PDA

View Full Version : more duncan info please

szwab
03/22/2007, 10:54 PM
just got this Duncan about a week ago along with another. This one is not opening up as much as the other. I have read as much as I can through google searches. I have been feeding them about eery other day. I would like to get some first hand info from folks who have them. thanks in advance. here is a pi although not a very good one. Lighting is a 400 watt radium on an HQI ballast supplimented by 2 54watt t-5's
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/12002duncan-med.jpg

John Kelly
03/23/2007, 12:03 AM
It looks bleached. Corals don't open up and extend their polyps as far when they are bleached.

chrisstie
03/23/2007, 12:14 AM
Actually that one isnt bleached it looks like one of Roes Duncans from the yellow or bicolor color morphs.. I have one that is white\yellow like it too :) In fact, I think a bunch of us do now..

Mine seems very sensative to stuff swimming around it and will shut up.. I feed about every toher day too - i put a mysis or two in its tentacles and have to guard it while it eats so my cleaner shrimp dont steal its food...

Also assuming your water and lights are fine (these are.. theres' a word for it but partially photosynthetic?) check around its base to see if it isnt starting to make babies. I think they might partially close up for a time to do this.

Cscweitzer on here (i probably spelled it wrong sorry craig, i swear i have some form of dislexia) might be able to offer a little more info he's got quite a small collection of duncans going lately :) - if you can't find him pop over to the ORCA club forum and he's on there

I hope this helps :)

szwab
03/23/2007, 12:20 AM
thanks!
and yes it's a bicolor
my yellow one opens up about 2x the size but it's size in general is also much larger than this one

triggerfreak
03/23/2007, 06:15 AM
What type of flow do you have it in. Also how high do you have it in your tank. I got a purple one from roe's about 2 weeks ago.They are a low light coral and from what i have seen from mine is it likes low flow. I put mine in a low flow area of the tank and at the bottom. Also i feed mine chunks of krill everyday and now its open about twice the size of when i first got it in the tank.

ktar
03/23/2007, 09:41 AM
sometime it just take them time to get use to the light and waterflow give it a few days and it will slowly open up. when i got my ora duncan it didnt open up until like a week.

impur
03/23/2007, 12:58 PM
Mine is from Roe's as well. I started with 2 polyps about 2 months ago and now have 6! I have fed it a total of 3 times, otherwise it gets what it can catch. I have it on the sandbed of my tank lit by a 6-54w TEK T5 fixture and it gets a lot of random flow.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v292/impur/100_0180.jpg

Engine 7
03/23/2007, 01:02 PM
Beautiful :) It does look healthy. Whenever someone posts a picture of something that is white, cream colored, or just light yellow there is always someone who claims it "looks bleached" :D

Take your time...

reefkoi
03/24/2007, 07:35 AM
I was target feeding mine every other day, good growth but poylp ext. wasn't big.
I quit target feeding all together and now they are huge like 2" in dia. at least.
Still growing also, I'd say they have tripled on the last couple months.
I do feed phyto and arctipods almost daily so maybe they are doing good by having to catch their own food and therefore needing that larger size and polyp ext.
Chris

ENraged
03/24/2007, 09:24 AM
I feed mine once a day Monday-Friday and they are doing fine.
I have a lower light all-in-on so mine are higher in the tank but it seems flow is what was making mine unhappy once i moved them to a higher flow area they opened up

szwab
03/24/2007, 11:21 AM
I did end up moving my yellow one lower in the tank and it seems a bit happier there. Seems as though they are not very picky corals.

impur
03/24/2007, 02:45 PM
Anyone know how to frag these? Just cut the polyp off or what?

szwab
03/25/2007, 12:23 AM
use a dremel and saw the polyps from the colony