PDA

View Full Version : JBJ ATO Unit - Water continues to flow!

ferraral
03/27/2007, 02:44 PM
I have just purchased the JBJ ATO unit and I have an issue with my reservoir to sump configuration. My reservoir is a 110 gallon tank on a stand behind my main display tank, which makes my pump higher than my sump considering it sits directly on the bottom of the reservoir. My problem is that when the pump is turned off by the ATO unit it continues to pump water into the sump. I understand that problem occurs because of pump being higher than the sump but do you know of any way this configuration could work? I would like to continue to use the reservoir on the stand so I am hoping for another option.

Thank You in advance

jbd010
03/27/2007, 03:01 PM
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1080885

Check it out, this guy had the exact same issue.

Best of Luck!

30mini
03/27/2007, 03:01 PM
Since your reservior is higher than your actual sump, why not just use gravity to your advantage... ditch the pump, and just put a float valve in your sump which will cut off the water supply where you want it! JMO

scrager
03/28/2007, 10:51 AM
pump your top off water in to your tank's overflow. the tank overflow should be higher than your reservoir i am guessing. The fresh water will mix with the salt water in the overflow on the way to the sump. your fish won't know the difference and a siphon won't start.

your other option is like the other thread said. drill holes in your ato line right above the water level in the reservoir to break the siphon when the pump stops.

college429
03/28/2007, 01:32 PM
Yes, as scrager said you want to break the siphon. I had a similar problem. Another solution is to pump the water to the top of the reservoir and then have it fall into a larger diameter pvc pipe that goes to the sump. There will be no siphon this way.

chaffey
03/28/2007, 02:12 PM
add a float valve or raise the tube higher then the R/O tank so when the pump turn off the high will break of the siphon due to gravity.

ReefObsessor805
03/28/2007, 03:04 PM
Does anyone have a picture of there JBJ ATO system?

I am purchasing it this weekend or I might just do it from Autotopoff's website (different company).

So are the JBJ's efficient and reliable?

college429
03/29/2007, 06:36 AM
I like my JBJ, I've been using it for about a year. I looked into the do it yourself ones, but I think when all said and done it would cost almost the same to put together the same thing as the JBJ and the jbj would be built better than mine and have a warranty.

ReefObsessor805
03/29/2007, 04:13 PM
Nice. I read the a couple reviews on the JBJ ATO and all of them were positive. Some reefers had no problems w/ the system for 2 yrs. plus! I found a JBJ on sale at my LFS; I am getting it this weekend and setting up my ATO system w/ a 5 gallon bucket! Sweeet.