PDA

View Full Version : Originality Has Left The Building!

Inflames
03/29/2007, 12:16 PM
Why does every tank i see have the same old pile of rocks dropped in the center like mother nature took a dump in the sand? What ever happened to trying a new setup or new ideas instead of just following the last guy with the same aquascaping and boring layout?

burton14e7
03/29/2007, 12:20 PM
Only so much you can do with a pile of rocks in a box and have places to put corals in the proper positions for flow and light. I've seen many unique rock formations made though with the aid of pvc drilling and ties. In the end though its their tank and they can do what they wish.

michaeldaly
03/29/2007, 12:24 PM
What does your tank have, I also have the rock wall, it looks quite good and it is easy to get good flow around the rocks.

Inflames
03/29/2007, 12:26 PM
I dont think most people are setting up tanks with flow patterns and light dispersion in mind. I think they are just copying the pre-set pattern of "rocks in the middle".

Dholmblad
03/29/2007, 12:29 PM
Why do you care what other peoples tanks look like?.... And what else are you suppost to do with a pile of rocks that are not stable?

Rock Anemone
03/29/2007, 12:30 PM
To each his/her own methods of aquascaping. Perhaps they aren't copying, maybe they just prefer it.

rustybucket145
03/29/2007, 12:36 PM
Obviously you haven't seen many tanks. There are tons out there (mine included) that have different rock configurations.

I have a rock wall on each back corner then a rock 'island' formation in the middle of the tank.

And what else are you suppost to do with a pile of rocks that are not stable?
Ummm...... superglue, epoxy, imagination...etc. AND you should buy your rocks with placement in mind. Too many people just go to the LFS and say... Give me 200lbs of rock! That's probably the dumbest thing that a person could do for their tank. You end up with a bunch of ugly *** pieces that don't fit together or look good together.

Just my thoughts on the matter. And before you make a statement as broad as... '...every tank I see...' You should really look around at some more tanks.

Tehrab
03/29/2007, 12:37 PM
Here you go: http://www.kilian-nakamura.com/blog-english/index.php/deep-fry-diving-for-goldfish-in-japan/

Inflames
03/29/2007, 12:40 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9598640#post9598640 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by rustybucket145
Obviously you haven't seen many tanks. There are tons out there (mine included) that have different rock configurations.

I have a rock wall on each back corner then a rock 'island' formation in the middle of the tank.

Ummm...... superglue, epoxy, imagination...etc. AND you should buy your rocks with placement in mind. Too many people just go to the LFS and say... Give me 200lbs of rock! That's probably the dumbest thing that a person could do for their tank. You end up with a bunch of ugly *** pieces that don't fit together or look good together.

Just my thoughts on the matter. And before you make a statement as broad as... '...every tank I see...' You should really look around at some more tanks.

So because i havent seen YOUR tank i havent seen "many" tanks. I love that logic.

burton14e7
03/29/2007, 12:43 PM
I think his logic was that your point of view is based on not seeing all the different types of aquascaping found on reefcentral including his. Which I haven't seen but I don't need to because I've seen a ton of unique tanks. What is your proposal anyways? Why bring this up with out some sort of solution?

rustybucket145
03/29/2007, 12:50 PM
So because i havent seen YOUR tank i havent seen "many" tanks. I love that logic.
Not at all. I KNOW you haven't seen many tanks if you've only seen one's with solid rock walls. There are litereally tons of tanks just here on RC that go by the rock island type scheme.

What is your proposal anyways? Why bring this up with out some sort of solution?
:DBan All Rock Wall Tanks!!:hammer: :bounce1: :bounce2: :bounce3: :bounce1: :bounce2: :bounce3: :hammer: :hammer:

rustybucket145
03/29/2007, 12:51 PM
Tank dismantling must begin at once! :D

Thunderpants
03/29/2007, 01:00 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9598729#post9598729 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by rustybucket145

:DBan All Rock Wall Tanks!!:hammer: :bounce1: :bounce2: :bounce3: :bounce1: :bounce2: :bounce3: :hammer: :hammer:

Tank dismantling must begin at once!

Are you 12?

rustybucket145
03/29/2007, 01:01 PM
ummm... no.. I was kidding...

humor anyone?

gabe3d
03/29/2007, 01:08 PM
There is some truth as to what the original poster has said about tanks looking similar to others in terms of rockwork and coral placement. If you guys look at most of hte TOTM they are predominnantly a wall of rock. I can see two reasons for it. Either the rock work is really a wall or corals have grown to the point where they make it look like a wall.

Anyways there are a lot different type of aquaspacing out there. There is a recent thread about full tank shot that shows a variety of aquaspacing, you can take a look at that and see quite a few different types of rockwork.

Out of curiosity, can you show us how your tank looks like? Don't take that question in the wrong way, i just want to get a feel as to what you mean by original and different.

Gabe

drummereef
03/29/2007, 01:34 PM
I think what Inflames needs to do is take a look at gabe3d's tank ^^^. Freakin awesome example of a great aquascape. :thumbsup: Also, spend some time in the Large Tank forum and check out some aquascapes in there. You'd be surprised at what you'll find. ;)

dc_909
03/29/2007, 01:49 PM
I think a lot has to do with the size of a tank. It is hard to do innovative things in smaller tanks, less than 80. It can be done, but it is just easier with a large tank.

barbra
03/29/2007, 01:51 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9598801#post9598801 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by rustybucket145
ummm... no.. I was kidding...

humor anyone?

Haha! I got it...it's funny!

There is a near universal dislike for the rock wall look, but it's hard to come up with something more creative and many people just don't have the skills or the desire. There is always an aquascaping thread popping up and a big casting call for people to post pics of their comparably-sized tanks as a method of gathering ideas. Not everyone is strong in all areas, some of those boring rock wall tanks probably have custom sumps or a kickin DIY skimmer attached.

Also, some people are just plain afraid of handling their rock as much as is required to drill it and thread rods, etc., so it becomes a rock wall by default. Unless you actively try to come up with something different you will only ever have a rock wall.

Inflames
03/29/2007, 02:10 PM
People calm down. I was merely suggesting some more originality with the aquascaping. Im not saying its taboo to do it that way. True most of the tanks ive seen (and yes i have seen alot) are set up in generally the same way. If anyone has links to tanks that look different by all means please post them, id like to see something different.

mr pink floyd
03/29/2007, 02:13 PM
i actually set mine up specifically for what i wanted, i knew i wanted SPS and zoos, so thats how i set mine up, and i made it look darn good too(i think)

The SPS side is a big mountain of rocks in the left corner, that slopes high to low, back to front(base is the thickest, top is thinnest), then the other side is the saem thing, but about 1/3 the height, leaving lots of swimming room and open space, the best part is 1 pump gets great flow over the whole area

Inflames
03/29/2007, 02:22 PM
I like how your tank is set up floyd.

Orochimaru
03/29/2007, 02:56 PM
I think most people, I am included, stack their tanks the way they do because that is the most efficient use of space. I've have tried different things but in the end, I just end up with the same design as everyone else. With the amount of money we put in maintanining the tank, we tend to squeeze every last inch of space with corals. yes, other diff. designs are very nice and very natural looking but I can't squeeze that many corals in there. Maybe because I am just greedy and want to keep everything.

I do beleive that you started this thread just as a curiousity and not to offend anyone. I offen wonder about the same thing sometimes too. Enough talk, here is my tank....just like everyone's else.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b73/tetrafuran/IMGP1002.jpg
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b73/tetrafuran/IMGP1004.jpg

toccata
03/29/2007, 03:02 PM
I think this is dumb, people set up what should please them, and should not be setting up their tanks to please someone else. If you like what you see in your own tank then that's all that matters. If you're not happy with what you see elsewhere, I'd say do something different yourself and leave it at that..

Inflames
03/29/2007, 03:22 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9599670#post9599670 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by tetra
I think most people, I am included, stack their tanks the way they do because that is the most efficient use of space. I've have tried different things but in the end, I just end up with the same design as everyone else. With the amount of money we put in maintanining the tank, we tend to squeeze every last inch of space with corals. yes, other diff. designs are very nice and very natural looking but I can't squeeze that many corals in there. Maybe because I am just greedy and want to keep everything.

I do beleive that you started this thread just as a curiousity and not to offend anyone. I offen wonder about the same thing sometimes too. Enough talk, here is my tank....just like everyone's else.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b73/tetrafuran/IMGP1002.jpg
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b73/tetrafuran/IMGP1004.jpg

Thats a really good lookin tank there. What size is that anyway?

SDguy
03/29/2007, 03:24 PM
Rock wall....hmmm, I prefer the term fruit stand :D

Orochimaru
03/29/2007, 03:35 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9599848#post9599848 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Inflames
Thats a really good lookin tank there. What size is that anyway?

just 100gal.

Orochimaru
03/29/2007, 03:37 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9599861#post9599861 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by SDguy
Rock wall....hmmm, I prefer the term fruit stand :D

my friend and i used to call them the "great wall of china"

1F2FRFBF
03/29/2007, 03:54 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9599670#post9599670 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by tetra
I think most people, I am included, stack their tanks the way they do because that is the most efficient use of space.
Wow tetra, you have quite the little frag farm going there! Cool!

But very true what you said about the use of space. If you're looking to have a certain amount of LR in there to help keep your system balanced without having to resort to the chemicals and filters, or if you're looking to accomodate a lot of different corals, then your options are going to be limited. I've seen some threads here where people have made PVC or acrylic rod framework for their rocks, and they've come up with some pretty interesting designs. Personally I didn't want to have to drill and chip if it wasn't necessary, and I was pretty fortunate that the rock I had all seemed to fall into place without much hassle.

But I know what Inflames is talking about too, because in looking through several websites trying to get ideas for scaping a lot of them started to look the same to me. Then again, a simple wall can become a thing of beauty just by placement of the corals.

My challenge was trying to scape my corner tank without losing too much sand surface (I do want to keep some clams one of these days) and without losing too much viewing area. I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out. My future fish will have plenty of little hiding places, and my future corals will have room to grow.

Bottom line, though, is that you're the one who has to look at it every day, and if you like what you see, that's what counts.

Victoria
03/29/2007, 04:55 PM
What I really like to see in a tank is less rock and more coral. But not a one of every type of coral you can get. I like to see a healthy, natural looking tank. Really no matter what the size. Here mine. 29 gal all grown from very small frags.
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e284/VICTORIARAW/tankmarch023-1.jpg

vessxpress1
03/29/2007, 05:07 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9598494#post9598494 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Inflames
Why does every tank i see have the same old pile of rocks dropped in the center like mother nature took a dump in the sand? What ever happened to trying a new setup or new ideas instead of just following the last guy with the same aquascaping and boring layout?

There's only so much you can do with a 3 ft tank. Mine's like a rock wall and I just re-did the whole thing. I was trying to avoid it this time but I couldn't.

Say for example I wanted to have one corner filled with rock (would take about 2 or 3 rocks) and a one rock island on the other side. It would look neat, but then I'd have hardly any liverock in my tank and nowhere to put coral. I'd have to get rid of half my stuff. If I get a 6 footer some day, I'll have the most creative rockwork you've ever seen.

Besides that, I think tanks tend to look more like a wall in a picture than they are in reality. Most rocks have a lot of jagged edges and outcroppings that do make it more interesting and more three dimensional, in person. It's hard to fully capture the details in full tank shots.

Coral selection is what does it for me. If it's a tank full of nice, healthy coral under good lighting, who cares what the rockwork is? Eventually, you won't be able to see the rocks anyway.

awestruck
03/29/2007, 05:17 PM
I have yet to see a tank I disliked no matter how it's aquascaped. Also, I know many people only like tanks if none of the rock is showing. My preference is to see some of the rock because some of the rock is beautiful and I think it looks more natural (and, my bicolor blenny hides in a hole on the top of one of my rocks, and where would he go if everything was covered?!)

dcombs44
03/29/2007, 05:26 PM
My point was going to be: Have you ever tried to aquascape a 4 ft long tank that's only a foot front to back. Not easily done my friend. I really had the notion of doing something different with my 55, but it's just not feasible with the crammed space, and I stacked the rock in the lfs on the floor to try to select complementing pieces. I think it's more of a limitation than a choice in many cases.

Paul B
03/29/2007, 06:30 PM
If anyone has links to tanks that look different by all means please post them, id like to see something different.

No rock wall here

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/13094Bud_can.jpg
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/13094PVC_rock_001.jpg
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/13094copy_of_1317.JPG
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/13094whole_tank_seaweed.jpg

Inflames
03/29/2007, 06:44 PM
OMG is that Gravity In A Jar? You lucky man! Those are SUPER RARE!

sambo123
03/29/2007, 07:55 PM
I think it is!!! I want some of the neon green, tell me when you frag! Hey InFlames, how you liking the LE Thong gravity I sent you?

michaeldaly
03/30/2007, 05:38 AM
So inflames lets see a picture of your original rock structure.

Flatlander
03/30/2007, 08:27 AM
Whats the matter with rock walls. I like rock walls. :) I like the fruit stand look. :) Something wrong with that. And many others like that style look also.

:lol: I have done other looks, including the original post about the rock looking like a pile of dung in the middle, which seems popular in some bare bottomed tanks now.

Does everyone forget about the fish. Limit your rock and limit your fish,s place to hide. Its not all about just swimming. They need lots of hidey spots and places to swim in and out of, to feel safe.

Limit yer rock. Where do you place frags then? All on the same rock? :D

I LOVE ROCK WALLS. So there. :lol:

SptfireXIV
03/30/2007, 09:01 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9600597#post9600597 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Victoria
What I really like to see in a tank is less rock and more coral. But not a one of every type of coral you can get. I like to see a healthy, natural looking tank. Really no matter what the size. Here mine. 29 gal all grown from very small frags.

+1 Less is more.

I know it all comes down to personal preference, but I'm not a fan of the fruit stand look either. I can understand sacrificing aesthetics for functionality in a prop tank, but not in the main display.

I also disagree that you can't do anything interesting with a 3 foot long tank. Its the depth that limits options, not the length.

P.S. ZOMG PaulB must be one of the original cultivators of gravity in a jar!

MrSpiffy
03/30/2007, 10:04 AM
You know, if you want more open sand area without needing chemicals/supplements because you're low on live rock, you can always add more LR to your sump to make up for what's not in the tank.

Also, here's a cool thread about Sanjay's aquascaping. I think he did a pretty sweet job with those pillar-shaped structures! (Scroll down a little bit to see the pics.) I definitely bookmarked that thread!!

Sanjay's aquascaping thread (http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=730564&perpage=25&pagenumber=28)

SptfireXIV
03/30/2007, 10:12 AM
His tank is pretty much the only tank I've seen that could make the pillars look natural.

Tang Salad
03/30/2007, 10:15 AM
I think part of the problem the OP mentioned is that photographs tend to flatten reality.

I have a feeling that if viewed in person, these Walls of Rock tanks would be much more interesting and visually stimulating. They'd have a lot more depth of field.

corals b 4 bills
03/30/2007, 10:38 AM
Does anyone dive? most of the ocean (when your closer to the reefs) look like a rock wall.....(smaller tanks), and when your farther away it looks like it has ledges, caves and shapes...(larger tanks), I have the fruit stand because I am a coral Wh*re and I buy what I like and need the room for more, also the rock does not touch the back of my tank for detritus removal. I don't particularly like the wall look but that's how most tanks end up. Everyone knows that if they started fresh with a new 1000 gallon tank they would create some cool structures, but give them a million dollars and it would be a big rock wall again.

ralphie16
03/30/2007, 10:57 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9600597#post9600597 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Victoria
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e284/VICTORIARAW/tankmarch023-1.jpg

I just set up a 45 cube and your tank is my new idol tank. Thanks for the inspiration! ( I even have the same blenny you do...red sea mimic, right?)

Here is my old aquascape in my 125. All the caves and everythign is hollow supported in PVC so I get tremendous flow (90x turnover) all over the tank.

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/126212DSC01158__Small_.JPGhttp://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/126212DSC01158__Small_.JPG

SDguy
03/30/2007, 01:22 PM
I though my pillars turned out quite nice :)

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=746318&perpage=&pagenumber=3

Crusty Old Shellback
03/30/2007, 01:30 PM
I have a True rock wall. :D But that's because my tank is 3' tall and I wanted to hide my center overflow box so I built a rock wall around it. :D

But I also have a large island on the right side and an arch from my rock wall out to another island on the left side. It gives me plenty of room for corals as well as swimming room for my 12" plus Naso. ;) I like the way my rock wall looks.

rick s
03/30/2007, 01:34 PM
Tetra,

Very Cool Tank! Reminds me of a miniature train village layout.

Frick-n-Frags
03/30/2007, 01:38 PM
I like that one coral down inside of the plating Montipora in Victoria's really nice tank.

I also relate best to tetra's very utilitarian use of his real estate. That would be me too.

both my tanks have about the same rock wall. I designed mine for flow considerations, so they are clear across the front and the main ph is under the return on the bottom in the front corner.
the flow goes along the front bottom , then gets directed around at the other end and comes back across the top and through the back of the rocks, which is also open all along the bottom in back.
there is a ton of horizontal surface for corals.

since both tanks have the overflow and returns at the same end, they both are set up for the same flow pattern.

bottom line: mine looks like the scenery in a cheap underwater video game :D but considering my tanks are a basement science project vs livingroom art, I make no apologies.

eidillitih
03/30/2007, 02:27 PM
You know, the best tanks I've seen, you can't see the rocks that good. Most of the rock is covered in corals. SPS/LPS or softies. Look at Most tanks of the month, you can't see their rock good, SPS or Mixed. My rocks are kinda stack like a rock wall (click the red house) but when I set it up, I envision what it will look like once it's covered in corals. I have certain place where a particular coral will be place to attain the look I'm after. I'm kinda excited about this set-up, should turn out well but we'll see.

Paul B
03/30/2007, 04:20 PM
I have no problem with a rock wall, I just think it needs to have an irregular height to make it more interesting. And it is true that pictures do not show the real aquascaping of some of you guys tanks. I like it when there is a center of interest or even a semi bare area that cuts through the rock.

pscheel
03/30/2007, 04:35 PM
I like the rock wall. Mine as plenty of caves and a nice overhang in the center where I plan on putting in some Dendros.

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t22/pscheel/Picture001.jpg

Victoria
04/02/2007, 12:43 PM
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e284/VICTORIARAW/Time%20shots%20growth/CUBETANKAPRIL2005023-1.jpg

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e284/VICTORIARAW/Time%20shots%20growth/CubetankAug272005001.jpg

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e284/VICTORIARAW/Time%20shots%20growth/cubetankoct2005006.jpg

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e284/VICTORIARAW/Time%20shots%20growth/cubetankAug2006014.jpg

I have had to remove more rock as the coral grew to make more room.
Victoria

chewie
04/02/2007, 12:54 PM
Nice tank Victoria!

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Or was that beerholder?