PDA

View Full Version : What is a macro regarding cameras?

2fishy
03/27/2007, 08:18 AM
And how do I figure out if my camera has it? And how do you tell what the ISO is? This is really bugging me! I can't figure this out!

Now I know how my mom felt when she couldn't figure out how to use a remote control!:(

And now I can't figure out what I am doing wrong with resizing picture for an avatar. I can get it down to 150 X 150 but then it tells me it's more then 8197 bytes (not sure if that's the right number?)

On the upside, I could figure out how to go into the deep dark corners of the computer and found "paint" and got it back to active status so I could use it!:D

It's a Kodak Z650 EasyShare.

chrisstie
03/27/2007, 08:36 AM
Macro is a setting that lets you take closeup pictures that are clear..

Maybe this will help?
http://www.kodak.com/global/en/service/publications/urg00506toc.jhtml?pq-path=8747

If your avatar is the right size pixel wise but too large in "byte" size, you need to reduce the amount of colors its using to make the picture file smaller.. Right now its like fitting a 10 lb ham into a 3lb can.. there should be an option to reduce color depth in whatever program you are using (not paint)

there's a few good picture viewer\free editors out there if you look for them that should help do the trick since paint is pretty limited

BLKTANG
03/27/2007, 08:38 AM
It looks like a little flower.

2fishy
03/27/2007, 08:40 AM
Thanks, Chrisstie! I will check out that site! Stupid instruction manual isn't giving me the answers I'm looking for!:( :lol:

2fishy
03/27/2007, 08:42 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9580356#post9580356 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by BLKTANG
It looks like a little flower.

Hey, I know where that button is! Thanks, BLKTANG!:D

chrisstie
03/27/2007, 08:42 AM
If all else fails you can do what my husband does and intuitively mash buttons until you're relatively certain you've made it do something.. and get lucky your pictures come out nice :)

The ISO setting should be obvious, i would think, but then again im .. button mashy as welll haha

2fishy
03/27/2007, 08:50 AM
That's what I've been doing!:lol: Then I saw all the pretty pictures and I was certain we should have bought a Cannon. Then beerguy went and posted that anyone could take a picture with practice, making me think it's not the camera, that it's the photographer!:(

dinoman
03/27/2007, 08:52 AM
:) In the basic of the basic terms - a macro refers to typically an extreme "close-up" of an bject. That description is kinda misleading and leaves a lot out but without getting too complicated that'll suffice ;) (a true macro refers to a 1:1 ratio between the object size and the size it appears on the camera sensor - 1:1 - true macro, 2mm of object is 2mm on the sensor. I don't think you need to know all that though do you? ;))

On most fixed lens cameras now-a-days the "macro mode" is usually designated by a small flower or something similar. In a non-fixed lens camera (AKA SLR, few other types) there is no macro mode. The macro is a factor of the lens you're using.

:) As far as the avatar - make sure its under 150x150 and 7.9kb (7.9kb~8100bytes). There is several free image resizers out there though I've never messed with any of them. I know several people use Irfanview.

dinoman
03/27/2007, 08:56 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9580444#post9580444 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by 2fishy
That's what I've been doing!:lol: Then I saw all the pretty pictures and I was certain we should have bought a Cannon. Then beerguy went and posted that anyone could take a picture with practice, making me think it's not the camera, that it's the photographer!:(

:D 95% Photographer, 3% equipment, 20% luck.

And the ISO should probably show up as one of the display settings on the LCD, probably a number something like AUTO, 50, 100, 200, 400...etc....

2fishy
03/27/2007, 09:00 AM
Thanks, dino! I'll check out the Irfanview! Hopefully I will be able to figure this out! Hubby takes awesome pictures. I need to work on mine!:D

Aliie
03/27/2007, 12:41 PM
I usualy take pretty good pictures too, but I do have troule with the Macro. I am still working on it. If you figure it out let me know!! :)

kryppy
03/27/2007, 01:58 PM
This is a macro.

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g167/kr-yppy/macro/urch.jpg

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g167/kr-yppy/macro/cl.jpg

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g167/kr-yppy/macro/th_MVI_1232.jpg (http://s56.photobucket.com/albums/g167/kr-yppy/macro/?action=view&current=MVI_1232.flv)

Aliie
03/27/2007, 02:10 PM
We get that it's close up picture taking. I realy think that part we can handle.

For me......they always turn out blurry. So how do you keep the close up in focus? BTW the first pic is really gross loking, hope it looks better on regular pic mode.

VoidRaven
03/27/2007, 02:16 PM
Part is knowing how close you can get for the close-up. Cameras have a "minimum focus distance" that dictates how close you can get and still "focus" the camera. For example, a lens/camera may have a minimum focus distance of 6 inches....that means that the front of the lens can get within 6 inches of the subject and still focus. Any closer and it won't focus.

Also, supporting the camera to keep it steady helps with the focusing. Tripod, monopod, stack of books, backpack, whatever....something to help kepe the camera steady while taking the shot.

Third...LUCK! And lots of it.

Aliie
03/27/2007, 04:42 PM
I just tried to take some pics with the macro setting. Some of them are okay, close but not nearly close like these. I have a magnify setting but couldn't get the box to clear up to take the pic. I don't seem to have the shaky hand pics just not focused.

Why when I lean down to take a pic......when I stand up the pic is turned sideways?

dinoman
03/27/2007, 06:18 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9583895#post9583895 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Aliie
Why when I lean down to take a pic......when I stand up the pic is turned sideways?

:) I can't really answer the first one since it could be a whole host of issues - one thing that hasn't been said yet but on a lot of fixed-lens cameras with the macro mode setting. Lot of time they have two different minimum focusing distances, one say 6" when you're "zoomed all the way out" (aka - wide angle) and as soon as you zoom in it jumps to 10". Lot of times you might also have to manually focus your camera while you're in macro mode (in an SLR this is actually preferred - but manually focusing in an SLR is an entirely different beast) it depends on the camera if it'll auto focus while in macro mode or not.

To the question above though, many (not all) cameras now have an orientation sensor in them. All it does is detect if a camera is tipped up on end or being held horizontally. Being that we're on earth they work on gravity so depending on how the camera is tipped that little sensor in there will be screaming "CAMERA IS IN PORTRAIT VIEW! TURN THE PICTURE! TURN THE PICTURE!" Usually you can turn the orientation sensor off somewhere in one of the options. Some cameras might not be able to, just have to search around or look through the manual (yes....that big book that came with the camera when it was brand new that only us camera geeks ever read :p)

Aliie
03/27/2007, 09:25 PM
THANKS DINO!!! I'll keep working on the distance part and the zoom and focus.

Book!! What book?? Yeah I know, but the biggest problem with the book is.................well you already know.

I'll check the camera for this orientation sensor. Makes sence that it would have one. Thanks again for your info sharing.