PDA

View Full Version : New Setup Question - Help please

Neurotech
03/28/2007, 08:22 AM
I just started my second tank. It is my first with sump. I have 250 watts MH over a 54 corner. I have a bunch of mature live rock from my established tank, as well as a bunch of excellent live sand in the sump. Will I go through a cycle? This will be my first SPS tank. When can I add the SPS?

mwhite
03/28/2007, 11:16 AM
If you are careful and don;t leave the LR out for long enough to cause a die off, it will probably be OK. I would suggest using new sand in the new tank and sump, and adding a bit of the sand from the old tank to innoculate it with the sand fauna. If you transfer all of the old sand it will get mixed up and probably release a lot of detritis that could cause problems.

Neurotech
03/28/2007, 04:45 PM
No I used sand from a different tank in the sump, and I am going barebottom with this sps tank. The LR was out for about eight seconds. I just walked it across the room. :)

zoomfish1
03/28/2007, 04:52 PM
You shouldn't have much of a cycle, if any. I would test for a week or so to be sure. I would add slowly, but not sure when to say. Check on the SPS forum. You'll get better answers there on when you can add them.