PDA

View Full Version : Anyone want to ID this guy.

rkl303
03/25/2007, 10:53 PM
I found him at a local fish shop and the owner said it was strange of me to spot him since hes so tiny and is always under a rock...kind of hope he becomes more outgoing in my tank.

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t139/rleejunk/Fish.jpg

He reminds me of a hawk fish because hes spotted and just likes to sit in the water but his dorsal fin is kind of unusual and the owner said that it reminds him of an antias.

The shop had some other cool rarer/$$$ fish as well. They had a mystery wrasse, herichi, and one other fish that I couldn't really identify but was a burgendy color(also shy as well).

LisaD
03/25/2007, 11:05 PM
It looks like a geometric pygmy hawkfish to me - see link:

http://www.marinecenter.com/fish/hawkfish/geometricpygmyhawk/

Hurley675
03/25/2007, 11:41 PM
Its a type of Anthia Actually, If you have the Reef Aquarium Guide to Fishes by Scott W. Micheal its on pg. 66

Heres the Facts:

plectranthias inermis

Armed Perchlet

Max Length: 2 Inch
needs 10 gallon tank
the description says it a secretive fish and likes to hide alot they often come out to eat small crustations and tiny fish.

There cool lil fish don't do to much, I have had them come into my LFS that I work at and they where always cool and peaceful, there not very aggressive at all but just watch out for your shrimp.

Scottkelly911
03/26/2007, 02:45 AM
I had a pygmy geometric hawk and only saw him hiding under a rock for about a week, then disappeared never to be seen again. I mean who knows, maybe he's still alive, but I'd never know it if he were.

Sigmund
03/26/2007, 10:27 AM
If your other tankmates are not too large or boisterous it will generally become more outgoing, and will be more aggressive during feeding time so that spot feeding is not required.

I have mine in a 125 gallon - and whenever I'm around he is outfront and ready to be fed...

falconut
03/26/2007, 11:29 AM
I've had mine for about 2-1/2 months now. I didn't see him for the first 3 weeks after I put him in. Then I started to see him when I feed the tank, but mainly at cave openings. Now, I see him a lot more. I can usually see him most of the time, still hanging at the edges of the caves. Cool little fish.

Hypsoblennius
03/26/2007, 11:54 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9570123#post9570123 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Hurley675
Its a type of Anthia Actually, If you have the Reef Aquarium Guide to Fishes by Scott W. Micheal its on pg. 66

Heres the Facts:

plectranthias inermis

Armed Perchlet

Max Length: 2 Inch
needs 10 gallon tank
the description says it a secretive fish and likes to hide alot they often come out to eat small crustations and tiny fish.

True, they are lumped in with the Anthias group (fishbase Serranidae (Sea basses: groupers and fairy basslets), subfamily: Anthiinae, link: http://filaman.ifm-geomar.de/Summary/speciesSummary.php?ID=26735&genusname=Plectranthias&speciesname=inermis)

But, they are often sold as Geometric Pygmy Hawkfish...

SVXH6
03/26/2007, 02:22 PM
a guy in my local reef club didnt see his for nine months, then he just re-appeared. very secretive fish.

Rothie
04/01/2007, 05:46 PM
I have had mine for close to 2 years.He is always out laying on a rock or a coral.He has been a perfect reef citizen and is very colorful.I would not rate him very high on personality,though.