PDA

View Full Version : Bubble Coral

scottydawg
08/18/2002, 08:53 PM
I purchased a bubble coral today and wanted to make sure I place him properly and keep him happy. I did a search and found they are fairly hardy but some people feed them directly with some frozen Formula 1. Should I feed him? If so how? Placement? Lighting?

Thanks!

MalHavoc
08/18/2002, 09:00 PM
Bubble corals do well under low to medium current. You want enough current to make the polyps sway back and forth (to expose each polyp to light, and to flush away waste), but not to prevent the coral from opening fully.

They do well under medium to high light intensities. I've kept one for 3 years under 4x40w fluorescent lights, and it's massive now (over a foot across, when open).

I spot feed mine with ripped up pieces of cocktail shrimp, usually once a week. I just carefully insert the shrimp pieces between the bubbles, or wait until nighttime when the feeder tentacles are out.

tyoberg
08/18/2002, 09:36 PM
I would like to add that if there's another coral nearby, it'll put out some long sweepers (4"+) to sting it. It's also best to put it on the sandbed--you down want it to get knocked over.

I feed mine every 2-4 weeks. I'll give it formula 1 or any uncooked seafood I have (fish, shellfish, scallops, shrimp, krill, silversides) usually a chunk about the size of 1 or 2 peas. They grow very quickly if you feed once a week.

Ty

scottydawg
08/18/2002, 09:41 PM
Ty and Jason thanks for the quick response. Since the tank is fairly new (5 months) there is very little in it but, I did place it about 2" away from a toadstool. Is that way too close?

tyoberg
08/18/2002, 09:45 PM
If it's downstream, then it might be ok. Otherwise, definitely move one of them away.

MalHavoc
08/18/2002, 09:59 PM
Yeah, I'll second tyoberg's opinion... I'd move it if it was downstream. You might want to move it anyway, because if it's happy where it is and you're feeding it, it'll grow more than 2 inches pretty fast.

scottydawg
08/19/2002, 01:34 AM
Thanks, I moved it so it is 9 inches away and a bit higher than the toadstool too. He is already starting to let his bubbles out, looks healthy. Now I just have to return the two foolish purchases in the morning, a flowerpot and a carnation...I love bad advise from the LFS.