PDA

View Full Version : 210 finally going up, comments on fish list?

LisaD
03/27/2007, 11:01 PM
OK, finally I can get the 210 up and running. Can I get comments on this list?

Here are the six fish I have for this tank and their current sizes:

-Magnificent foxface - 6 or 7"
-Indian triggerfish (Melichthys indicus) - GORGEOUS, never seen this fish before, just got it today from Diver's Den at liveaquaria - 5"
-Brazilian dragon moray (Muraena melanotis) - same source as above, have wanted one of these beauties for years! - 14-16"
-Koran angel (mine is a changing juvenile, ~ 4 inches)
-LaMarck angel pair (I have one right now)

I want to add:

-Mimic tang
-Australian harlequin tuskfish

The tank is a AGA RR 210 (~72" x 24" x 28" tall), decent sump and Euroreef skimmer, ~250-300 lbs live rock, shallow sand bed or bare bottom.

Will the tank be overstocked with the last two additions? Any different combinations to suggest? The fish listed at the top I already do have (spread out in three other tanks, while the 210 is in the works).

The fish are good sized, though none get ginormous. The Koran is probably the fish with the largest size potential (12-14"). The trigger (it's not a pinktail or a durgon) wouldn't get over 10-12", the moray would probably max out at three feet. I think LaMarck's angels and foxface would stay under 9 inches... Mimic tang and tusk are in the same range...

justinl
03/27/2007, 11:14 PM
I love dragon morays... beautiful creatures. If i had the cash Id get one. I don't know if you know but they are very aggressive and are known fish eaters. Theyd do best in a species only tank. You've been warned.

mind posting a pic of your dragon? :D

LisaD
03/28/2007, 05:30 AM
The eel I have is not a true dragon moray, like the gorgeous and expensive Hawaiian dragon moray, Enchylcore pardalis, the ones that go for around $1000. My eel is in a different family (the horned morays) and is also known as the black ear moray. It also cost a fraction of what a Hawaiian dragon moray would go for. I don't have a pic, it's hiding in the rocks, but here is a link to an image from Atlantis Aquarium (LFS in CA) that looks exactly like it:

Brazilian dragon moray (http://www.atlantisaquarium.net/images/DSCN4121.JPG)

These eels are also fish eaters, but nothing like the true dragon morays for aggressiveness. And honestly, I look their look more, even though they aren't as colorful.

spotfin
03/28/2007, 06:26 AM
Nice eel! I remember seeing it in the Diver's Den.

Titan*69
03/28/2007, 08:08 AM
Lisa first thing the tank is actually 29":D I think your list is good; 9" fish have tonnes of room. That's sort've what I'm going for....A couple bigger fish, a few mid-sized, and a bunch of little ones. If I were you I'd reconsider 300lbs of LR in that tank; unless you've got some nasty flow going on. I find little fish enjoy it, but most of mine don't even use it. They'll swim behind it for refuge that's about it. I'm going to scape mine with a half-moon on the far right side of the tank with a large peak and cave. The remainder of the tank will be open, and on that side the Tunze's will be blowing full tilt against the LR. I'll have a fish list for you later that I think you'll like :) BTW what are you useing for a pump? Flow etc.

justinl
03/28/2007, 10:39 AM
ah didn't know that. my bad. sweet looking eel though. I have to admit i prefer the vicious look of real dragons but yours is a stunner too.

LisaD
03/28/2007, 11:46 AM
Thanks justinl - for some reason, I just have a thing for that particular eel. :)

Spotfin, do you also remember the Indian Trigger? It was there around the same time. I have never seen a trigger that looks like that, it is extremely gorgeous. Now I have to put off buying spring/summer clothes for a few months.

Titan,

I'll take all I can get, 29" is better than 28"! The tank is starting to look too small. If I ever convert the garage to a living area, I'm going to get the biggest tank I can afford, as it will be on the concrete.

I like your aquascape ideas. I easily have 300+ lbs live rock I can put in the tank. I could reduce the rock in the tank by putting a bunch in the sump. It's not so much that I love the look, but I am a huge believer in live rock for good biofiltration, supporting diverse life in the tank, and contributing to ecosystem stability. I made a PVC rack that can hold it in place, so I can cram in a lot without taking too much space. I'll go back to your thread in Grim on your set-up, I remember you had some great ideas.

I have a Dolphin pump, but may switch it out. Don't remember the model, and I'm not at home to check. The problem with the tank set-up is the stand is too low, not much room for the skimmer. So I am going to put both my AquaC and my Euroreef in the sump. Is there any reason two skimmers won't work out okay? I know it's goofy, but I have them, and they are good skimmers, though IMO not enough, alone, for the 210.

As for little fish - I have a bunch of cool ones that I will add if I don't think the eel will eat them.

Thanks for the feedback!

Titan*69
03/28/2007, 02:42 PM
Lisa here's a small list I put together of not overly large fish:

Bengal snapper-little over 8"
Blue-whiptail/Banana fish-8"
Wrought Iron Butterflyfish-6" (I'd go with a pair)
Blood-red Hawkfish-little over 5"
Potter's Angel-4"
Conspicuous Angel-10"
Personifer Angel-14"
Blue-Lined Angel-10"

I understand the idea of bio-filtration, and creating a stable ecosystem, but it still boils down to a confined space with swf, and at times a struggle to keep FO systems immaculate. Depends really on how dense the rock is etc. I personally like the porous stuff that's full of holes; it's great for Triggers and small fish. Kahlini LR is the perfect stuff! I encountered space issues as well; that's why I went with a Deltec skimmer. They're 24"H and can handle a big load; H&S is another good skimmer for tight spaces. BTW, you were keeping marine fish when I was in diapers, so take what I say with a grain of salt...Lol

nickiwit
03/28/2007, 07:25 PM
I think your stocking list sounds fine. I would like to see a pic of your trigger. Very cool looking eel.

LisaD
03/28/2007, 09:56 PM
Titan, that is a cool fish list. The wrought iron butterflies and the conspicillatus angel are going to put you back at least $3-4K aren't they? The personifer and blue line will put you out at least another $500, no? I don't know what the others go for...

I do like the Chaetodontoplus angels a lot, and have been toying with the idea of replacing one or two of the fish on my list with a scribbled angel and/or blue spotted angel... Do you think three of the same genus would do ok together in your tank? I don't have a lot of experience with this group, but they are gorgeous. So many fish, so few gallons...

nickiwit, I am the lamest about posting pics. But I promise, once the new tank (with decent lighting) is up, I will post pics. The tank with the trigger (my 120) is very dimly lit, so it's hard to get decent pics.

spotfin
03/29/2007, 06:21 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9590206#post9590206 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by LisaD
Thanks justinl - for some reason, I just have a thing for that particular eel. :)

Spotfin, do you also remember the Indian Trigger? It was there around the same time. I have never seen a trigger that looks like that, it is extremely gorgeous. Now I have to put off buying spring/summer clothes for a few months.

I don't remember it at the moment. I'm sure I saw it though. was really impressed with the eel though! Please post some pictures!

Titan*69
03/31/2007, 10:32 AM
The Blue-lined angels aren't very expensive, but some of the others indeed are. I don't think mixing chaetodontoplus would be a problem in a fair-sized tank. I'm sure there could be issues with holacanthus; either bullying or for example the Rock Beauty sampling other fishes slime coat. Pomacanthus could cause some territory issues as well in a small tank....I could've picked up an adult Blue-Lined(Vietnam) last week for $250. My lfs owner wouldn't bring it in on the advice of the wholesaler. It'd been in it's formailine saturated shipping water for too long, and was showing signs of fading. He won't sell anything that's not eating! I bought a beautiful tank-raised orchid dottback a few weeks ago. Once it finally went in the tank; my Picasso ate it! Expensive meal for a 4" fish.

LisaD
04/03/2007, 02:33 PM
I just succumbed to Diver's Den again at Liveaquaria and got a Jansen's saddle wrasse to substitute for one of the fish I don't yet have. Anyone have experience with this fish?

I have seen other images, and have never seen these kinds of colors, with all that blue. IME, the Diver's Den pictures are great representations of the fish. From the reading I've done, I'm not worried about keeping it, but would welcome any feedback or experiences any of you can share...

EDIT: Sorry the image comes up goofy, I am not too experienced with attaching images. Had to convert this to pdf and it got turned sideways and looked blurrier than the original... Still, is that not the neatest looking fish???!!!!