PDA

View Full Version : Is my Phos reactor fluidizing properly?

yraveh
03/27/2007, 05:25 AM
Good Morning.

I have installed yesterday a 2 little Fish Phosban Reactor with Rowaphos media (~200ml). I am running it with MiniJet 404 at maximum 106 GPH . the flow valve is wide open. However I see only the top 1" of the media fluidizing. The lower 2/3 of the media seems packed.
Is this is how it supposed to be?

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/145349reactor.jpg

Can the media harden to a rock in its lower part? If so, will I be able to remove it?

jdieck
03/27/2007, 07:49 AM
Yes you will be able to remove it as it does not harden as much, on the fluidization actually it is not so the flow should be barely enough to rise the media (Rather than fluidize it) and you shall be able to see just some movement on the surface of the media but I think the top 1 fluidizing might be too much flow.
By the way, Phosban and Rowa tend to chanel trough the media. There is a product PHOsR that is pelletized and will give you better unifor flow across the media.

yraveh
03/27/2007, 08:00 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9580074#post9580074 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jdieck
the flow should be barely enough to rise the media (Rather than fluidize it) and you shall be able to see just some mobement on the surface of the media but I think the top 1 fluidizing might be too much flow.

Great! i am relieved to know that the pump is strong enough. I thought the whole media is supposed to be swirling all over the water column inside the reactor. I will adjust it down.

Phosar was my first priority. marinedepot does not sell it and I wanted to take advantage of the free shipping. I am looking for the PHosar HC for my next purchase.

jdieck
03/27/2007, 08:20 AM
Note that PHOsR HC although it has higher capacity for adsorption is not pelletized.