. Over a few months I have Berghias. egg spirals all over even in the sump. Sold some to recoup initial investment. After a year, tank was Aiptasia free. no more Berghia now. Did find six Aiptaisia last month was was able to remove them by covering them ( blocking their light source) with a rubble rock., Aiptasia will move to rubble rock which is then discarded. In short, Berghia will breed in main tank, will take a few months to completely devour the Aiptasia. Mine took a year !

saltgirl
11/26/2002, 12:14 AM
Does anyone have the website or e-mail address of Rob Ferguson? I've lost it. Thanks.

Susko
12/08/2002, 11:16 AM
I'd like Rob's address also if someone has it. I'm one of those who are in need.

Thanks