PDA

View Full Version : sand sifter for fine sand

dlsmith21
03/24/2007, 11:03 AM
I have oolite sand in my reef tank. I am wanting some type of sifter for it. I have blue legs and red legs along with a few snails and a cucumber. Oops, forgot my serpent star. My sand still looks horrible. I have a watchman in my 75. He does a great job but he buries everything to the point that I am in there with the turkey baster every other day. I was thinking a watchman wouldn't work with it being oolite and that he would bury my corals. Can anybody give me advice on what would work ? Thanks !!

drstupid
03/24/2007, 02:35 PM
i've got the same sand. cerith and nassarius snails help a lot, and i've got two carribean burrowing conches. i added about 200 ceriths to my 120, the nassarius population is huge, all from three i moved over from an old tank. nassarius are a great addition, they'll multiply like crazy when the environment requires it, die off when it doesn't.

i have a DSB, and need to stir the top every 3-4 days or so, just to release nitrogen bubbles. that's sort of standard procedure; tom's aquatics has a neat multi-tool device with a sort of zen rake attachment, you can just sit there and stir the sand, level it back out, release bubbles, get some clean sand up to the surface... it's very relaxing, even my wife loves to do it.