PDA

View Full Version : Snails and Hermit Crabs how much bio-load

gistsc
03/26/2007, 03:45 PM
I ordered a Emerald crab yesterday, and I could not help myself, so I also orded 10 blue leg hermits. My question is how much bio-load impact will these have on a 29 gal tank? I already have 4 crabs and 8 snails in the tank now. There are no other inhabitents in the tank. I do have a QT set up for them and will have them in there for a month. Just want to know if that is too many?

Bebo77
03/26/2007, 03:46 PM
no impact at all

and no dont qt snails...

papagimp
03/26/2007, 03:47 PM
Their bioload won't be noticable in the tank. Too small. Unless their dead, then they'll add a bit.

I wouldn't worry about the bioload addition, I would worry about them starving from lack of foods. Enjoy your 8 snails why you can, those 10 blue legged hermits are probably going to go house shopping soon after being added to the tank.

Bambalam
03/26/2007, 05:15 PM
I got rid of every blueleg in my reef after seeing the same things day after day:

They don't eat algea and they are constantly fighting.

Some folks might disagree, but this is my experience with them.

papagimp
03/26/2007, 05:20 PM
Blue legged hermits are opportunistic, they don't eat algae, they eat whatever their claws can grab. And they tend to go around killing snails to try on their shells. Doesn't even matter if the shell won't fit em, they still kill the snail and try it out. So annoying.