PDA

View Full Version : Do Tiger Tail Cucumbers have babies or lay eggs?

hwsva
08/19/2002, 03:53 PM
I have 2 tiger tail cucumbers with my package from TBSW. Well one of them always stayed in the corner where my heater is. I noticed this morning that its moved away from the corner and it seems longer and thinner and on the end it seems to have a big opening. Not far from where it stayed for the last week or so, I see this whitish oval thing (about half inch) that seems to have bumps on it like a sea cucumber. Did my cucumber give birth or is it another unidentified critter?

joezkool
08/19/2002, 08:57 PM
I believe as with all invertabrates, they lay eggs, or store eggs. You may be looking at another creature who hitch-hiked with your cuke. Is the thing moving? If not it may be poop or something...hehe.

Joe

joefish
08/19/2002, 09:22 PM
My tiger tail split ,and now I have 2.:D I thought that was their means of reproduction , but maybee they lay eggs or give birth too.:confused:

reptilicus
08/19/2002, 09:56 PM
G'day,
Holothurians can reproduce either sexually or asexually (as joefish found out!). When the reproduce sexually they are mass demersal spawners, releasing eggs and sperm into the water column.
Regards,
Tom

K. Lee
08/20/2002, 01:57 AM
From the sounds of it, and not knowing the size of the cucumber or how big a sea cucumber's guts are, it sounds like it eviscerated itself.

hwsva
08/20/2002, 06:17 AM
It's alive! I yanked it out of the tank, saw that it had little tentacles all over its body. Since then, I've put it back in the tank and this morning when I checked on it, it was about half inch in length...it stretched out I guess....oh well another living critter for me to identify :D